Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are flights to the West coast from ATL considered transcon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are flights to the West coast from ATL considered transcon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Has nothing to do with distance.

DL owns ATL, no reason for them to offer premium seats/service to compete. I guess when WN announces full direct access lie flats on that route it would change :-)
Not that simple. You can see that they DO offer one such flight from ATL. And they DON'T offer it from some likely destinations (the IAD-SEA mentioned above). I think geography plays more of a role than you might think. It's a sort of combination of the two things, really. They can't profitably offer premium service on EVERYTHING, so they focus on the longer routes.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Just to clarify, I'm not asking because of F/D1 service standards. I'm asking purely from a distance/descriptive point of view. For example, I wouldn't consider DCA-PHX to be a transcon, but I'd consider DCA-LAX to be one. ATL is a bit rough because it's on the east coast, but kind of a bit far inland from the ocean. CLT shares the same problem - is it a transcon hub or more of a longer midcon hub?

I personally consider all transcontinental cities to be BOS, JFK, LGA, EWR, PHL, DCA, IAD (although IAD is pushing it a bit as it's further inland), BWI, RDU, and MIA. The borderline cities, IMHO, would be CLT and ATL, and maybe IAD.

However, how do you define transcontinental? Purely coast to coast? As MD is east of VA where IAD is located... and SC is east of GA where ATL is located... would that still make them transcontinental?
All that matters factually is what the airline describes as a “transcon” and if that determines if the route receives upgraded/dedicated service/extra benefits. The longest nonstop route in the Continental US is SEA-MIA (AA) and SEA-FLL (AS and seasonal DL). These routes do not receive special service or upgraded aircraft or benefits. Next is SFO-BOS which does receive upgraded aircraft on UA and I think B6 Mint but I also believe was downgraded from a D1 route on DL.

Anything is really more opinion and semantics for which I’ve seen endless debate on FT about the whose opinion is “right” but that’s all they are - opinions and it really doesn’t matter if one person considers ATL-LAX a transcon and another person doesn’t.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I personally consider all transcontinental cities to be BOS, JFK, LGA, EWR, PHL, DCA, IAD (although IAD is pushing it a bit as it's further inland), BWI, RDU, and MIA. The borderline cities, IMHO, would be CLT and ATL, and maybe IAD.
IAD is a co-terminal of BWI and DCA. Further, IAD is farther east than RDU. I do not think IAD should be considered a borderline city if you consider RDU DCA and BWI transcontinental airports.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Andrew Kolodgie
IAD is a co-terminal of BWI and DCA. Further, IAD is farther east than RDU. I do not think IAD should be considered a borderline city if you consider RDU DCA and BWI transcontinental airports.
Agree, and I'd make Tampa a borderline case.

On the west coast, let's not forget PDX.

ADDED: OP has omitted BDL from the list.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 17, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Not that simple. You can see that they DO offer one such flight from ATL. And they DON'T offer it from some likely destinations (the IAD-SEA mentioned above). I think geography plays more of a role than you might think. It's a sort of combination of the two things, really. They can't profitably offer premium service on EVERYTHING, so they focus on the longer routes.
I also agree that geography and distance play more of a role than many on here give it credit for. It's not the only factor but it IS certainly a factor and this is driven by market factors. There is a market that is willing to pay for a premium product on NYC/LAX-SFO and part of the reason they are willing to do so is the length of the flight (~2500 miles and >6 hours going Westbound). Other routes out of NYC (and other business hubs) may have very high numbers in business traffic but the route is short enough that the market would not pay for flat seats or much higher levels of service. For example, LGA-DCA or LGA-ORD. While this route is a bit of an exception on service (at least last time I checked, on this route you'll get a meal in F on LGA-ORD during meal times) even some of the most liberal travel policies probably wouldn't support paying the fare premium that would accompany a lie-flat seat on LGA-ORD.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Depends on your definition of Transcon. If you are looking for special, upgraded service on these flights out of ATL, then the answer is NO. If you are thinking of distance, then the answer is maybe. SFO - ATL isn't that much father than SFO - DTW and most people would consider SFO - DTW a mid-con since you are in the middle of the continent as opposed to the east coast.

While ATL is in Georgia, which is on the east coast, it's still a 5 hour drive or a 235 mile flight to the coast. ATL is closer to the Central Time Zone border than the Atlantic Ocean.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

80% rule - if you cross 80%+ of the continent its a transcon imo.. ymmv
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by azepine00
By that rule, there is no flight out of ATL that goes to the lower 48 that is a transcon.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Ultimately, how you as a passenger defines transcon doesn't really mean anything. Much like the debate on what people consider to be 'long-haul', everyone can have their own opinion. The difference only matters when it comes to what routes the airline determines receives dedicated special service. For example, this time of year DL offers a once weekly flight between ATL-RNO on Saturdays. This flight is longer than ATL-LAX, but you never come close to the ocean. I wouldn't consider that a transcon and DL obviously doesn't due to the lack a premium market, but it's still 2k miles.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
My view is if I've gone from Eastern Time to Pacific Time (or vise versa), I've "flown across the country". There's two pretty good size mountain ranges in our country and if you've crossed both of them (or drew an imaginary line south from the southern tip of the Appalachians to the Gulf Coast) and crossed both mountain ranges, I would say you've crossed the country in that respect too. As you say, YMMV and as I noted above in my previous post, everyone will have a different opinion. I consider ATL-LAX a transcon. Others gripe at that. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter though. It's all opinion we'd have about as much settling the debate over whether Coca-Cola or Pepsi is better (of course, Coca-Cola is far superior. )
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Depends on your definition of Transcon. If you are looking for special, upgraded service on these flights out of ATL, then the answer is NO. If you are thinking of distance, then the answer is maybe. SFO - ATL isn't that much father than SFO - DTW and most people would consider SFO - DTW a mid-con since you are in the middle of the continent as opposed to the east coast.

While ATL is in Georgia, which is on the east coast, it's still a 5 hour drive or a 235 mile flight to the coast. ATL is closer to the Central Time Zone border than the Atlantic Ocean.
And DTW is actually (just slightly) further east than ATL.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by james318
And DTW is actually (just slightly) further east than ATL.
and — as anyone who has originated, terminated, or transited DTW can tell you — “Detroit Michigan is in the Eastern time zone”
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jrl767

and — as anyone who has originated, terminated, or transited DTW can tell you — “Detroit Michigan is in the Eastern time zone”
In more than one language!
steveholt and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:00 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not every West Coast destination gets the full lie-flat Delta One service. Not every destination that sees some D1 service has all flights with D1 service. As has been noted, it's not flight distance that determines service standards and aircraft used.
A good example is here in SAN where Delta only operates D1 once a day back and forth to JFK on the flight that competes directly with the jetBlue Mint plane--the midday SAN-JFK and morning JFK-SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.