Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm not sure about that. The SLC SC is pretty bleak. I'd rather have a layover in SEA at least outbound (inbound international is a different story) but then again coming from RDU I'd go via ATL / DTW / MSP for a TPAC before going through LAX / SLC / SEA (exception SYD obviously)
That SLC SC will be replaced next year with a brand new one. Hopefully, it's on the level of SFO and SEA as opposed to the B lounge in ATL.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I can't see it happening any time soon. The A332 struggled on even SLC-NRT and had to have have cargo and seats blocked. If it happens it will be with a Korean Air 787.
IIRC, there are plans to make one of the runways 15,000'. So, that will take care of that issue with the A332.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:59 am

International O&D traffic from SLC is about 27% to Europe, 20% to Asia. O&D to the top 5 Asia markets from SLC is about 114 PDEW, with Tokyo being the largest. Not giant by any means, but larger than people would expect. There certainly isn’t an imminent announcement, but I could see an announcement in 2021 (after the new terminal is open) for a 2022 launch. The local community would most certainly subsidize the route - they put up close to a million to launch CDG, and $1 million when NRT was launched. It wouldn’t surprise me if they doubled that to get ICN.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
IIRC, there are plans to make one of the runways 15,000'. So, that will take care of that issue with the A332.
Did you calculate the performance charts? Do you realize what SLC's altitude does to a dog of an aircraft like the A332? The only way SLC-ICN works is on a 350, 777, or KE 787
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
residing in SLC, i for one would welcome hearing about more EU direct routes. Rome?
sdadept, Air Houston and altabello like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I'm not sure about that. The SLC SC is pretty bleak. I'd rather have a layover in SEA at least outbound (inbound international is a different story) but then again coming from RDU I'd go via ATL / DTW / MSP for a TPAC before going through LAX / SLC / SEA (exception SYD obviously)
As I noted in my earlier post, the new SLC Skyclub will be three times the size of the existing one. And it is my understanding that it will have windows with a view.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by amanuensis
As I noted in my earlier post, the new SLC Skyclub will be three times the size of the existing one. And it is my understanding that it will have windows with a view.
I'm curious what the plan will be for the north concourse - it was added after the construction began for the south after they realized it was better to remove the remaining concourses now than later. Has anyone heard if there will be a separate skyclub on the north concourse or just all in the south?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
The plan is for a single, "flagship" club in the South concourse. My guess is that South Concourse will be Skyteam exclusive and other airlines (plus some DL flights) will use the North.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by discoseal
I'm not so sure about this move. I think it's worth noting that neither OZ or UA have made a DEN/ICN connection yet despite their partnership.
True, although the UA/OZ tieup falls short of a joint venture. United does have a JV with ANA, which is fed by a DEN-NRT route and would be the closer analogy here.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
True, although the UA/OZ tieup falls short of a joint venture. United does have a JV with ANA, which is fed by a DEN-NRT route and would be the closer analogy here.
True. Also, United fliest to a LOT more Asia destinations than DL. DL very much relies on funneling passengers thru ICN. All the more reason an ICN flight makes more sense.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I hate to agree with the poster below but do you have any data that supports that? They can put 30,000 feet of run way out there and that doesn't automatically mean a certain aircraft will have better take off performance. At some point you will hit a tire speed limit at the very least. SLC will have that plus hot/high and mountains/engine out issues to deal with.

Did you calculate the performance charts? Do you realize what SLC's altitude does to a dog of an aircraft like the A332? The only way SLC-ICN works is on a 350, 777, or KE 787
as per usual you don't know what you are talking about. The 332 is far from a dog, even the under powered/under MTOWed 332s Delta has. Certainly no more of a "dog" than a 767. While it struggled at one route, it does plenty other routes just fine.

converting a few 339s (say 10 or so) into 338s could be interesting for Delta. Could be the right aircraft for something like SLC-ICN and returning to Hong Kong.
Originally Posted by kjnangre
True. Also, United fliest to a LOT more Asia destinations than DL. DL very much relies on funneling passengers thru ICN. All the more reason an ICN flight makes more sense.
only if you count the GUM operation which isn't really set up to cater to US traffic that isn't military. Leaving GUM out the only places United has flights to that Delta doesn't is HKG/TPE and a few weekly flights to secondary China(is any of that stuff left?). Delta also flies to NGO and FUK(FUK will be ending though and also isn't really set up for US passengers)

but either way, the JV is way to young for us to really know what Delta is going to do with it. They used the JV as a cop out for HKG. JV doesn't even included China.
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Anyone who does not have a nonstop to ICN and can get a better connection in SLC than at ATL, DTW, SEA or LAX will definitely connect in SLC. And that appears to be a lot of mountain, southwest, and midwest communities. Connections rich on both ends of ICN-SLC. Not O/D restricted on either end.

I see the only new flights DL adds to Asia will be from US gateways to ICN and PVG to feed their JV partners. I don't see any new cities in Asia being added to DL's network unless they get a new JV partner. I mean when you give up HKG, you are probably not looking to add new Asian destinations strictly for O/D traffic.
Delta doesn't have a JV partner at PVG.
Originally Posted by discoseal
I'm not so sure about this move. I think it's worth noting that neither OZ or UA have made a DEN/ICN connection yet despite their partnership.
UA/OZ aren't really close and UA has DEN-NRT flights.

I would certainly think ICN-ORD/EWR would come well before DEN, possibly IAD as well.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:35 am

I can't see it happening any time soon. The A332 struggled on even SLC-NRT and had to have have cargo and seats blocked. If it happens it will be with a Korean Air 787.
The A330-900 will solve that issue.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jeff767

The A330-900 will solve that issue.
Again, let's see the performance charts. But I'll play along and say that it won't have any issues. The A330neo name is a bit deceiving. It's not just a simple engine upgrade and aero tweaks like the A320neo. The airframe is bigger and holds considerably more passengers. 320+ passengers is way too much for such a thin market. The A330-900 is better suited for something like LAX-ICN or DTW-AMS. It's an airplane for hub-hub operations.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:04 am

The A330-900 is better suited for something like LAX-ICN or DTW-AMS. It's an airplane for hub-hub operations.
Such as SLC-ICN
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Such as SLC-ICN
They don't even run the A330 on SLC-AMS. Heck they can't even run AMS year round. If Delta's largest partner hub can't take that much capacity from SLC then ICN certainly can't. There was a good thread about SLC's international demand posted about a year ago. You should read it. The demand for Asia just isn't there. You need a healthy amount of local traffic for such a flight to work. Delta only operated NRT because of a subsidy and even that wasn't enough to keep them around. MSP didn't even have an ICN flight until just recently and they are the wealthiest of Delta's fortress hubs. You really should educate yourself on this matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.