Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

They don't even run the A330 on SLC-AMS. Heck they can't even run AMS year round. If Delta's largest partner hub can't take that much capacity from SLC then ICN certainly can't. There was a good thread about SLC's international demand posted about a year ago. You should read it. The demand for Asia just isn't there. You need a healthy amount of local traffic for such a flight to work. Delta only operated NRT because of a subsidy and even that wasn't enough to keep them around. MSP didn't even have an ICN flight until just recently and they are the wealthiest of Delta's fortress hubs. You really should educate yourself on this matter.
AMS operates year-round, as does CDG. Perhaps you are thinking of LHR.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What cities - with decent numbers of travelers to Asia - have DL service to SLC but not SEA or LAX? Double connects xxx-SLC-ICN-xxx will yield junk avg fares: UA's xxx-SFO-xxx will get the premium traffic from shorter travel times. DL is going to need some decent volume of traffic SLC-ICN or SLC-xxx to make this viable.
I think you are missing the point. Dl or KL will still have the west coast non-stops. But there are a lot of people having to connect ont he west coast for TPac or visa versa. From Denver to Sacramento, this will appeal.
Besides, while we sit here guessing, DL knows exactly how many people now are slogging to the west coast to make a connection.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
The A330neo name is a bit deceiving. It's not just a simple engine upgrade and aero tweaks like the A320neo. The airframe is bigger and holds considerably more passengers.
Well that isn't really true.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22
I think you are missing the point. Dl or KL will still have the west coast non-stops. But there are a lot of people having to connect ont he west coast for TPac or visa versa. From Denver to Sacramento, this will appeal.
Besides, while we sit here guessing, DL knows exactly how many people now are slogging to the west coast to make a connection.
I would think his point is that Denver and Sacramento, for example, already have service to both LAX and SEA, so it isn't clear SLC wouldn't just steal connecting traffic from those hubs. I think it is a valid question to ask what cities would be served via SLC that aren't via LAX or SEA and what kind of volume they might bring.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm not sure about that. The SLC SC is pretty bleak. I'd rather have a layover in SEA at least outbound (inbound international is a different story) but then again coming from RDU I'd go via ATL / DTW / MSP for a TPAC before going through LAX / SLC / SEA (exception SYD obviously)
I don't think the sky club is a criteria most people use when evaluating the ease of a connection. I personally like coming into SLC from international because it's not as hectic as other airports.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I don't think the sky club is a criteria most people use when evaluating the ease of a connection. I personally like coming into SLC from international because it's not as hectic as other airports.
Would be interesting to poll this
sdadept likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff767

The A330-900 will solve that issue.
thats pretty unlikely. the 339 wont have that much of a range bump over the 332.

A 251t 339 might be able to do it over a Delta 332 but I don't believe the first 10 or so 339s for Delta (at least) will be 251t. They will come as 242t frames.

Again, let's see the performance charts. But I'll play along and say that it won't have any issues. The A330neo name is a bit deceiving. It's not just a simple engine upgrade and aero tweaks like the A320neo. The airframe is bigger and holds considerably more passengers. 320+ passengers is way too much for such a thin market. The A330-900 is better suited for something like LAX-ICN or DTW-AMS. It's an airplane for hub-hub operations.
Do you ever look anything up before posting? serious question.
Delta's 339s will have 12 less seats than the current Delta 333 (281 v 306)
More importantly, yes the 330N vs 330C is pretty much engines and aero upgrades. The fuselage length and width are staying the same size.
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would think his point is that Denver and Sacramento, for example, already have service to both LAX and SEA, so it isn't clear SLC wouldn't just steal connecting traffic from those hubs. I think it is a valid question to ask what cities would be served via SLC that aren't via LAX or SEA and what kind of volume they might bring.
The reason Delta would add something like SLC-ICN is to free up more seats in SEA and/or LAX for local pax.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Would be interesting to poll this
Agreed. I’d love to use SLC whenever possible but the SkyClub is the deal breaker. If ATL’s B club have any lessons to teach it’s that bigger is not necessarily better. So what if they make the club three times the size? The bathrooms won’t be any bigger.

They should definitely build a new club but let the current club remain.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by tvtd
They should definitely build a new club but let the current club remain.
That won't be possible. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west...oncourses.html All existing structures will be demolished.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If Delta wanted to do so, it could easily fly from Salt Lake City to Guam or American Samoa two or three times per week. The Mormon community in Micronesia and the South Pacific is huge.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If Delta wanted to do so, it could easily fly from Salt Lake City to Guam or American Samoa two or three times per week. The Mormon community in Micronesia and the South Pacific is huge.
It could be an interesting play for SA too now that I think about it.

ATL carries most of the SA traffic but SLC could be feasible as the west coast hub to SA outside of 1-2 LAX flights for O&D.

GIG / GRU / EZE are all ~6200 so easily within range of the fleet.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
It could be an interesting play for SA too now that I think about it.

ATL carries most of the SA traffic but SLC could be feasible as the west coast hub to SA outside of 1-2 LAX flights for O&D.

GIG / GRU / EZE are all ~6200 so easily within range of the fleet.
I don't think this is likely. With the JV in place, MEX will be the main South American hub with ATL and LAX continue to have a few nonstops
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I disagree. I was flying out of Washington–Dulles because I had access to the Air France–KLM lounge, which is marginally better than the Sky Club at Washington–Reagan National and certainly better than Baltimore, which lacks a Sky Club. When I fly through Atlanta I almost always go to the Sky Club in the F Terminal because the food is much better than the Sky Club in the B Terminal.
ND76 and sdadept like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I disagree. I was flying out of Washington–Dulles because I had access to the Air France–KLM lounge, which is marginally better than the Sky Club at Washington–Reagan National and certainly better than Baltimore, which lacks a Sky Club. When I fly through Atlanta I almost always go to the Sky Club in the F Terminal because the food is much better than the Sky Club in the B Terminal.
He said "most people" and I'm not sure how representative you are

Also he was replying to a post about selecting *connections* based on Sky Clubs, whereas your examples are (1) choice of originating airport (2) choice between SCs at the *same* airport, so not dispositive.

But ignoring that and looking just at example 1, when I go to WAS my destination is usually Towson. If the fare is even vaguely the same there is zero chance I am choosing IAD over BWI simply because IAD has a nicer lounge option. (I have certainly flown into or out of IAD or DCA but either because there was an enormous fare difference or I had some reason to be in the DC area before or after heading north)
sky303 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
But ignoring that and looking just at example 1, when I go to WAS my destination is usually Towson. If the fare is even vaguely the same there is zero chance I am choosing IAD over BWI simply because IAD has a nicer lounge option. (I have certainly flown into or out of IAD or DCA but either because there was an enormous fare difference or I had some reason to be in the DC area before or after heading north)
And upgrades to and from Dulles are generally easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.