Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Free First Bag for Delta Silver on VS Light Fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I have a trip coming up - outbound on VS, return on KL, Delta flight numbers. I am a Delta Silver. It shows up on delta.com as being Basic Economy.

As in the past, if I log onto the KLM website it shows that I get one free bag (due to Silver status). The Delta site shows I get no free bag. Given the flight is operated by KLM, I get the free bag (I know this from experience.)

If I log onto the Virgin reservation on the Virgin website, I can't tell if I have a free bag or not.

If I go here (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...atus.html/#wbf) on the Delta website it says "Enjoy your first checked bag free when traveling on Delta or airline partner flight."
If I go here (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html) Virgin is listed as a partner.

But if I go here (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ntic-faqs.html) it says that "elite benefits on Virgin Atlantic operated flights are reserved for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members."

So it seems that the website is a bit contradictory. I would assume that the specific information re Virgin trumps the general information about partners. Anyone have any actual experience/knowledge of this?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
I presume you got the one free bag on both VS and KL operated flights, in this instance?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kthomas
I presume you got the one free bag on both VS and KL operated flights, in this instance?
After my original post in this thread, I emailed Delta from the link on the website to ask a baggage related question. I received a reply that stated: "My research indicates that since you are traveling on Delta ticketed flight then Delta baggage policy applies. You will receive the first bag free."

We ultimately decided to travel outbound on the VS flight with hand bagage only to save time. I did notice when doing OLCI that the system would have charged me $60 to check a bag. Whether that could have been overridden at the airport - I don't know.

On the return we were allowed the free bag on KLM, but I already knew this was the case as the KLM reservation indicated that we would receive one free bag each - even though the Delta confirmation email said $60.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.