Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Criteria for Opening Sky Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by WWads
Especially now that it has D1-branded flights. I've heard the excuse that they're afraid of people sucking the bar dry, but UA doesn't seem to have that problem.

I think CMH is the most obvious East Coast hole, as is BDL. MCI could do with a club if a new terminal ever gets built.
Also BWI
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Especially now that it has D1-branded flights. I've heard the excuse that they're afraid of people sucking the bar dry, but UA doesn't seem to have that problem.
Delta had a Crown Room at LAS years ago (back when all the liquor was top-shelf, complimentary and poured by DL front office employees). IIRC, recession and post gulf-war security led to its closing along with some others in the system some time during the 90s. Club was pre-security and later became an America West Club.

Today, one has to imagine that opening a new (post-security) club at LAS gets floated internally on Virginia Ave Delta Blvd at least 1-2x year.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm sure this has been discussed, but why does SNA not have a club? AA and UA do. I cant recall the last time i arrived or departed on a Delta flight with an empty seat. As for medallion travel: have been Diamond for 4 years and its my hardest upgrade. just curious.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think you've misunderstood the idea of a lounge. Its primary purpose is a place to relax, eat, drink, do some work. That's why they call it a lounge, not a customer service office.
An airline-specific lounge is a place relax, eat, drink, work, AND have premium access to staff for travel delays. The next time you have a last second schedule change or IRROPS, would you rather stay in your seat and dial customer service with your "1-bar" airport cell signal, or take a few steps over to a well-staffed desk and get rebooked faster than anyone else affected on your flight.

Half of my JWD certificates that I have given to Delta employees have gone to SC staff who helped with a re-booking in a pinch.

If the lounge was just a place to avoid paying $20 for a decent airport snack and drink, I would not pay for a membership.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
An airline-specific lounge is a place relax, eat, drink, work, AND have premium access to staff for travel delays. The next time you have a last second schedule change or IRROPS, would you rather stay in your seat and dial customer service with your "1-bar" airport cell signal, or take a few steps over to a well-staffed desk and get rebooked faster than anyone else affected on your flight.

Half of my JWD certificates that I have given to Delta employees have gone to SC staff who helped with a re-booking in a pinch.

If the lounge was just a place to avoid paying $20 for a decent airport snack and drink, I would not pay for a membership.
Yes, obviously. You should look up the word primary. My argument is that if the primary purpose of the room was rebooking, then it would be dramatically smaller, it wouldn't likely have alcohol, and it wouldn't be called a lounge. It would be called a customer service office. Simple as that.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Yes, obviously. You should look up the word primary. My argument is that if the primary purpose of the room was rebooking, then it would be dramatically smaller, it wouldn't likely have alcohol, and it wouldn't be called a lounge. It would be called a customer service office. Simple as that.
I would say the primary purpose of the club is to serve the needs of their premium frequent fliers in the post-security check environment minutes to hours before flight.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Also BWI
BWI is close, but it probably needs an LAX or SEA flight first.

Part of of the problem with BWI is that WN keeps the yields down.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I'm sure this has been discussed, but why does SNA not have a club? AA and UA do. I cant recall the last time i arrived or departed on a Delta flight with an empty seat. As for medallion travel: have been Diamond for 4 years and its my hardest upgrade. just curious.
Space constraints, historical market share at SNA compared to UA and AA (DL didn't even fly ATL-SNA nonstop until mid-90s or later), and DL historically had no intra-west flights ex-SNA like UA and AA (formerly), which comprises a large portion of SNA traffic.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
LAS, historically, didn’t need a club for a while because there was a Continental club that DL members had access to. I used it for several Vegas trips back in the day, right up until the UA merger happened and there was a period where they would still let folks in to try to sell them on switching airlines.

Shortly after that closed to DL patrons, AMEX opened the Centurion Lounge, and the issue became much less urgent to solve.

These days, anyone paying for lounge access is probably doing so via amex, and there’s little incentive to build a lounge just for those with complimentary access via their status. Honestly, I think VS would be more likely to invest in a LAS lounge before DL would bother...
tvnwz likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
How busy does a station need to be before qualifying for a SC? I am specifically wondering about RSW... about 20 flights daily almost all mainline to ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK, LGA and BOS.
and....CVG
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I think PIT would be a good candidate for a club. Has Delta confirmed that they are opening a club at CLT?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
How busy does a station need to be before qualifying for a SC? I am specifically wondering about RSW... about 20 flights daily almost all mainline to ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK, LGA and BOS.
HVCs and corporate contracts in the market and then the biggest issue is space/cost.

I would imagine places like SJC, CMH, IAH, PIT, LAS and a few others get a SC before RSW.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1
and....CVG
I was just at CVG and they have started the SkyClub renovations. I presume from the investments, flight volumes and staffing at CVG, Delta makes solid money there. It probably isn’t a total passenger volume but a per passenger revenue metric that drives the continued tight relationship between Delta and metro Cincinnati.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FF524

I was just at CVG and they have started the SkyClub renovations. I presume from the investments, flight volumes and staffing at CVG, Delta makes solid money there. It probably isn’t a total passenger volume but a per passenger revenue metric that drives the continued tight relationship between Delta and metro Cincinnati.
He meant that RSW also has a flight to CVG.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
... as is BDL. MCI could do with a club if a new terminal ever gets built.
Originally Posted by Cory6188
With BDL as my home airport, I appreciate the enthusiasm for a SkyClub (and would selfishly certainly welcome one!). Sadly, I think we're just too small. High-income area for sure, but we're pretty low on population relative to other cities with an SC. Even on a good day, we get 6-7x ATL, 3-4x DTW, and 2-3x MSP, with 1x daily to RDU/CLE/CVG. I just don't see the math being in DL's favor, even with our relatively high fares/yield. If nothing else, relative to the size of the station, I'll take the fact that we have pretty solid DL mainline above-wing staff and call it a day.
Trying to think where in BDL there would even be space for a club. Nothing comes to mind even if the other criteria worked out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.