Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LSTN Headphones Delta 1 intl flight ques.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I had been flying AA (EXP) but am switching to DL. I flew in D1 rt JFK-ZRH-JFK, the LSTN headphones were nice, but I was perplexed as to why they didn't collect these at the end. AA issues Bose hps (on some flts.) but makes a big fuss about collecting these and verifying the count. Are the LSTNs complimentary (=free to keep)?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
No

I believe they don't collect them b/c they are not usable outside the aircraft due to the 2 prong connector. Also, they aren't worth taking. Aren't the Bose headphones on AA better?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
They're somehow worse than the old ones. Bring your own if you can.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
I had been flying AA (EXP) but am switching to DL. I flew in D1 rt JFK-ZRH-JFK, the LSTN headphones were nice, but I was perplexed as to why they didn't collect these at the end. AA issues Bose hps (on some flts.) but makes a big fuss about collecting these and verifying the count. Are the LSTNs complimentary (=free to keep)?
They're not free to keep. I find the LSTN headphones to be significantly lower quality than the QC headphones AA offers and imagine this is one of the reasons Delta is less concerned with loss prevention.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I used to hate the old system of collecting headphones aggressively, sometimes starting almost an hour before landing. One of the advantages of the new DL D1 suites with the fixed screens is that you can continue watching a movie even as the flight is landing.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
The Bose are definitely better, I don't like the fit or sound of the LSTNs, but I don't use either. I don't like headbands over my head, so I carry Shure SE sound isolating earbuds.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
As others have said, the LSTN headphones have airline-specific connectors on the end of the cords, which likely makes them less concerned about people keeping them at the end of the flight. Delta does send F/As around with a bag to collect them on most flights before landing, but they’re fairly relaxed about letting you use them gate to gate if you’re in the middle of a movie.

Not that you'd want to keep them, anyway. The quality on these is somewhere between “atrocious” and “appalling”; I have no idea what LSTN thought they were accomplishing by slapping their brand on generic imported disposable headphones for Delta, but it clearly wasn’t a goal of selling me headphones. And if they actually *were* engineered by LSTN... yikes.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AA policy is complained about frequently . Nobody likes it, and AA is by itself in doing so.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
No, of course they aren't free to keep. It's just not customer-friendly to treat passengers like children and take them back when they could still be using the IFE.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Those LSTN headphones are junk. This is clearly a brand that spend more marketing dollars than on engineering or have some unusually strong relationship with the cabin product manager at Delta. These are not meant to be taken away and they seem to collect them on most of my D1 flights. Even if you paid me, I wouldn't take these - they are not worth the weight and bulk in my bag. These are truly the worst headphone I have ever used in any premium cabin. Heck, my $10 throw-away earbuds from Walmart produce better sound and noise insulation than these LTSN ones.
SuperG1955 likes this.

Last edited by wlau; Sep 22, 2019 at 12:37 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I hate wires so I use a bluetooth Trekz headset with shooting earplugs and a Trond bluetooth Transmitter receiver plugged into the screen Audio port and powered from the screen USB port.

This would work just as well with Bluetooth earbuds.

The airline provided stuff is crap.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by BenA

As others have said, the LSTN headphones have airline-specific connectors on the end of the cords, which likely makes them less concerned about people keeping them at the end of the flight. Delta does send F/As around with a bag to collect them on most flights before landing, but they’re fairly relaxed about letting you use them gate to gate if you’re in the middle of a movie.

Not that you'd want to keep them, anyway. The quality on these is somewhere between “atrocious” and “appalling”; I have no idea what LSTN thought they were accomplishing by slapping their brand on generic imported disposable headphones for Delta, but it clearly wasn’t a goal of selling me headphones. And if they actually *were* engineered by LSTN... yikes.
I believe they are supposed to sound like that. I've come across other LSTN products in giveaways and the like and in my experience they all have pretty terrible sound quality. Which leads me to wonder what Delta thought the game was in setting up a partnership with them, but clearly someone thought it was a good, or perhaps a cheap, idea.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DLX5
No

I believe they don't collect them b/c they are not usable outside the aircraft due to the 2 prong connector. Also, they aren't worth taking. Aren't the Bose headphones on AA better?
Yes the AA Bose are lightyears ahead of the Delta1 cabin ones. That's probably why they collect them on AA. Maybe Delta can buy all of AA's inventory as American switches to Bang & Olufsen
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLX5
No

The Bose headsets on most of my recent flts on AA have an even weirder 3 prong connector, so if this were the only issue AA wouldn't collect them either.
But if someone did keep an LSTN headphone it would be difficult to find the culprit since there is a whole b/c class section with loose hps.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
I've complained to Delta multiple times about those terrible headsets. I even wrote to LSTN. They are horrific. Delta probably wants you to take them. What irritates me is that the FAs no longer have the two prong adaptors onboard. So using your own headset often isn't the great (you have to half insert the 1/8" plug on normal headphones to get both left and right). I just grabbed two from a KLM flight I took...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.