Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lunch and dinner service on 8 hour flight from Europe?

Old Jan 18, 19, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering a flight BCN-JFK-RDU. It leaves at 12:45pm and is a 9 hour flight. Would this normally have both a lunch and a dinner service? Considering the time change (lands at 3:44pm in JFK) when would meal service be?
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm considering a flight BCN-JFK-RDU. It leaves at 12:45pm and is a 9 hour flight. Would this normally have both a lunch and a dinner service? Considering the time change (lands at 3:44pm in JFK) when would meal service be?
Most Westbound TATL flights include a full meal after takeoff (usually "lunch") and then a pre-arrival meal about 1-1.5 hours prior to landing in the US. Usually the pre-arrival meal is more of a snack than a full meal. Eastbound flights (assuming they're a redeye and not one of the few daytime eastbound flights) have dinner just after takeoff and provide a light breakfast about 1-1.5 hours prior to landing.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:16 pm

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
In addition to a full meal featuring 3 entree choices, and a hot snack and ice cream service before landing, Delta also serves a snack box mid flight, with a full beverage service. No one does economy class better than DL
RaflW, Duke787, SW7London and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks. That makes sense. Appreciate it.

Hoping to try Delta One service on flights in September, RDU-JFK-VCE-BCN-JFK-RDU. Have previously been on United Polaris.

(Not sure yet if going through JFK or ATL.)
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
My last westbound in Y, in addition to the hot lunch, snack box, and pre-arrival sandwich, also had a self-serve tray set up in the aft galley. Just the usual Delta snacks - peanuts, biscoff and pretzels - plus mini KitKats. But a nice touch for a little diversion or if one finds the in seat service didn't quite hit the spot.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. So Delta One meal service must be similar? Lunch or dinner then small meal before landing?
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Thanks for the info. So Delta One meal service must be similar? Lunch or dinner then small meal before landing?
Plus warm cookies mid flight
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Our pre-arrival snack last week on LHR-ATL was described as a stone baked pizza.

It was a burrito with mozzarella cheese.

The ice cream was a half Klondike bar on a stick.
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
OK thanks. That makes sense. Appreciate it.

Hoping to try Delta One service on flights in September, RDU-JFK-VCE-BCN-JFK-RDU. Have previously been on United Polaris.

(Not sure yet if going through JFK or ATL.)
I'd go via ATL. I don't find TATL worth it via JFK -- the flight is too short to sleep and leaves too early. These days I find myself saving my miles for TPACs instead and only doing TATL J if someone else is paying for it, if there's a crazy good sale (award or cash), or if I really need to hit the ground running and even 2 hours of sleep on the plane makes the difference.

Assume this is an award? Otherwise would advocate for BCN - CDG - RDU (so much nicer to arrive off a TATL directly into RDU vs. having to take another flight). Though I am also doing BCN - RDU later this year and could only get BCN - JFK - RDU as an award option so you might be in the same boat.

On meals I echo what has been said. I think I posted my experiences in Y last year on CDG - RDU and perhaps a couple other TATLs in the in flight meals thread but DL is pretty good about keeping you well fed and they do a number of drink passes. Only caveat is that if you want the healthy option (e.g., salad with a protein) you should sit in C+ or as far forward as possible in regular Y, they go quickly and I find the other options to be a lot worse both health and taste-wise (typically sodium-laden chicken or beef).
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. No award. On a cruise and working with TA on flights.
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Westbound TATL D1 second meal is typically a choice between two reasonably substantial dishes, like a noodle dish or a sandwich. Not a full service like the first meal.
Old Jan 19, 19, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first business class ďlunchĒ service is *a lot* of food. Appetizer, soup, salad, main course, cheese/fruit, dessert. You can usually ask for extra soup if you want too. You may not even be that hungry for the pre-arrival snack service 5 hours later. But itís still fairly substantial, not that different from a domestic first class meal.

On the routing, is ATL even an option for the outbound to VCE? That may only be via JFK. On the daytime return, thereís no real reason to prefer the longer flight BCN-ATL than BCN-JFK, and JFK might be faster overall depending on layover. And BCN-CDG-RDU isnít a bad idea, although if that means 763 instead of A330 (I haven checked equipment), Iíd be inclined to prefer the 330 routing for the better seat.
Old Jan 19, 19, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
The first business class ďlunchĒ service is *a lot* of food. Appetizer, soup, salad, main course, cheese/fruit, dessert. You can usually ask for extra soup if you want too. You may not even be that hungry for the pre-arrival snack service 5 hours later. But itís still fairly substantial, not that different from a domestic first class meal.

On the routing, is ATL even an option for the outbound to VCE? That may only be via JFK. On the daytime return, thereís no real reason to prefer the longer flight BCN-ATL than BCN-JFK, and JFK might be faster overall depending on layover. And BCN-CDG-RDU isnít a bad idea, although if that means 763 instead of A330 (I haven checked equipment), Iíd be inclined to prefer the 330 routing for the better seat.
Routing information comes from Delta's website. Options RDU-VCE are through JFK, ATL, CDG. Return BCN-RDU are the same.

My preference is to go through JFK both ways. I'll know in a week or two what the travel agent can do.
Old Jan 19, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Our pre-arrival snack last week on LHR-ATL was described as a stone baked pizza.

It was a burrito with mozzarella cheese.
Perhaps what they meant is it was a pizza made by a stoner who was baked out of his mind?
Old Jan 24, 19, 11:04 am
Original Poster

What are the mid flight snacks in Delta One? (other than the cookies) Travel agent booked our flight and it's going to be a 9 hour flight coming back from BCN-JFK. Might be nice to have a snack in the middle.

Search this Thread