Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shady Sky Club bartender

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: SE100K
I am confused as to why you have to pay for alcohol in an airport lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yoga
I am confused as to why you have to pay for alcohol in an airport lounge.
Welcome to America
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The bartender wasn't shady, just mistaken. They had nothing to gain from the price error.

Yes, it's a bit much for them to say the menu is a misprint, but then again, people are dumb sometimes. You know, they can't read a menu, can't do math, don't know metric, don't think a single serving bottle is 'a bottle', don't understand that $14 can't buy a full size bottle of Moet, etc.

Hopefully at least the bartender learned something from this experience!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many people know how big a wine bottle is in the English system of measurement?
canadians, surprisingly. they call the 750ml of liquor a two-six
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia

Free in Cathay/Singapore lounges - only in America does the religious right create laws against free drink.
I was slightly underwhelmed by the offerings in the CX F lounge in HKG for Champagne and Scotch but then again it was premium and complimentary.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many people know how big a wine bottle is in the English system of measurement?
There are modifier words associated with "bottle": 1/2 (375 ml), full (750 ml), and more Magnum, Jeroboam even up to Nabuchadnezzar.
To complicate things even more a standard "bottle" in the USA is 75cl, in EU 70cl. At https://www.diffordsguide.com/encycl...y-bottle-sizes this issue is discussed.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia

Free in Cathay/Singapore lounges - only in America does the religious right create laws against free drink.
It has nothing to do with laws but thanks for sharing your uninformed opinion
sky303 and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:13 am

How is Laurent Perrier if you are used to something like Veuve Clicquot?. If I'm travelling and enjoying myself, I think I'd pay $22 for a half bottle.

Stupid question. Do I have to stand at the bar and drink my half-bottle, or am I free to take it into the lounge to enjoy with my significant other? (who I left in the lounge so he doesn't see how much I'm spending on alcohol.)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
How is Laurent Perrier if you are used to something like Veuve Clicquot?. If I'm travelling and enjoying myself, I think I'd pay $22 for a half bottle.

Stupid question. Do I have to stand at the bar and drink my half-bottle, or am I free to take it into the lounge to enjoy with my significant other? (who I left in the lounge so he doesn't see how much I'm spending on alcohol.)
They open the half bottle and give it to you and ask if you'd like 1 or 2 glasses, IME. It's good. I prefer it to Veuve personally but that's personal taste. Similar quality. It's a very good NV Brut made in the traditional method and will please almost anyone.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bergamini
They open the half bottle and give it to you and ask if you'd like 1 or 2 glasses, IME. It's good. I prefer it to Veuve personally but that's personal taste. Similar quality. It's a very good NV Brut made in the traditional method and will please almost anyone.
Ok thanks. This gives me something to look forward to.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

If you have 4,000 miles, much better value to buy the rose 750 ml bottle for 4K.

Having said that, the bar is inside the lounge. Depending on which airport you are speaking of, it's not like you are keeping your SO far away from seeing or interacting with the bar - usually it's a tens of feet of space difference, max
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I've seem people sitting at tables in the bar area of the ATL F with champagne bottles and glasses. I would assume anywhere in the lounge, including the SkyDeck is OK as long as you don't share alcohol with a minor. Obviously they wouldn't appreciate champagne in the shower because of the risk of broken glass.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 am

Thanks. I ask in case there is some rule about it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think the price as published is fair, but the menu is deceptive because it doesn't indicate that this isn't a full bottle.
There comes a point when common sense by the customer should take over regarding bottle size (if in fact it wasn't listed on the menu).

For someone that drones on about sides that SHOULD go with meals onboard, the quality of champagne/prosecco, I would think you would be familiar with the price of a FULL bottle of Moet and the common value of .01-.02 per mile. Your reaction is the only thing I perceive to be shady in this transaction.
Webogirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.