Under seat Storage In F

Old Jan 17, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Howste View Post
Darn. I thought this thread was about a new feature on DL flights with under floor storage for FC passengers. Too bad.
That isn't a new feature, under the floor is the cargo hold, they are happy to store your bags there.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
That isn't a new feature, under the floor is the cargo hold, they are happy to store your bags there.
Well, I thought they might at least have a door to access the cargo hold while in flight...
puck021 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Howste View Post
Well, I thought they might at least have a door to access the cargo hold while in flight...
If they do that it will only be for getting to the "Very Basic Economy" seats.
puck021 and DLBryon like this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
If they do that it will only be for getting to the "Very Basic Economy" seats.
Are those the VBE fares where they have to give the FC pax pedicures while they fly?
puck021, DLBryon and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, it only becomes an issue when the bag in that middle cubby is encroaching on the space physically in front of my seat, where my legs need to go. A true personal item, IME, should be able to fit to one side of the cubby and not encroach. If it does, we may need to have a discussion. If I have to put my bag in the middle cubby because the configuration doesn't allow it on the outside, I will certainly attempt to leave free space for my seatmate's legs and usually proactively apologize for having to use that space and "let me know if the bag gets in your way."

I guess really, it's just about being courteous.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:43 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
No easy answer. If window person can not fit briefcase/computer bag at window and the center is sitting there OPEN - why not use it?

Sounds like some folks think they should leave it empty.

And, maybe put computer in overhead, then make the aisle person get up while they retrieve and eventually put it back again.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
No easy answer. If window person can not fit briefcase/computer bag at window and the center is sitting there OPEN - why not use it?

Sounds like some folks think they should leave it empty.

And, maybe put computer in overhead, then make the aisle person get up while they retrieve and eventually put it back again.
The easy answer is that the F cabin is designed like crap. My laptop bag does not fit in the window cubby (at least not without taking a bunch out of stuff out of it) which is what forces this issue. It fits fine under Economy seats. Seems like the F cubby should be bigger than a Y cubby, or at least the same size.. instead the strategy is to split it into three compartments where the biggest one is no-man's-land?

Between the tray tables that lean at a 10 degree angle, tiny 36" pitch, cramped bulkhead seats (on some planes - looking at you 737-9) and busted F cubby space, I really do think that Delta has the worst domestic F hard product in the US.
Spiff, DiverDave and vincentharris like this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:59 am
azo

Yeah, not shared space. Yours is in front of you.

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
This situation gets my goat. I've arrived in my F aisle seat before only to see my seated window passenger already have his briefcase stuffed into the middle cube, while his cube where his feet go was empty.

Rude eff....but like someone said pick your battles and I just rolled my eyes at him.

this is where I pull the case out and say, is this someone's? it's in my space.

This is an airline configuration problem, not the passengers. I know the configuration when I buy the seat. do I get to share my seat mates window and dictate whether it's open or closed? No.

one can ask to share it. But be prepared for a no graciously. Don't be an ... about it. Sick it up and knows for next time.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:54 pm
BLT

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
I use my side

If my seatmate uses all of the middle space without consulting me I just put my foot on my side of the space on top of whatever they have in the space. So far no one has said a word.
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:40 pm

I had the weirdest thing happen. This guy comes in and sits down in the middle seat. But nobody came for the aisle seat. So he basically hogged both the seats amd I had no idea if he had the window seat or the middle seat.
Old Jan 18, 19, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Between the tray tables that lean at a 10 degree angle, tiny 36" pitch, cramped bulkhead seats (on some planes - looking at you 737-9) and busted F cubby space, I really do think that Delta has the worst domestic F hard product in the US.
I flew Alaska F r/t to SEA about two years ago (used DL miles back then!) I couldn't believe how stupidly large and ill-placed the electronics boxes were under the seats in front of me. I think both were 739 flights, but not certain. I don't recall the pitch being better than DL, maybe worse -- or thicker seatbacks ate more useable space? Anyway, not comfortable and I'd probably not have blown the miles on another F redemption with them, but DL solved that.

AA used to have noticeably better F leg room but of course that was compacted in the couple years between my F flights with them (they got spanked for trying 29" in Y, but the F squeeze seems permanent). I don't find DL's F amazing by any measure, but it's generally workable, and I've only once felt like the other person 'poached' my foot space in the no-mans land. People are generally courteous about keeping briefcases or purses to their side of the hypothetical centerline, in my window-centric experience. I travel with a very small messenger bag since all I need is a tablet not a laptop and it fits easily in the window cubby.
Old Jan 21, 19, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by PrincipalMember View Post
I had the weirdest thing happen. This guy comes in and sits down in the middle seat. But nobody came for the aisle seat. So he basically hogged both the seats amd I had no idea if he had the window seat or the middle seat.
I'm trying to understand this. He sat down in the middle seat, but nobody sat in the aisle seat. But you don't know if he was assigned the middle or window. It sounds like he had all three seats to himself.

I'm not sure how this relates to under seat storage in F either.
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
If Iím in the aisle I leave my bag in front of my seat until my window seat mate boards. If they are not using the middle, I use it but cram my bag close to my side so they can put their feet on their half. If they need it I shove my bag in the bin after everyone in F has boarded. If Iím in the window I pretty much do the same thing except ask if I can use that space for my bag. If they object which has never happened I would put my bag in the bin and take it down using a bit of a slow walk.
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:46 am

Considering that what I normally see is "I am in First ALL of my belongings go in the overhead" I fail to see how this is really an issue. I have even been told off by some DYKWIA jerk for DARING to want to put my small bag under the seat LOL! (He announced that "YOU ARE IN FIRST EVERYTHING GOES OVERHEAD" I ignored him)
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter View Post
Considering that what I normally see is "I am in First ALL of my belongings go in the overhead" I fail to see how this is really an issue. I have even been told off by some DYKWIA jerk for DARING to want to put my small bag under the seat LOL! (He announced that "YOU ARE IN FIRST EVERYTHING GOES OVERHEAD" I ignored him)
That's funny. It's certainly not true that there's necessarily enough bin space for everything to fit.
ijgordon likes this.

Search this Thread