Schedule Change Notifications

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Schedule Change Notifications

I have roughly five itineraries booked over the next few months. For some reason my wife is the only one getting notified of schedule changes for the itineraries she is included on. All flights booked from my SkyMiles account. Confirmed with SM rep that I am listed as primary and they have the correct email address for me on file.

Anyone run into a similar problem? Not sure why all parties are not informed of schedule changes.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by onebobobo
I have roughly five itineraries booked over the next few months. For some reason my wife is the only one getting notified of schedule changes for the itineraries she is included on. All flights booked from my SkyMiles account. Confirmed with SM rep that I am listed as primary and they have the correct email address for me on file.

Anyone run into a similar problem? Not sure why all parties are not informed of schedule changes.
I have the problem of rarely receiving schedule change notification emails at all even when Im the only one on the itinerary, including for changes that would make a major difference on when I show up to the airport or the time I arrive at my destination. Fortunately I know to just check my own itineraries every weekend for changes rather than waiting for emails.
RaflW likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I have the problem of rarely receiving schedule change notification emails at all even when Im the only one on the itinerary, including for changes that would make a major difference on when I show up to the airport or the time I arrive at my destination. Fortunately I know to just check my own itineraries every weekend for changes rather than waiting for emails.
I don't really think the onus should fall on customers to check for schedule changes, especially for the infrequent traveler to be aware of Delta's weekly updates/tweaks. It's my opinion that airlines have a duty to ensure customers are informed and perhaps should go to a read receipt system ("Click here to acknowledge this e-mail"). I had a Celebrity Cruise do that and when I didn't click it (I skimmed the message and didn't notice the link), I received a phone call after a few messages went unreplied.
strickerj and somody like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each individual ticket has contact information associated with it and that is what is used for the notices. This is separate from the email stored in your profile. It's possible your wife's email is stored as the contact for both of your tickets (depending on how you booked them). If you bring up a reservation, go to the "Secure Flight Passenger Data & Contact Information" section. Open this and then click on the "Passenger & Emergency Contact Information (Optional)" for your individual ticket. There are fields there for your email address and contact phone number.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta is responsible for notifying customers when travel is booked directly with Delta. (That includes schedule changes for partner-operated flights.) Travel agents - the human kind, online, Concur, etc. - are responsible for travel booked with them. This is an IATA convention, not unique to Delta.

DL schedule change notifications go out ~30 days before travel. Lots of people - not just ATOBTTR - are in the habit of checking for changes and will recognize them well in advance of 30 days and clear up issues before ever reaching the 30-day mark.

Other than an over-active SPAM filter I have no guesses why the OP's wife is being notified and he isn't.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Each individual ticket has contact information associated with it and that is what is used for the notices. This is separate from the email stored in your profile. It's possible your wife's email is stored as the contact for both of your tickets (depending on how you booked them). If you bring up a reservation, go to the "Secure Flight Passenger Data & Contact Information" section. Open this and then click on the "Passenger & Emergency Contact Information (Optional)" for your individual ticket. There are fields there for your email address and contact phone number.
Thanks for the idea. I checked this and it has my email address for the contact info on both of our tickets.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Though not directly on topic, I really like the new style email notifications that clearly show the change. Always used to be a pain to have to match any change notice up to my previous flight / plans to see if the change matters.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Does notification maybe depend on how much of a time change was made? I have a flight in early March and never received an email or text, but when I logged into my Skymiles account yesterday,, there was a notice on my itinerary. Not sure, but I think the time change was less than 30 minutes.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I have a flight in early March and never received an email or text, but when I logged into my Skymiles account yesterday,, there was a notice on my itinerary. Not sure, but I think the time change was less than 30 minutes.
It doesn't matter . . . .

You're gonna FLY IT . . . . and, you're gonna LIKE IT!!!

Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Does notification maybe depend on how much of a time change was made? I have a flight in early March and never received an email or text, but when I logged into my Skymiles account yesterday,, there was a notice on my itinerary. Not sure, but I think the time change was less than 30 minutes.
Not in my experience. My experience is often the opposite, honestly. The larger the change, the less likely I am to get a notification, it seems like. Change of 2 minutes? I seem to get an email. Change of 7 hours? (as was the case for me about 2.5 years ago when HND-LAX was moved from the midnight to early evening departure) - no email notification.
pgh234, MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:41 pm

I get husbands notifications.

Originally Posted by onebobobo

I get my husbands notifications. At one time, maybe 4-5 years ago, my email address was in his SkyMiles account for some reason. It's been changed and both of SM have our correct email addresses. However, it's weird. Sometimes I get his upgrade email notifications. I always get his "its time to check-in". Sometimes I get his schedule change notices, other times not. I've given up trying to figure it out.
I always get mine. So who knows.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davetravels
It doesn't matter . . . .
You're gonna FLY IT . . . . and, you're gonna LIKE IT!!!
a three-minute change on the domestic leg (DTW-RIC) of the return of our AMS trip (98k J sale) wouldnt normally get me to raise an eyebrow, BUT its a change of operating carrier (GoJet to SkyWest)

while Im pretty sure I could request a change to mainline (DTW-DCA/BWI), which would necessarily imply changing the outbound to leave from the same airport, Im really curious if I could successfully push the envelope and switch to the IAD<>AMS nonstops on KLM
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I book a lot of our flights early, so there are usually quite a few schedule change emails several months before departure. I know that I don't receive all of them, though, because I also check our flights on a very regular basis. My biggest tipoff is when our seats are changed, and then I have to go and figure out why...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767

a three-minute change on the domestic leg (DTW-RIC) of the return of our AMS trip (98k J sale) wouldnt normally get me to raise an eyebrow, BUT its a change of operating carrier (GoJet to SkyWest)

while Im pretty sure I could request a change to mainline (DTW-DCA/BWI), which would necessarily imply changing the outbound to leave from the same airport, Im really curious if I could successfully push the envelope and switch to the IAD<>AMS nonstops on KLM
My experience with DL twitter agents is as long as the pnr has the schedule change waiver code activated, they are willing to change anything. Ive had 7 international sched changes in last 6 months and every time they were able to find better routing or better aircraft.

Just last week, I was able to change upcoming YYZ-AMS flight (DL marketed 9W flight). Booked it originally due to a great fare but wasnt looking forward to such a short 7 hr TATL flight in Business. Once dinner is done, very little time to sleep before bfast. The flight departure time moved later by only 12 mins but I asked Delta (Twitter) if I could reroute to DL metal A332 via ATL (yyz-atl-ams) for a longer sleep (and D1 service). Agent fully understood my logic and got me reissued in under 5 mins.

Keep in mind though...when DL rebooks award tickets on other airline partners (non-DL flight number) due to schedule change, original award fare class must be available on new flight. If they are rebooking to Delta marketed flight number, specific award inventory doesnt apply, there just has to be any available seat in your class of service (including J or Y inventory).

One last data point...wife is flying back from Paris in April. Original booked CDG-DTW-YYZ ON AF flight #s (006 ticket). The only connection in DTW was 55 mins. MCT in Detroit Int-Intl is 60 mins. So the original ticket had an overnight layover in DTW. Ive been watching for sched changes for 2 months. Then yesterday I noticed 2 things: DTW-YYZ evening flight moved 9 mins later, thus crossing the 60 min MCT and becoming a legal connection without need for layover. Also, the YYZ flight on following day changed from an E170 to CRJ900. The green schedule change alert appeared at top of the itinerary on Delta.com. I reached our to twitter and said I know this is just an aircraft type change, but is that enough to move her to the now legal YYZ flight on night before and get rid of the overnight layover? Sure enough, it was and they did it. (Note: oddly DTW mct Intl : Dom is 90 mins while I:I is 60 mins. DL computer told agent conx was illegal as it considered the YYZ flight domestic. I did push back that YYZ was international and I:I in DTW is 60 min. Agent verified that I was correct and said they had to manually reissue tkt to override it. It situations like this it always helps to have lucked out with a competent agent. Ive been consistently impressed with the DL twitter team, 95% of the time they really seem to know their stuff even with other airline space and manual reissues.)

Last edited by Utskicat; Jan 21, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I rarely get schedule change notifications, and while in theory the 30 day thing sounds plausible, I don't think it works that way in the real world. I don't know if DL's IT doesn't know of the problem? I suppose I don't report it, because I've developed the habit of checking my bookings frequently. It seems like the notice send system isn't functioning as planned, anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.