Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW-YYZ-PVG thru check bags DL to MU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had the app's track my bags work on two separate DL tickets when the bag was checked through, DL to DL, both domestic segments, although the first ticket started with an international segment: XXX-ATL-YYY on one ticket and YYY-ZZZ on the second ticket (both return portions and both DL stock, with all segments DL operated and DL marketed), where XXX was international and YYY and ZZZ are domestic. It also worked in reverse on the outbound portion of these tickets, although there I had more confidence as I had initially checked in with real DL employees.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
How did you get word that your checked baggage didn't make the flight? My experience when checking bags across separate tickets like this is that the tracking through the app becomes "lost" once you cross from the flight(s) on the first ticket to the flight(s) on the second ticket - I've had this be the case even on DL to DL separate tickets.
I asked a gate agent to confirm I was checked in about an hour before the flight, since no one in Detroit had looked at my Passport confirmed I had a Visa. She asked if I checked bags, and then told me MU had not received the bags yet. And they couldn’t go get them. She said I had to have checked them at the landside check in baggage counter, and shouldn’t have used the baggage transfer outside Customs.
The App does seem to have lost the bags. Maybe they magically got on the plane. Will find out in 12 hours.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by x1234
Another option is going through Chicago O'Hare (ORD) as MU flies ORD-PVG 5x weekly.
Often pricing under $2500 RT in Biz for a TPAC in a modern 1-2-1. Always worth a look for those of us flying on out own dime.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkCron

I asked a gate agent to confirm I was checked in about an hour before the flight, since no one in Detroit had looked at my Passport confirmed I had a Visa. She asked if I checked bags, and then told me MU had not received the bags yet. And they couldn’t go get them. She said I had to have checked them at the landside check in baggage counter, and shouldn’t have used the baggage transfer outside Customs.
The App does seem to have lost the bags. Maybe they magically got on the plane. Will find out in 12 hours.
Unless something changed the bag transfer belt area is only for bags connecting to WS.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unless something changed the bag transfer belt area is only for bags connecting to WS.
just to follow up.
My bags actually did make it onto MU208, and were waiting for me at baggage claim in PVG.
This may be a case of YMMV, but I’m not sure it was worth the headache. The signage certainly indicates that the transfer belt area is for WestJet only.
Next time I will just take my bags to MU check in counter.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta PM

just to follow up.
My bags actually did make it onto MU208, and were waiting for me at baggage claim in PVG.
This may be a case of YMMV, but I’m not sure it was worth the headache. The signage certainly indicates that the transfer belt area is for WestJet only.
Nice! Glad you lucked out!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

just to follow up.
If the sign said WestJet only, why did you leave your bag there? You didn't even have a codeshare and AFAIK WestJet is a bilateral partner but not (yet) in SkyTeam, so there's probably no relation beyond interlining with MU. Did some airport/airline employee instruct you to leave the bag at the transfer belt?

Any clue how/why your bag made it after MU told you it wouldn't be done? It sounds like you didn't have time at that point to go and fetch the bag (outside security, passport control issues?) or was it beyond MU's checked baggage deadline at that point? What did MU tell you would happen or were you somehow supposed to just deal with lost luggage in Canada on your return trip?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:00 am

My guess is that MU made a phone call to WS to plead for your luggage.

After all, you were flying business on MU. MU does want a return biz customer. You were a WS customer too. Luckily WS had enough ground staffing that day to transfer your PRIORITY luggage.

I was the passenger who had to go back there with a WS agent last year on my BOS-YYZ-PVG trip. Lots of hassle and walking around to get inside the belt area after you cleared Custom!! My luggage was pulled off the belt and sitting right next to the WS counter. (Actually agent in the WS office area called the staff next to the belt before accompanying me to backdoor the Custom.)

My company was not doing well on sales so we were getting cheap biz flights on travel. I flew a lot on MU. MU business cabin is not bad, 777-ER with 1-2-1 configuration. Plus you get the same MQM, almost the same MQD, lots of miles as Delta. Way better that AF KLM.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Walker1921
My guess is that MU made a phone call to WS to plead for your luggage.

After all, you were flying business on MU. MU does want a return biz customer. You were a WS customer too. Luckily WS had enough ground staffing that day to transfer your PRIORITY luggage.

I was the passenger who had to go back there with a WS agent last year on my BOS-YYZ-PVG trip. Lots of hassle and walking around to get inside the belt area after you cleared Custom!! My luggage was pulled off the belt and sitting right next to the WS counter. (Actually agent in the WS office area called the staff next to the belt before accompanying me to backdoor the Custom.)

My company was not doing well on sales so we were getting cheap biz flights on travel. I flew a lot on MU. MU business cabin is not bad, 777-ER with 1-2-1 configuration. Plus you get the same MQM, almost the same MQD, lots of miles as Delta. Way better that AF KLM.
1)He was not a WS customer. OP mistakenly placed his bag on the bag recheck belt after customs. This belt is only for bags connecting to WS flights.

2)You earn many more MQD and generally miles flying MU J fares than DL ones.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles
OK, silly question, why didnt you just fly direct to PVG from DTW on a Delta A350?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mindspin_311
OK, silly question, why didnt you just fly direct to PVG from DTW on a Delta A350?
For science!
So this is how it worked today ....
<flew PXH-DTW redeye last night, but that is besides the point>

At DTW, checked in, and bags checked through from DTW-YYZ (on DL) and YYZ-PVG (MU) - separate tickets

Arrived in YYZ, through immigration, claimed bags, through customs, turned left for connections and handed off bags there. Was a little confusing as signage made it look like it was only for WestJet connections. Was glad I could use the connections baggage drop, as I didn't want to have to spend a couple hours landside waiting for check in counters to open

Went upstairs and through security and sitting in KLM (not a great lounge) and then Plaza Premium (very crowded, tasty jerk chicken) lounges for a few hours (I ended up changing to an earlier DTW-YYZ flight, so have almost 5 hours in YYZ).

Leaving lounge in a few minutes to board
I live at YYZ and I didn't even know there was a lounge accessible in T3 Intl for Skyteam partners (e.g. MU flights). All those wasted opportunities.

Well, at least MU has never left me hungry after a flight, lounge or not.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:57 pm

Direct flight from DTW to PVG costs $13000 to $18000, depends how early you book; while by going through YYZ or ORD to catch MU, you are looking at around $4000-6000. My company won’t do it for more than $8000, not even for SVP.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Direct flight from DTW to PVG costs $13000 to $18000, depends how early you book; while by going through YYZ or ORD to catch MU, you are looking at around $4000-6000. My company won’t do it for more than $8000, not even for SVP.
IMO, even paying $6000 RT C is obscene. Walk to either ORD or YYZ and get a flight for $3000 from there. When paying out of my pocket, I have never gone over $4000 RT C for ATL <> Asia.

I do realize that there can be last minute biz issues that can drive the cost though.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
IMO, even paying $6000 RT C is obscene. Walk to either ORD or YYZ and get a flight for $3000 from there. When paying out of my pocket, I have never gone over $4000 RT C for ATL <> Asia.

I do realize that there can be last minute biz issues that can drive the cost though.
WALK to either ORD or YYZ? What's your time worth? Do you really walk from ATL to save money?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Yes, in my case it was <$3000 vs >$10,000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.