Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta benefits when flying with KLM?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:04 pm

I often fly to AMS on DL and then take a short KLM flight to my final destination. In 12+ flights as both Platinum and Gold I have never been upgraded. It is a little frustrating when First has lots of empty seats.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
FWIW - I have asked the FA’s on both AF and KL to see what is on the the IPads that they are looking at...

The seat chart that they are looking at clearly shows - as a DL MM DM - ‘FB PLT’ or something does show up...they always seem to be confused why I am not a FB member and DL SM member (so am I sometimes) - but the fact that I am spending some money whether on 006, 057 or 074 ticket stock seems to be known...

I have gotten ‘thank you’ bags with bottles of champagne and hand written notes in them from both AF and KL towards the end of flights...never on DL.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by mnic
I often fly to AMS on DL and then take a short KLM flight to my final destination. In 12+ flights as both Platinum and Gold I have never been upgraded. It is a little frustrating when First has lots of empty seats.
From my multiple flight on AF/KLM, I believe the upgrade priority is: (this is from MY observation and see the list of passenger on the FA tablet)
1- FB Platinum for life
2-SM Diamond / FB Platinum
3- SM Platinum / FB Gold
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Just flew KLM from AMS-VLC as Silver Elite. Initially was able to select seats on DL web site after purchasing on JustFly.com. Then seats disappeared after UG to D1 on JFK-AMS. Went to DL site again and seat map showed some empty seats, but couldn't select seats (selected them, but errored out during confirmation process). Then all of a sudden about a week out, we were able to select our seats. Ended up getting two seats right behind euro-biz for an extra $10. All done via DL web site. Didn't try the KL web site, only DL.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
From my multiple flight on AF/KLM, I believe the upgrade priority is: (this is from MY observation and see the list of passenger on the FA tablet)
1- FB Platinum for life
2-SM Diamond / FB Platinum
3- SM Platinum / FB Gold
There is no upgrades on KLM. This is uniquely a Delta thing.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CoMooter
FWIW - I have asked the FA’s on both AF and KL to see what is on the the IPads that they are looking at...

The seat chart that they are looking at clearly shows - as a DL MM DM - ‘FB PLT’ or something does show up...they always seem to be confused why I am not a FB member and DL SM member (so am I sometimes) - but the fact that I am spending some money whether on 006, 057 or 074 ticket stock seems to be known...

I have gotten ‘thank you’ bags with bottles of champagne and hand written notes in them from both AF and KL towards the end of flights...never on DL.
It should show DL Diam. At least in last year it always has shown that next to my name. In fact pursed has even thanked me for being a DL Diam on KLM.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
KLM charges for advanced seat assignments for all seats, not just extra leg room seats. However, this fee is waived for all Sky Team Elite (and +) members, who are able to select a standard seat for no charge. Sky Team Elite+ members (for Delta thats GM/PM/DM but not SM) are able to reserve Economy Comfort seats at a discounted price.
I am flying EDI-AMS-IAD on KL in April. I was able to book a seat in KL's version of C+ for free; we'll see if this holds up.

Back in December, 2014, on a BUD-AMS-ATL-DCA itinerary, when I got to AMS and went into "Crown Lounge 25", I used a kiosk to reconfirm my seat which was booked in row 12 (E+). The kiosk gave me an offer to upgrade to J for €289 (about $350 at the prevailing exchange rate). I grabbed it. While the seats were the "old fashioned" 160 degree recline cradle seats, the flight turned out to be terrific and worth the money. I'll be checking to see whether they still make such offers on the upcoming trip.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I got "upgraded" for free on a KL flight BHX-AMS one time after boarding by the gate agent, from a middle seat in Y to an exit row seat in an otherwise empty row of 3. This was a 35 minute flight.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by ND76
I am flying EDI-AMS-IAD on KL in April. I was able to book a seat in KL's version of C+ for free; we'll see if this holds up.
Was able to do the same for my wife (non-elite) and myself this Jan on RSW-AMS-VIE, was able to book KLM C+ seats for AMS-VIE on Delta site and held up just fine.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
KLM is the ONLY airline I use frequently that has never given me a free upgrade (50+ long haul flights as platinum and counting). Air France (twice), Delta (three times), even lowly Kenya Airways (once) have surprised me with the J upgrade at the gate on trans continental flights over the years.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dutch101
Was able to do the same for my wife (non-elite) and myself this Jan on RSW-AMS-VIE, was able to book KLM C+ seats for AMS-VIE on Delta site and held up just fine.
Hmmm gave it a try but DL isn't recognizing the PNR. Assume in both your cases it worked because there was a DL leg on the flight, in my case it's purely KLM for just EZE - SCL so no reason for DL to have a PNR
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There is no upgrades on KLM. This is uniquely a Delta thing.
I mean about oversold flight, this is what I have observe from all upgrade I have receive myself.

But, I agree with you, KLM & AF do not do upgrade without this reason (or a good one), Delta have a good advantage on domestic flight.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by Duke787
Hmmm gave it a try but DL isn't recognizing the PNR. Assume in both your cases it worked because there was a DL leg on the flight, in my case it's purely KLM for just EZE - SCL so no reason for DL to have a PNR
Correct, TATL was on DL.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
KLM seating benefit for companion on same PNR

Hi all,

Cant find this anywhere - but if you and a companion are on the same PNR (I have Diamond status), will companion also be eligible for a complimentary KLM comfort seat?

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Unless something changed, the answer is, unfortunately, no. If your companion has status, their seats will be free or discounted. However, if your companion lacks status, you'll have to pay for his/her seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.