Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on Delta BNA or ATL to HKG -- Wait or Book now for Award Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Delta BNA or ATL to HKG -- Wait or Book now for Award Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

@RealHJ, These are the flights I found on the CI website, are they eligible for 70K (BNA-TPE is still 70K on Delta today)? If the agent tries to force it to ticket, am I obligated to purchase the tickets?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
One practical point on skipping that ATL-BNA leg. The drive is brutal after a TPAC (mine was the other way, but same point).
If you're sure you want to skip the last segment, try doing the ticket as an open jaw. Often this doesn't cost any more, either in miles or money, but with married segments etc. YMMV.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jt71903
@RealHJ, These are the flights I found on the CI website, are they eligible for 70K (BNA-TPE is still 70K on Delta today)? If the agent tries to force it to ticket, am I obligated to purchase the tickets?
Check the flights on delta.com segment by segment (dullta.com is close to useless for Origin to Destination searches sometimes; then you have to come up with your own routing and check the availability segment by segment, then call to book if available). First you need to make sure that the award flights you want are available. If not, then pick alternate ones.

If the award flights are available, AND you mix in no DL flights, then yes, this will work as a through-fare. Here as you are mixing in DL flights, it may or not price properly - moment you throw in a DL flight, all logic goes out of the window, unfortunately. However, if the DL flights are available at the normal level (low chance of that), it has a good chance of working as a through-fare.

I suggest first do the CI flights, have it put together, confirm it works properly, then add on DL flights and see what happens.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can also consider doing the DL flights as a separate ticket, either paid with miles or with money. However, I don't believe DL will check bags through to CI on a separate ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

@RealHJ, These were the flights I found earlier from the Delta.com, basically they were the same from the CI website. Both results have DL flights in the mix, and Delta still priced it at 70K. Would this work?

Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jt71903
@RealHJ, These were the flights I found earlier from the Delta.com, basically they were the same from the CI website. Both results have DL flights in the mix, and Delta still priced it at 70K. Would this work?

Yes, this should work 99% likely (1% if it doesn't work would be if DL somehow has married segment logic to charge more for flights to HKG with this specific routing, but that is unlikely as they don't even show in any search).

DL has blocked its site, and the res system, from allowing you to connect in TPE on CI-CI. But, a good agent will know how to override and get you your connecting flights in TPE.

So yes, this is practically certain to work. If the agent doesn't know what they are doing, HUACA.

Keep in mind that there is a many years long standing bug that will show additive price (87.5K here). A good res agent will know to ignore that and that it will price out at 70K correctly (for valid connections, as yours are), and to proceed with putting the flights quoted into the reservation.

If you get a competent sounding agent who is not sure what they are doing, you can tell them the basic steps (DL doesn't train its staff too well, so most don't really know their way around the numerous serious bugs and design flaws in the DL agents res system):
* in Award Shopping tab input from and to cities and also specify the connection city (TPE) - this last part is a must or else it won't show
* then they need to click on More Options, then SkyMiles/Direct Access, and then Find (if they leave this last part out, and only click on Award, it will not work)

After all that it will quote the incorrect additive price. They should ignore that. When they sell the flights into the reservation, the entire itinerary will price correctly.
flatdawgs likes this.

Last edited by RealHJ; Jan 22, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.