Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
SLC as a hub for South American flights? SLC-GUM? Nothing is impossible, but those come very, very close.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by pbarnette
SLC as a hub for South American flights? SLC-GUM? Nothing is impossible, but those come very, very close.
GUM isn’t in South America... And wouldn’t LAX be a better hub for South America? LAX seems like it’d naturally have more O/D traffic than SLC. Even then, DL has tried LAX-GRU and it didn’t work out.

Personally, I’d take what DL management says about their future plans and interest with a grain of salt. They’ve had a history of saying they’re committed to something just to either not do it or retreat. (India, CVG, MEM, and etc)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ab2013
GUM isn’t in South America.
Nobody was claiming it was. They were two separate hypotheticals that were floated, and he's saying he considers them equally unlikely.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
thats pretty unlikely. the 339 wont have that much of a range bump over the 332.

A 251t 339 might be able to do it over a Delta 332 but I don't believe the first 10 or so 339s for Delta (at least) will be 251t. They will come as 242t frames.

Do you ever look anything up before posting? serious question.
Delta's 339s will have 12 less seats than the current Delta 333 (281 v 306)
More importantly, yes the 330N vs 330C is pretty much engines and aero upgrades. The fuselage length and width are staying the same size.

The reason Delta would add something like SLC-ICN is to free up more seats in SEA and/or LAX for local pax.
Very true, especially for SEA which is so capacity constrained at the moment. Despite what rwya thinks, there is a ton of demand for travel to ICN and beyond or else skyteam service wouldn't be 2 A380s (LAX), 747 (SFO), 2 777s (SEA,YVR) and a 767 (SEA) traveling west coast to ICN and back on an almost daily basis, plus various flights from MSP, DTW, JFK, ATL and a few other large US cities.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ab2013

GUM isn’t in South America... And wouldn’t LAX be a better hub for South America? LAX seems like it’d naturally have more O/D traffic than SLC. Even then, DL has tried LAX-GRU and it didn’t work out.

Personally, I’d take what DL management says about their future plans and interest with a grain of salt. They’ve had a history of saying they’re committed to something just to either not do it or retreat. (India, CVG, MEM, and etc)
As Zorak noted, I never suggested GUM is in South America. I just think the premise - that a few thousand Mormons warrant such a long flight - is beyond dubious.

As for South American hubs... ATL is, geographically, about as well positioned as any domestic hub (I think folks tend to think South America is much further west than it is). SLC is a smaller market and with markedly less feed than ATL. Without any geographical advantage (and, in fact, a disadvantage for the majority of the country), what would be the point? I just don’t see small Mountain West towns driving enough traffic to warrant any significant service.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Situation
Very true, especially for SEA which is so capacity constrained at the moment. Despite what rwya thinks, there is a ton of demand for travel to ICN and beyond or else skyteam service wouldn't be 2 A380s (LAX), 747 (SFO), 2 777s (SEA,YVR) and a 767 (SEA) traveling west coast to ICN and back on an almost daily basis, plus various flights from MSP, DTW, JFK, ATL and a few other large US cities.
DL could easily use their newer aircraft to upguage ex-SEA and avoid any capacity constraints, if there is such a need.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pbarnette
As for South American hubs... ATL is, geographically, about as well positioned as any domestic hub (I think folks tend to think South America is much further west than it is).
Yep, it's a fun/surprising bit of geographical trivia that most of Florida is longitudinally west of South America (not including the Galapagos)
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
Yep, it's a fun/surprising bit of geographical trivia that most of Florida is longitudinally west of South America (not including the Galapagos)
Exactly.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:39 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I disagree. I was flying out of Washington–Dulles because I had access to the Air France–KLM lounge, which is marginally better than the Sky Club at Washington–Reagan National and certainly better than Baltimore, which lacks a Sky Club. When I fly through Atlanta I almost always go to the Sky Club in the F Terminal because the food is much better than the Sky Club in the B Terminal.
lol wut

I mean, if you're already out in Reston or something, sure. If you're DC proper? You'd have to be nuts (ceteris paribus) to haul out to IAD instead of DCA for a marginally better lounge.
ND76 and Dawgfan6291 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
It would be great for DEN travelers as well for an easy connection to Asia and want to avoid United as Delta provides much better service! It is great to see Delta's commitment to SLC continue as it is a great connecting point and has much less issues for travelers than DEN, SFO, SEA or even LAX in relation to weather and delays.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Zorak
Also, Maine is the closest state to Africa.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The only way SLC gets a non-stop to GUM or South America is if the mormon church subsidizes 100% of the cost of the flight.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The only way SLC gets a non-stop to GUM or South America is if the mormon church subsidizes 100% of the cost of the flight.
Speaking of which, are imported booze purchases still pilfered by the authorities for international SLC arrivals?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Recapping this thread:

Asia -- doesn't make sense due to LAX and SEA (and why start a long/thin route out of SLC)
Europe -- doesn't make sense due to DTW, ATL, JFK (already have the CDG/AMS covered and DL provides one-stop via east coast hubs to other Europe cities)
South America -- doesn't make sense due to LAX and ATL (plus limited traffic)

So what exactly does Ed intend to do with this hypothetical SLC hub?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Duke787
Recapping this thread:

Asia -- doesn't make sense due to LAX and SEA (and why start a long/thin route out of SLC)
Europe -- doesn't make sense due to DTW, ATL, JFK (already have the CDG/AMS covered and DL provides one-stop via east coast hubs to other Europe cities)
South America -- doesn't make sense due to LAX and ATL (plus limited traffic)

So what exactly does Ed intend to do with this hypothetical SLC hub?
Fly to Asia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.