Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Boarding Pass shenanigans--IS THIS A DUMB IDEA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Boarding Pass shenanigans--IS THIS A DUMB IDEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Question DL Boarding Pass shenanigans--IS THIS A DUMB IDEA?

Legitimately I am not doing this, but know some who are considering. Is this a terrible idea or no biggie?

Two people booked on same flight: person A in First Class, and person B in Econ.

Turns out person A cannot make the trip, but best move is to just leave the ticket unused. So person A and person B are both planning on checking in for the flight, with person B then boarding the plane with person A boarding pass (to sit in First Class).

Is this a dumb idea?
I wouldn't think they'd pull person B's luggage of the plane after his boarding pass didn't scan at boarding?
If person B is on a round trip itinerary would that jeopardize the return flight, since DL would not show him on prior flight?
What are the pitfalls and risks here, if any?

Thanks.

Last edited by dgilligan02; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:26 am

If baggage for a passenger that has not boarded a flight is on the plane, it will be removed prior to take off. This is a security concern and policy.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a roundtrip person's B's return ticket would be cancelled and would not have a way to check-in. Bad idea.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
Is this a dumb idea?
Yes.

I wouldn't think they'd pull person B's luggage of the plane after his boarding pass didn't scan at boarding?
They absolutely will offload luggage belonging to a no-show itinerary, so the only option is carryon only or have Person A check Person B's baggage.

If person B is on a round trip itinerary would that jeopardize the return flight, since DL would not show him on prior flight?
Person B's ticket will certainly be cancelled.

• Both Person A & B have to check in and go through security
  • If there are IRROPS or baggage delays, Person B may have a Very Bad Time® if needing to show proof of identity
  • Flying under or checking bags under another identity are certainly against Contract of Carriage, which could result in any number of outcomes depending on how the airline handles it if caught
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Legitimately I am not doing this, but know some who are considering. Is this a terrible idea or no biggie?

Two people booked on same flight: person A in First Class, and person B in Econ.

Turns out person A cannot make the trip, but best move is to just leave the ticket unused. So person A and person B are both planning on checking in for the flight, with person B then boarding the plane with person A boarding pass (to sit in First Class).

Is this a dumb idea?

Thanks.
Luggage will be pulled if it's an international flight. It's unlikely to be pulled on a domestic flight, though still a possibility. However, yes, Person B's ticket will be canceled upon the "no-show" for the outbound. Theoretically Person B could buy a one-way fully refundable ticket to clear regular security on the return leg but person B would be unable to check luggage under Person A's name on the return due to ID being required at check-in when checking luggage.

Another potential pitfall: if the flight is randomly selected for additional TSA Screening at the Gate, Person B would need to board with their own boarding pass so as to match the ID when boarding at the gate. As noted above, IROPS and being rebooked would be an issue too.

Though unlikely, other issues do arise with regards to diversions, in-flight emergencies, or God-forbid, the plane crash.
FlyingNone likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for quickly confirming what I suspected, that this is not without risk.

To me best move here is for person B to just board using their own boarding pass and then plunk down in person A's assigned First Class seat...and hope they don't get asked to move.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me best move here is for person B to just board using their own boarding pass and then plunk down in person A's assigned First Class seat...and hope they don't get asked to move.
Also a dumb idea, or at best, naive to how things work when flying today. Once Person A is a "no show" when the check-in window closes, their FC seat will then be given to an elite (or non-rev) on the standby list. It's a very rare event for DL flights to go out with empty FC seats due to the number of people who are on an UG list or non-rev standby list on a given flight.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

'not without risk' = understatement. There is an awful lot of risk!

Once person A fails to have their BP scanned the GA will likely process an upgrade from the list and then you sorry Person B will be told to move.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by KRUXED
If baggage for a passenger that has not boarded a flight is on the plane, it will be removed prior to take off. This is a security concern and policy.
Isn't removal only for international flights? Wouldn't domestic bags go on their merry way do to already having been screened?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Also a dumb idea, or at best, naive to how things work when flying today. Once Person A is a "no show" when the check-in window closes, their FC seat will then be given to an elite (or non-rev) on the standby list. It's a very rare event for DL flights to go out with empty FC seats due to the number of people who are on an UG list or non-rev standby list on a given flight.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
'not without risk' = understatement. There is an awful lot of risk!

Once person A fails to have their BP scanned the GA will likely process an upgrade from the list and then you sorry Person B will be told to move.
Haha, yes I agree. I don't actually endorse this at all, not worth it IMO. I just mean IF you're going to go for it, that's the way to go. Downside risk is embarrassment suffered in being asked to move later on (if the seat is open as you board) vs. other potential unpleasantries.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Isn't it illegal to use another person's boarding pass to get on a flight?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Possibly -- https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...106publ547.htm

Definitely a CoC violation --
B) Tickets are not transferable. The purchaser of the ticket and the passenger are responsible for ensuring that the ticket accurately states the passenger's name. Presentation of a ticket for transportation by someone other than the passenger named on the ticket renders the ticket void.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
No, probably not illegal so long as the person doing it does not show fraudulent documents or lie about their identity to a government official. So long as your name has been run against the government’s various lists and you’ve been screened the government is good. The whole matching tickets to the names bit is to prevent resale of tickets (not a crime but against the CoC) but it’s easier to say it’s for security. As much as they pretend they are; airline policies are rarely “laws”.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haha, yes I agree. I don't actually endorse this at all, not worth it IMO. I just mean IF you're going to go for it, that's the way to go. Downside risk is embarrassment suffered in being asked to move later on (if the seat is open as you board) vs. other potential unpleasantries.
I'm not going to speculate on the chance of it happening or the consequences of getting caught but there are plenty of things that could go wrong in this and result in "Person B" getting caught trying to fly as "Person A". Even something as simple as a seat swap by the GA to accommodate another passenger's request or needs could result in "Person B" being caught if the GA asks for ID when handing over the boarding pass. Getting rebooked in IROPs could raise potential of being caught and then being stranded somewhere, especially if the IROPS involves being rebooked on another carrier or an unplanned overnight stay.

Of course this all may be moot since we've covered that Person B's return would be canceled upon the no-show and they would be unable to check-in luggage as "Person A" on the return.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:39 pm

I can see this going horribly wrong - its not the embarrassment factor. Its the factor that the rightful owner of the seat comes along (via upgrade), and the squatter walks back to Y, it is probably cause a scene and some discussion amongst the FAs and GA that walks onboard with a new boarding pass for someone. The squatter could be seen as someone who might cause an issue in flight if they have the audacity to take an F seat that does not belong to them even before they have left the gate, and with airlines being as risk averse as they are now because of so many in flight incidents, they may pull the squatter off the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.