DTW-YYZ-PVG thru check bags DL to MU

Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
DTW-YYZ-PVG thru check bags DL to MU

Couple questions .....
On separate tickets (I think, I have a DL and an MU confirmation number), can I through check baggage?
DL DTW-YYZ
MU YYZ-PVG
tickets purchased through Concur in one multi city search/booking, and the MU flights do show up in my Delta online itinerary (with MU flight numbers, not Delta flight numbers)

Assume 2.5 hrs is enough time in YYZ to make this transfer even if I have to enter Canada and check in at MU counter .... but can I just stay in the terminal?.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
DL should check your bags thru to PVG, but you will have to clear customs and go thru security again. So you will have to collect and recheck your luggage in Toronto.
MarkCron and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks David. Same on the way back I would assume
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Another option is going through Chicago O'Hare (ORD) as MU flies ORD-PVG 5x weekly.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Are you sure they're separate tickets? You said you bought them using the multi-city feature in Concur. IME, Concur will ticket a multi-city itinerary on one ticket if at all possible.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
DL should check your bags thru to PVG, but you will have to clear customs and go thru security again. So you will have to collect and recheck your luggage in Toronto.
I'm not certain this is accurate. Both DL and MU are in T3 according to YYZ's website, and multiple threads (1) (2) state that USA-INTL can stay airside.

To answer the OP's other question, regarding checked bags, yes, DL will check all the way through. Whether one ticket or two, MU is a tier one Delta partner and on the list. They may need to ask the agent to check the list, but they can do it.
MarkCron likes this.

Last edited by Weekend Away; Jan 18, 2019 at 5:46 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Thanks David. Same on the way back I would assume
On your return, you will go thru Canada customs and immigration, and then pre-clear US customs too. No customs in Detroit when you deplane here.
MarkCron likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Even if on separate to let's DL will thru check bags to MU. Same in reverse. On way out you will have to clear Canadian immigration and pickup bags at YYZ, AND RECHECK WITH MU. Thus there's little benefit in thru checking them. Unlike YVR, there's no ability to skip Canadian immigration at YYZ T3 and bags don't transfer.

T1 where AC and UA operate I believe has a setup that allows you to skip entering Canada. However T3 doesn't.
MarkCron likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Are you sure they're separate tickets? You said you bought them using the multi-city feature in Concur. IME, Concur will ticket a multi-city itinerary on one ticket if at all possible.
Sorry for taking so long to respond to this. I did receive two invoices from Concur (well, actually Amex Global Business Travel, who does our bookings) - 1 each for DL and MU.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by x1234
Another option is going through Chicago O'Hare (ORD) as MU flies ORD-PVG 5x weekly.
Thanks, I did check ORD, LAX, JFK and all were a little too much on my dates.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Even if on separate to let's DL will thru check bags to MU. Same in reverse. On way out you will have to clear Canadian immigration and pickup bags at YYZ, AND RECHECK WITH MU. Thus there's little benefit in thru checking them. Unlike YVR, there's no ability to skip Canadian immigration at YYZ T3 and bags don't transfer.

T1 where AC and UA operate I believe has a setup that allows you to skip entering Canada. However T3 doesn't.
yes, you have to grab all your luggages and go through customs and RECHECK at MU. So basically DL can check you to PVG but it means nothing.

Last time I flew BOS-YYZ-PVG, my DL agent at BOS checked me to PVG and misinformed me that no need to take it out at YYZ. I ended up wasting 2 hours to retrieve my luggage through Canadian Customs s back door. Luckily I had more than 4 hours connecting time.

MU counter agents told me all US passengers must recheck their luggages at YYZ. Maybe they dont have the ground force to do that. Remember MUs business class is the cheapest.

Without any hassle, 2.5 hours connecting time is enough. Without saying, rat all your fresh fruits and stuff before getting off airplane.
MarkCron likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Walker1921

yes, you have to grab all your luggages and go through customs and RECHECK at MU. So basically DL can check you to PVG but it means nothing.

Last time I flew BOS-YYZ-PVG, my DL agent at BOS checked me to PVG and misinformed me that no need to take it out at YYZ. I ended up wasting 2 hours to retrieve my luggage through Canadian Customs s back door. Luckily I had more than 4 hours connecting time.

MU counter agents told me all US passengers must recheck their luggages at YYZ. Maybe they dont have the ground force to do that. Remember MUs business class is the cheapest.

Without any hassle, 2.5 hours connecting time is enough. Without saying, rat all your fresh fruits and stuff before getting off airplane.
So this is how it worked today ....
<flew PXH-DTW redeye last night, but that is besides the point>

At DTW, checked in, and bags checked through from DTW-YYZ (on DL) and YYZ-PVG (MU) - separate tickets

Arrived in YYZ, through immigration, claimed bags, through customs, turned left for connections and handed off bags there. Was a little confusing as signage made it look like it was only for WestJet connections. Was glad I could use the connections baggage drop, as I didn't want to have to spend a couple hours landside waiting for check in counters to open

Went upstairs and through security and sitting in KLM (not a great lounge) and then Plaza Premium (very crowded, tasty jerk chicken) lounges for a few hours (I ended up changing to an earlier DTW-YYZ flight, so have almost 5 hours in YYZ).

Leaving lounge in a few minutes to board
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Glad it all went well for you. But for me, it is a little disconcerting that Concord would book split tickets, especially on an international route.

There are many dangers in this for those who do not know what they are doing.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

To add another follow up.
I am on board, my checked baggage is not.
Using the transfer baggage for MU in YYZ does NOT work.
Yiu must pick up baggage and check it in landside , as at least one poster said above.
Bummed but a learning experience. Oh well.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkCron
To add another follow up.
I am on board, my checked baggage is not.
Using the transfer baggage for MU in YYZ does NOT work.
Yiu must pick up baggage and check it in landside , as at least one poster said above.
Bummed but a learning experience. Oh well.
How did you get word that your checked baggage didn't make the flight? My experience when checking bags across separate tickets like this is that the tracking through the app becomes "lost" once you cross from the flight(s) on the first ticket to the flight(s) on the second ticket - I've had this be the case even on DL to DL separate tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.