Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DTW closed 8PM 1/22 to 10AM 1/23 - now re-opened

DTW closed 8PM 1/22 to 10AM 1/23 - now re-opened

Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by LBJ
And an article from a few years back.

https://jdasolutions.aero/news-event...t-warms-up.pdf

Money quote -- "If you use enough electricity you will melt the snow, but who pays the electric bill?"

But hey, I'm sure a solar cell farm will work great in the dead of a Michigan winter.
Honestly Michigan isn't the worst place to have a solar cell farm in the winter, but my standard for adequate sunlight has fallen off a cliff since moving to Seattle.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the SC stay open late and does it look like any flights are likely to get out "tonight" in the period between midnight and the early morning bank of flights at DTW? I assume/hope that people weren't forced to leave the terminal's airside areas and sleep landside since they probably can't all get hotel rooms or even get to the hotels tonight.

In fact, is there anyone from FT in DTW tonight?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Was on the way out the door for my SEA-DTW-FLL trip when i got the dreaded Delta text message. Of course the cancelled flight was the one on which I'd gotten upgraded to FC (SEA-DTW).

At least I still got out tonight, having been rerouted through JFK, and was subsequently UG'd on the JFK-FLL flight. Not the 2k mile trip upfront I was expecting but oh well.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Was on the way out the door for my SEA-DTW-FLL trip when i got the dreaded Delta text message. Of course the cancelled flight was the one on which I'd gotten upgraded to FC (SEA-DTW).

At least I still got out tonight, having been rerouted through JFK, and was subsequently UG'd on the JFK-FLL flight. Not the 2k mile trip upfront I was expecting but oh well.
You did pretty well with that rebooking. Were you rebooked automatically, did you do it yourself on the app, or did you call the elite line or talk to an airport agent?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You did pretty well with that rebooking. Were you rebooked automatically, did you do it yourself on the app, or did you call the elite line or talk to an airport agent?
After seeing more info about the closure (and the 50 minute wait on the GM line), this is my sense as well. I was auto-rebooked in the app and was able to see some of the other options. I did, however, call the elite line because I was showing as a "seat assigned at gate" on the SEA-JFK leg, with only middle seats showing as available. Was able to score 14D, which isnt a terrible seat all things considered.

Also, this is my first real IRROPS scenario as GM and I certainly did better than I have done in the past as a non-Medallion.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Lots of diversions landing in PIT, CLE and CVG.
Most of those diverted flights on the ground are "scheduled" to resume to DTW and land prior to 1am.

A flight from LAN to DTW diverted all the way to CLE: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...351Z/KLAN/KCLE
Made me wonder if LAN had weather preventing that flight from returning. But then I saw this....
A flight from BUF to DTW diverted to LAN: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...303Z/KBUF/KLAN
Lansing was nasty during my 4:00 PM drive home last night. Anything that touched my windshield froze immediately. I would not have wanted to be anywhere near the airport last night.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:20 am

Airport now showing closed until 7 am today. Weather does show temperature rising to 40 or so today so hopefully they can reopen.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
After seeing more info about the closure (and the 50 minute wait on the GM line), this is my sense as well. I was auto-rebooked in the app and was able to see some of the other options. I did, however, call the elite line because I was showing as a "seat assigned at gate" on the SEA-JFK leg, with only middle seats showing as available. Was able to score 14D, which isnt a terrible seat all things considered.

Also, this is my first real IRROPS scenario as GM and I certainly did better than I have done in the past as a non-Medallion.
Of course GMs are treated better by DL, but nevertheless you did well.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did the SC stay open late ....
First World prob·lem
noun
INFORMAL
plural noun: First World problems
  1. a relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing world).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
so what happened to all the diversions last night to CLE, PIT etc? Did the passengers disembark and check in to hotels? I ask as the post further back said planes had planned to resume flights back to DTW by 1 am.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Dtw remains closed into the morning:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...to-icy-weather

Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Here is a link to the FAA major airports page: https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The FAA site acknowledges DTW is open but subject to significant ground delays.

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Detroit, MI (DTW). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 5 hours.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The FAA site acknowledges DTW is open but subject to significant ground delays.

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Detroit, MI (DTW). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 5 hours.
As of about 10:30 AM, The Detroit News reports only one runway is open. DTW has four NS runways and two EW ones. Not a good day to be out and about !!!!

Bob H
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...210Z/KMIA/KDTW
First arrival in DTW today. They were pretty close to having to divert.
Two flights have already deiced and departed.
Live camera: https://www.clickondetroit.com/live/...-metro-airport

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.