Search

Under seat Storage In F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Under seat Storage In F

so In F where there are 3 “cubbies” for floor storage. Window one is small, then metal bar for seat, middle is largest, metal bar, aisle seat is bigger then window seat one does one person get the right to 2 of the under seat spaces? (Especially since the window seat one can fit a purse at best)

i feel like aisle gets aisle and window should get middle but curious of thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I view the middle space as shared between the two passengers. Even if the other person doesn't have anything, he/she is entitled to half of the shared space to use as legroom.
Taz, CO-PLAT, CarmenOM and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I view the middle space as shared between the two passengers. Even if the other person doesn't have anything, he/she is entitled to half of the shared space to use as legroom.
fair enough but one person should not feel like they can put two bags under the seats?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

And before folks say “what’s the most pathetic thing you can complain about” or just tell them to move etc. I came here to ask what the etiquette was. For such a short flight you have to pick your battles.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris

fair enough but one person should not feel like they can put two bags under the seats?
If a passenger has two carry on bags, normally one of them would be expected to fly in the overhead bin. If there isn't any bin space (perhaps because the seatmate put two or more items into the bin???), then one would hope that people would be reasonably cooperative.
AKC6 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If a passenger has two carry on bags, normally one of them would be expected to fly in the overhead bin. If there isn't any bin space (perhaps because the seatmate put two or more items into the bin???), then one would hope that people would be reasonably cooperative.
Nope half the bins were empty at take off, I was actually surprised since the entire flight was full
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This situation gets my goat. I've arrived in my F aisle seat before only to see my seated window passenger already have his briefcase stuffed into the middle cube, while his cube where his feet go was empty.

Rude eff....but like someone said pick your battles and I just rolled my eyes at him.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:43 pm

There are a few different arrangement I recall seeing. In one it’s pretty obviously a shared space since the middle section is about half the total and double either end size. But IIRC there’s also an arrangement where the aisle seat has perhaps 45% before a divider, then the middle is a little smaller, then there’s another divider and a very small window seat area. In that case I just give the whole thing to the window seat passenger.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Also, the aisle seat has direct access to the overhead bin during flight. Window flier could put one in the middle cubby and one overhead, and aisle seat occupant could put both items overhead, and both passengers would still have full legroom in front of them.

If I had the window and was waiting for my seatmate to board, I would leave my underseat bag on the aisle floor in front of the middle cubby, then kindly ask if he/she needed to use the middle space before sliding mine into there. If they say they are using it , then I would get up slowly and deliberately move that bag from the floor into the overhead bin. Then as soon as the seat belt sign goes off, climb over him/her to retrieve it.
puck021 and Flapjacks like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by enviroian
This situation gets my goat. I've arrived in my F aisle seat before only to see my seated window passenger already have his briefcase stuffed into the middle cube, while his cube where his feet go was empty.

Rude eff....but like someone said pick your battles and I just rolled my eyes at him.
The case makes a good footrest.

Just take off your shoes and socks and rest your tired feet on it :-)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by vincentharris
And before folks say “what’s the most pathetic thing you can complain about” or just tell them to move etc. I came here to ask what the etiquette was. For such a short flight you have to pick your battles.
You asked who has the "right to the space" not about etiquette.

The answer to your question is that neither passenger has the right to any or all of the space. If there is a dispute which you cannot resolve, bring it to a FA's attention.

As to etiquette, don't expect any. Hopefully your shoes are muddy and wet and there's no better place to dry them out than on a nice leather case.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond

Just a thought...

Unbeknownst to me on particular aircraft, my laptop bag doesn't fit in the window "cube" I tried, multiple angles, and no luck. Wanting to use my laptop and other items stored within during the flight and not have to disturb the aisle passenger to get it I opted for the middle "cube". The aisle "cube" has more space it seemed without the curve of the hull to restrict the space, and aisle passenger can access overhead space without bothering anyone. So the question is would you rather be interrupted a few times for overhead bag access or lose out on the middle cube? I thought I was being courteous to keep interruptions to a minimum. Perhaps it would serve you well to give people the benefit of the doubt before you call people rude, roll your eyes and let it get your goat. I mean it is first class, there is a decent amount of space to share without harming any goats.
Flapjacks likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by defrosted
Just a thought...

Unbeknownst to me on particular aircraft, my laptop bag doesn't fit in the window "cube" I tried, multiple angles, and no luck. Wanting to use my laptop and other items stored within during the flight and not have to disturb the aisle passenger to get it I opted for the middle "cube". The aisle "cube" has more space it seemed without the curve of the hull to restrict the space, and aisle passenger can access overhead space without bothering anyone. So the question is would you rather be interrupted a few times for overhead bag access or lose out on the middle cube? I thought I was being courteous to keep interruptions to a minimum. Perhaps it would serve you well to give people the benefit of the doubt before you call people rude, roll your eyes and let it get your goat. I mean it is first class, there is a decent amount of space to share without harming any goats.
No it’s rude to assume. Whenever I’ve been in that position I’ve always waited for the passenger to sit down then I would ask do you mind if I use the middle cube.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
No it’s rude to assume. Whenever I’ve been in that position I’ve always waited for the passenger to sit down then I would ask do you mind if I use the middle cube.
That is a bit of a stretch there, but ok, about as rude as rolling your eyes at people assuming you know their motivations.

There could be many situations in which waiting for your seatmate to show up to ask permission on what is arguably no man's land is not reasonable. What, are we going to shuffle carry on baggage and hold up boarding while inconveniencing the rest of the passengers?

I get that asking, if possible is the best scenario, but I think you missed my point. Which was maybe their motivation was not actually rude, regardless of your arbitrary judgement of complete rudeness on their part. Plus all that aside, it is sad that we repay rudeness with rudeness.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Darn. I thought this thread was about a new feature on DL flights with under floor storage for FC passengers. Too bad.
ijgordon, DLBryon, ryw and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.