Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Look Back On Your Year As A Diamond Medallion Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM

Why is Delta sending me this email? Yes, I made DM for several years, but you changed the rules and my DM status ends at the end of January. Why are you taunting me with what was before but will not be in the future?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
They want to motivate you to get it back spending more MQD.
That's exactly why I wait until the last minute to choose my GUC's. To have a little satisfaction using them after the eventual demotion to PM happens.
davetravels and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by captiveguru
Why is Delta sending me this email? Yes, I made DM for several years, but you changed the rules and my DM status ends at the end of January. Why are you taunting me with what was before but will not be in the future?
Yep, it’s an up sell marketing opp for those not still diamond and a recognition/reminder to those retaining it. Sort of a win-win from the company perspective.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I got this as a platinum; I’ve never been diamond. Since it was based on data as of 11/1/18 I hadn’t even requalified as platinum. I fail to see the point of trying to make medallions feel like underachievers. Do they really think that’s an incentive?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:00 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I kind of liked it. Kind of Facebook like with the "memories." Though I assume the miles flown was just on Delta (they counted 75k) and wonder if award flights counted. It's certainly more interesting than most of the junk emails I get from Delta.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I kind of liked it. Kind of Facebook like with the "memories." Though I assume the miles flown was just on Delta (they counted 75k) and wonder if award flights counted. It's certainly more interesting than most of the junk emails I get from Delta.
I would not expect awards to be in that mix but it is quite possible that Partner flights have been left out. The number of MQMs that they showed me was about 35-40K less than what was shown on my activity, a number that correlated very closely with the Partner flights that I flew.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:17 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
I got this as a diamond who requalified as a diamond for this year. I found it interesting that it said 100% of my flights were for business (definitely not true, that's more like 25% at the most last year). I didn't go into how they calculated miles but it probably did not include one or more of Amex boosts, 150% bonuses, or partner flights -- my miles flown was less than half of my MQM total for the year.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
i just want to know who flew 473k MQMs last year
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dLo GSR
I vaguely know the guy. I think I've met him briefly once of twice, with the first time being many years ago. We definitely know people in common. [Is that one degree of separation?]
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
They want to motivate you to get it back spending more MQD.
That's exactly why I wait until the last minute to choose my GUC's. To have a little satisfaction using them after the eventual demotion to PM happens.
That is my strategy as well. The deadline is a bit more than a week away?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I did not need to be reminded that my most visited city in 2018 was Indianapolis. I also didn't need to be reminded that I visited 0 of the US News & World Report Hot Spots. What I did find interesting was that since I joined when I was in high school, as an exchange student going to Germany, that I have been a member "only" 9 years less than the longest tenured member who joined in 1981. So since I'm in my mid-40's, maybe I'll live long enough to be the longest tenured member if they keep doing these while I'm still working and/or traveling. My new goal!

Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:41 am
Formerly known as scootr29

I am ok with my 55,328 miles flown in 2018...

Do I have what it takes to win a Milestone in 2019? No!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by dLo GSR
the guy is actually 26 years old. The miles make him look older
bstv69 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by bergamini
I did not need to be reminded that my most visited city in 2018 was Indianapolis. I also didn't need to be reminded that I visited 0 of the US News & World Report Hot Spots. What I did find interesting was that since I joined when I was in high school, as an exchange student going to Germany, that I have been a member "only" 9 years less than the longest tenured member who joined in 1981. So since I'm in my mid-40's, maybe I'll live long enough to be the longest tenured member if they keep doing these while I'm still working and/or traveling. My new goal!

I can't figure out how you could accumulate 3.8 million miles and not have accumulated enough MQM's to be lifetime Gold unless they put a lot on their AMEX.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I can't figure out how you could accumulate 3.8 million miles and not have accumulated enough MQM's to be lifetime Gold unless they put a lot on their AMEX.
Amex MQMs count toward lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.