Wiki Posts
Search

Criteria for Opening Sky Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Criteria for Opening Sky Club

How busy does a station need to be before qualifying for a SC? I am specifically wondering about RSW... about 20 flights daily almost all mainline to ATL, DTW, MSP, JFK, LGA and BOS.

Last edited by RobertS975; Jan 20, 2019 at 5:30 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:19 pm

I believe that there would be many more factors than just flights that would go into such a decision - space availability and cost probably high on the list. Other factors, such as # of international flights, business/leisure split, medallion density, etc would also play a part.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
i'm sure the criteria is more than just flight volume, but if that's it I would think RSW is not near the top of the list. Other airports have more daily flights and still do not have a sky club (LAS averages almost 50 flights per day, for example).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The number of passenger boardings is, of course, critical. But, that is just a beginning. Bottom line is that I would find it remarkable if DL opened a SC at RSW anytime in the forseeable future.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:36 pm

CMH not only needs a Skyclub it also needs an AMS flight!!!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:41 pm

CMH needs a lot of things
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Outside the U.S., you'll often see that airports in small and medium sized cities have a lounge that in many cases serves elite passengers or lounge members from all airlines, even from competitive global alliances. One example I know well is at Kiev Boryspil Airport in Ukraine, where I've had access to the same lounge as a business class customer with both Star Alliance and SkyTeam, and also as a SkyClub member. I suspect that like most partner lounges, they collect a per-visit fee from the relevant airline.

I wonder if this could be a model within the U.S. Would be great if small out-stations where no airline could possibly run its own lounge could instead have a shared lounge.

Last edited by andrewk829; Jan 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by firstmob
CMH not only needs a Skyclub it also needs an AMS flight!!!
The space above the Buckeye Cafe (or whatever it is now) would look good as a SkyClub...
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
Outside the U.S., you'll often see that airports in small and medium sized cities have a lounge that in many cases serves elite passengers or lounge members from all airlines, even from competitive global alliances. One example I know well is at Kiev Boryspil Airport in Ukraine, where I've had access to the same lounge as a business class customer with both Star Alliance and SkyTeam, and also as a SkyClub member. I suspect that like most partner lounges, they collect a per-visit fee from the relevant airline.

I wonder if this could be a model within the U.S. Would be great if small out-stations where no airline could possibly run its own lounge could instead have a shared lounge.
It seems that US airlines are taking more of a view that the lounge is a competitive differentiator and draw to their airline (at least domestically). Evidenced by Delta and AA now requiring ticketed travel on their own airline in order to access the lounge. A shared lounge in a smaller outstation wouldn't make Delta more desirable than a competitor if all airlines are allowing access to the same lounge.

On the other hand there are many partner lounges abroad because lounge access is considered a more basic requirement against the international competition. Then the contract lounges start to make sense... allowing the need to be met without the airline having to lease and maintain a lounge of their own.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by andrewk829
That model isn't unknown in the U.S. For example, MHT has the Granite Club -- and certainly doesn't/wouldn't have a lounge by AA/DL/UA.

Frankly, I don't see the point. Airlines don't have staff there to help with rebooking. It's just a way to give away inferior alcohol. U.S. airports have no shortage of places to buy a drink.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Frankly, I don't see the point. Airlines don't have staff there to help with rebooking.
I think you've misunderstood the idea of a lounge. Its primary purpose is a place to relax, eat, drink, do some work. That's why they call it a lounge, not a customer service office.

SJC also has a non-denominational club called The Club. Most of the airlines that fly internationally hand out free entry vouchers at check-in to their business class passengers
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Often1
The number of passenger boardings is, of course, critical. But, that is just a beginning. Bottom line is that I would find it remarkable if DL opened a SC at RSW anytime in the forseeable future.
General level of business travel, % of seats purchased at higher fare buckets and/or by medallion FFs seem like probable factors. Outside of long-existing club locations in Florida and HNL, I'm hard pressed to think of a leisure-oriented station that DL (or any airline) would consider opening a new club. AA's relatively recent add at MCO is an interesting anomoly and likely reflects Orlando's growth as a convention/business market rather than an attempt by AA to please vacationing Admirals Club members.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I am still surprised Vegas doesn't have a Sky Club.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bretthexum
I am still surprised Vegas doesn't have a Sky Club.
Especially now that it has D1-branded flights. I've heard the excuse that they're afraid of people sucking the bar dry, but UA doesn't seem to have that problem.

I think CMH is the most obvious East Coast hole, as is BDL. MCI could do with a club if a new terminal ever gets built.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
Especially now that it has D1-branded flights. I've heard the excuse that they're afraid of people sucking the bar dry, but UA doesn't seem to have that problem.

I think CMH is the most obvious East Coast hole, as is BDL. MCI could do with a club if a new terminal ever gets built.
With BDL as my home airport, I appreciate the enthusiasm for a SkyClub (and would selfishly certainly welcome one!). Sadly, I think we're just too small. High-income area for sure, but we're pretty low on population relative to other cities with an SC. Even on a good day, we get 6-7x ATL, 3-4x DTW, and 2-3x MSP, with 1x daily to RDU/CLE/CVG. I just don't see the math being in DL's favor, even with our relatively high fares/yield. If nothing else, relative to the size of the station, I'll take the fact that we have pretty solid DL mainline above-wing staff and call it a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.