Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A330 NEO Consolidated Discussion Thread

A330 NEO Consolidated Discussion Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stephem
The aisle sure does look narrow! I am surprised to see how poorly this seems to be selling. At least for my date of travel my family and I are the only ones in D one way still.
Delta One usually sells most of the seats within the last few weeks of travel, particular to Asian business destinations like PVG/NRT/ICN...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Heres the press release and some photos of the cabin
"Using customer feedback, the Delta One suites on the A330-900neo have been redesigned to allow for a larger workspace and more stowage"
It's excellent news that Delta is listening to the customer feedback about the storage issues on the current B777 and A350 suites!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:33 am

Looks like DL is flying second 330neo today as DL9961 from ATL to SEA to operate PVG flight later today.

​​​​​Because aircraft sits overnight in PVG it requires 2 planes to operate the route until they add more planes / routes which would enable more efficient overall rotation from SEA. I am actually surprised they did not deploy 330neo to SEA-AMS or other routes where it can operate more efficiently until they get more planes.

It just makes more sense to use new fuel efficient planes on routes with more efficient rotation and leave older planes on routes with more ground time (such as South Ameeica already the case and it will be last to get new planes) but there are plenty of efficient rotations where A330neo would fit well.

Edited to add: why not use 2x330neo for SEA-NRT and SEA-AMS? Those two should rotate fine and it will free up 350 to go where it's eventually supposed to go and 330 from AMS can be used somewhere temporary or maybe it can go to shop and get new seats . Lol.

One reason Delta maybe pushing with PVG maybe their is significant capacity demand, which 767 can not handle.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by AntonS; Jul 11, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AntonS
Looks like DL is flying second 330neo today as DL9961 from ATL to SEA to operate PVG flight later today.

​​​​​Because aircraft sits overnight in PVG it requires 2 planes to operate the route until they add more planes / routes which would enable more efficient overall rotation from SEA. I am actually surprised they did not deploy 330neo to SEA-AMS or other routes where it can operate more efficiently until they get more planes.

It just makes more sense to use new fuel efficient planes on routes with more efficient rotation and leave older planes on routes with more ground time (such as South Ameeica already the case and it will be last to get new planes) but there are plenty of efficient rotations where A330neo would fit well.

Edited to add: why not use 2x330neo for SEA-NRT and SEA-AMS? Those two should rotate fine and it will free up 350 to go where it's eventually supposed to go and 330 from AMS can be used somewhere temporary or maybe it can go to shop and get new seats . Lol.

One reason Delta maybe pushing with PVG maybe their is significant capacity demand, which 767 can not handle.
I think DL is being intentionally conservative with the schedule while they tease out any growing pains with the new aircraft type. Rather than packing in flights to every spare minute, it makes sense to operate them with enough downtime to fix problems that may arise without affecting the customer experience. The long on the ground dwell times may be an asset, not a liability.

Goodness knows every flight Ive had on the 350 has been plagued by MX difficulties, so its probably a smart move.
AntonS likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:23 pm

It's two parts,

One part, SEA-PVG is the route out of SEA that needs the capacity the most. I honestly expected SEA-PVG to end up on the A350 over SEA-NRT.
Part two would be that SEA-PVG and low utilization is a safe choice for operational reasons.
Originally Posted by BenA

I think DL is being intentionally conservative with the schedule while they tease out any growing pains with the new aircraft type. Rather than packing in flights to every spare minute, it makes sense to operate them with enough downtime to fix problems that may arise without affecting the customer experience. The long on the ground dwell times may be an asset, not a liability.

Goodness knows every flight Ive had on the 350 has been plagued by MX difficulties, so its probably a smart move.
exactly what they are doing. SEA-PVG give maintenance plenty of time (in SEA or PVG, both in-house stations) to get touch time on the airplanes and deal with any bugs. The Trent 1000-TEN/Trent 7000 is still not a problem free engine. It ins't as bad as non-TEN Trent 1000s but, IIRC, still has some fairly large issues (ie bearings). I imagine Delta will keep the utilization of the 339 lower till they have more frames.

Subbing from a 339 to 763, about the only easy option in SEA, is a heck of a change and a big product downgrade.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:34 pm

It just makes more sense to use new fuel efficient planes on routes with more efficient rotation and leave older planes on routes with more ground time (such as South America already the case and it will be last to get new planes) but there are plenty of efficient rotations where A330neo would fit well.

Delta only has 4 339's scheduled to arrive in 2019 and Delta has those 4 being used within their schedule from SEA. Next A/C (N403DX) arrives somewhere in late July or August and will be used along with the first 2 to fly SEA-PVG and SEA-ICN round trip legs (SEA-ICN scheduled to begin 2019-Oct-01). The final one this year (N404DX) will arrive late August or September and be used along the prior 3 to do fly SEA-PVG, SEA-ICN, SEA-NRT round trip legs (SEA-NRT schedule to begin 2019-Oct-27) and will be downgraded from the 359 at that time. Any other 339 routings will need more aircraft (that begins to arrive in 2020 {4 more} and after), DL will eventually have 35 of these guys by 2025 - I seam to remember that date for some reason.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I have a pic I took on June 16th in ATL that has the A330NEO in hangar with big letter balloons on it's right wing that say's "1st A330 NEO" but the picture is to blurry to post as we were taxiing like a bat out of hell and it barely caught it.
The tail number would have been N401DZ (Delta's 1st 339 delivered), The 2nd one (N402DX) arrived from TLS into ATL in mid June).
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I saw the new A330neo last night at PVG. I was coming back on the A350 to LAX. Had I known, I would have booked the A330neo to SEA on its maiden flight out of PVG. It was rainy but I took a few pictures. The new winglet looks really nice but the racoon eye didn't look as good on the A330neo as it does on A350.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The 3rd 339 is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n403dx
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:28 pm

Delta is accelerating the A330-900 deliveries and added two additional airframes to the order via a leasing company. They will now get 37 total and 7 deliveries next year instead of 4 and up to ten in 2021.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Delta is accelerating the A330-900 deliveries and added two additional airframes to the order via a leasing company. They will now get 37 total and 7 deliveries next year instead of 4 and up to ten in 2021.
DL definitely seems to like these. I tend to agree
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:15 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
when will sea-pek get the a330neo?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Delta must have more B767-300ER's getting ready for some soon heavy checks that they would prefer not to need to happen, so, by increasing the A339 units arriving in 2020 and 2021 - less 767's will be needed to fly the upcoming routes, or DL is foreseeing new routes spring up to be needed. Up from 4 to 7 in 2020, and up to 10 coming in 2021. I am still wondering if any of these will be used in some TATL routes in 2020 - my guess is yes, but which ones. Any guesses by others out there?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
Delta must have more B767-300ER's getting ready for some soon heavy checks that they would prefer not to need to happen, so, by increasing the A339 units arriving in 2020 and 2021 - less 767's will be needed to fly the upcoming routes
Maybe. But there are all kinds of good reasons for DL to park the 763s in favor of newer planes. To name a few: they are much less fuel efficient than the modern jets in the fleet, their J product is not competitive, etc.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:20 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Maybe. But there are all kinds of good reasons for DL to park the 763s in favor of newer planes. To name a few: they are much less fuel efficient than the modern jets in the fleet, their J product is not competitive, etc.
It all depends on what premium Delta has paid to get the extra A330-900s early. Unless they 763s are due for heavy checks very soon, Delta might keep them around anyway with lower utilization or to add extra capacity during peak times.

Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
I am still wondering if any of these will be used in some TATL routes in 2020 - my guess is yes, but which ones. Any guesses by others out there?
Probably whichever flights fit into rotation schedules with the current flights, whether that is NRT/ICN-other US airports, or SEA-AMS/CDG. TPAC schedules and aircraft might also change a lot when all the Tokyo flights are moved from NRT to HND next year.

Last edited by bpe; Sep 2, 2019 at 7:52 pm Reason: TPAC not TATL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.