FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Meal Service and Delays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1952403-delta-meal-service-delays.html)

MSPJIN Jan 22, 19 12:55 pm

Delta Meal Service and Delays

Our flight tonight to MCO that was originally scheduled to take off in the dinner service window is looking like itís going to get delayed to after the 8 pm cutoff. Will they still serve a meal is first since that was the original departure time? Or will they base it on the new (delayed) takeoff time?

Iím not so concerned for myself, as I was hoping to use the appeal of soggy chicken nuggets as a time sucker for my 3 year old and donít want to be stuck with a hungry, bored toddler.

Thanks!

pvn Jan 22, 19 1:07 pm

meal service is based on scheduled departure, not actual departure

MCO Flyer Jan 22, 19 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPJIN (Post 30687123)
Our flight tonight to MCO that was originally scheduled to take off in the dinner service window is looking like itís going to get delayed to after the 8 pm cutoff. Will they still serve a meal is first since that was the original departure time? Or will they base it on the new (delayed) takeoff time?

Iím not so concerned for myself, as I was hoping to use the appeal of soggy chicken nuggets as a time sucker for my 3 year old and donít want to be stuck with a hungry, bored toddler.

Thanks!

Meals are based on originally scheduled departure time so if your flight was scheduled during the dinner window, you will receive dinner no matter what time the flight eventually departs.

defrosted Jan 22, 19 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 30687183)

Meals are based on originally scheduled departure time so if your flight was scheduled during the dinner window, you will receive dinner no matter what time the flight eventually departs.

So, out of curiosity, with that being said, if scheduled to leave at 6pm, but does not actually leave until 10pm, would you physically get the same food, that has now sat 4 hours longer as well?

MSPeconomist Jan 22, 19 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 30687183)

This assumes that the FAs haven't made a mistake and served your flight's meals on the outbound segment. This happens more that it should.

mot29 Jan 22, 19 4:09 pm

Many many years ago, flying National Miami-London. Plane took off from Miami twice and returned both times because of mechanicals. Ended up being put up overnight and flew the next morning. But departing at 8 am, dinner was served, then before landing late afternoon in London, breakfast was served.
FAs explained that was how the meals were loaded. They couldn’t get to the breakfasts until dinners had been served.

Often1 Jan 22, 19 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted (Post 30687602)
So, out of curiosity, with that being said, if scheduled to leave at 6pm, but does not actually leave until 10pm, would you physically get the same food, that has now sat 4 hours longer as well?

There is a delay limit for any type of catering. Whether it is 3, 4, or 5 hours depends on the catering arrangements. Bear in mind that if this is typical domestic narrow-body, the meals are not cooked onboard, they are merely heated up. At some point they get tossed and, depending on where you are, the aircraft may not be recatered.