Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Value to Sky Priority as an option at MSP (vs. only PreCheck) given gov't shutdown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Value to Sky Priority as an option at MSP (vs. only PreCheck) given gov't shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

A family member will be flying out of MSP on a weekday at rush hour during the next couple weeks and may be a little tight on time. He has PreCheck but isn't Gold+ and doesn't have the Delta Reserve card. Given the government shutdown and potential TSA staffing issues, would it be useful to have Sky Priority as an additional option? If so, this could be arranged by buying an upgrade to business class for a not-cheap-but-not-obscene price. I'd be especially interested to hear observations from those who've flown out of MSP during the shutdown, but non-shutdown insights on MSP Sky Priority / PreCheck arrangements are welcome also. It's been a while since I've flown out of MSP and I've forgotten how the checkpoints/lanes are set up.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A week ago, CLEAR + PreCheck was very valuable and probably saved at least a half hour over SkyPriority + PreCheck.

However, since I have CLEAR, I'm not sure whether there's a separate line for SkyPriority + PreCheck or whether one must decide between the SkyPriority line versus the PreCheck line.

IIRC CLEAR costs $179 per year, but a FO+ should get a discount on the price. This could be a good investment now and might be better than a one time only upgrade to domestic FC just to get access to the SkyPriority security line. How valuable CLEAR is depends on one's travel patterns, but even $179 to avoid missing one flight might be worthwhile. If one is planning to fly through many airports with CLEAR, IMO it's worth considering even though when I first heard the price, my reaction was "no way, but since DL is paying, why not try it?" and I've since become somewhat of a fan.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL
I believe CLEAR is $99 for anyone with a SkyMiles account, $79 for FO/GM/PM (and free for DM). My first origin is usually not MSP but CLEAR is always very fast whenever I’ve used it out of DTW or SFO, and I’d imagine much better than any SkyPriority line.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At MSP, CLEAR takes you to the front of the SkyPriority line if your boarding pass shows SkyPriroity. They can also take people to the front of the PreCheck line if they have PreCheck. Either way, you skip the line.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, since I have CLEAR, I'm not sure whether there's a separate line for SkyPriority + PreCheck or whether one must decide between the SkyPriority line versus the PreCheck line.
There is no combined SkyPriority+PreCheck line; it’s an either/or choice.

At the North Checkpoint there is a First Class/Elite line for all airline elites, including Sky Priority. It includes FO. I haven’t checked recently, but the South Checkpoint SkyPriority line may still be only for GM and above.

At certain times of day the lines at MSP are long, but they always seem to move quickly, especially at the North Checkpoint, where dogs are used.

It is my understanding that MSP has not had a lot of absent TSA agents; they have been coming in despite the shutdown.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I got a trial of CLEAR and I figured why not. I will always pay the renewal fee now as it's saved time and stress. the only thing I would say is a negative is if you don't fly from airports where they have it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I fly out of MSP Weekly and the shutdown hasn’t really had an impact. The lines this morning were long but about 15 min. I have Clear ans PreCheck ans haven’t waited 10 minutes at any time over the past year. I would buy the free trial of Clear and cancel if it didn’t seem to be a value.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Very good info.

According to this article, sounds like wait times were pretty bad this weekend. Guess we'll see what the post-holiday work week brings!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:14 pm

There are news reports today saying that MSP is something like the second worst USA airport for TSA absences and resulting waiting times. Worst is said to be MSY, not ATL, which makes me wonder.....
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Lines were long over the holiday weekend, but even this morning at 7 AM I flew right thru CLEAR. 5 minutes tops. But even the regular lines didn't seem bad (yet)

Added: I did notice the carry-on only checkpoint was closed this AM when I walked by. Main terminal checkpoint only

Last edited by bretthexum; Jan 22, 2019 at 7:32 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Lines were long over the holiday weekend, but even this morning at 7 AM I flew right thru CLEAR. 5 minutes tops. But even the regular lines didn't seem bad (yet)

Added: I did notice the carry-on only checkpoint was closed this AM when I walked by. Main terminal checkpoint only
I was at MSP from 4-8 on Monday of this past holiday weekend and did not see any long lines. It was boringly quiet.

The carry-on only checkpoint on the skybridge between C and G is closed because of the shutdown. Not only is the TSA checkpoint closed but the exit there is also closed, so that you cannot use that exit to get to the light rail or the red and blue parking ramps.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I was at MSP from 4-8 on Monday of this past holiday weekend and did not see any long lines. It was boringly quiet.

The carry-on only checkpoint on the skybridge between C and G is closed because of the shutdown. Not only is the TSA checkpoint closed but the exit there is also closed, so that you cannot use that exit to get to the light rail or the red and blue parking ramps.
That must have just happened. I flew in Friday around noon last week and used the exit to get to red-blue parking.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
I avoid the South checkpoint given the proximity to the Delta check-in desk along with being a Delta hub. There's no advantage at the North check-point to being SP. Clear is definitely the way to go, but pre-check is a close second, IMO.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are news reports today saying that MSP is something like the second worst USA airport for TSA absences and resulting waiting times. Worst is said to be MSY, not ATL, which makes me wonder.....
The TSA agents may actually be sick or hung over after that travesty of a football game.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful tips, all. Hopefully, things will go smoothly now that we're post-shutdown (for now, anyway), but either way, this is all good to know for future travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.