Seat assignment on China Airlines CI

Old Jan 16, 19, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; IHG Spire
Seat assignment on China Airlines CI

I just purchased a DeltaOne flight with one leg operated by China Airlines. On the seat map on the DL web site, it showed all CI business seats on their 77W are "occupied." I verified with a phone reservations agent, and she said there were "unoccupied" seats not that flight but that they were "blocked" by CI itself.

I went ahead with the booking and skipped selecting a seat (only economy was available for selection, anyway). As my itinerary got confirmed within minutes, I was assigned an aisle seat on that CI flight! But I actually want a window seat.

How is the best way to go about reassigning the seat on the CI flight? Would I need to call CI direct? I got only one booking reference from DL (would CI have its own booking reference for its own segment?) Or can my seat only be assigned upon transfer in TPE?

Thanks for any info! (This is my first time flying Delta. I am a "refugee" from OneWorld/ CX Marco Polo Club )
Old Jan 17, 19, 12:29 am

Welcome to Delta!

You’re indeed right- whenever you are on a different airline operated segment, that airline will have its own PNR in its reservations system for you. Having that PNR should (in most cases) allow you to use that airline’s self-service tools (app, website for seat selection, meal, special service etc...) as though you hooked through them all along.

Good news is that a DL reservations agent should be able to give you the CI PNR in about 20 seconds; just call back and ask for this.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 17, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
It may help if you sign up for the other airline’s frequent flier program as well. That was pretty much the only way to get Vietnam Airlines’ website to cooperate with my skymiles booking a couple years ago.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
In October I flew Jet Airways (a Delta, but not Skyteam, partner) YYZ-AMS-YYZ using SkyMiles, booked through Delta. I had to call Jet & use their PNR to get the seat assignments I wanted.
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat
CI will have their own PNR (6 alpha/digit booking reference number). Regardless of anythig else, it is a good idea to get this as it helps with any dealings you will have with them

You certainly want to use CI to get your seat assignments. The CI website (I think) only uses PNRs to pull it up. If you call in the full ticket number should be sufficient.

I think CI has a 180 day limit on how early you can get seats.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/2MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
It may help if you sign up for the other airline’s frequent flier program as well. That was pretty much the only way to get Vietnam Airlines’ website to cooperate with my skymiles booking a couple years ago.
Can certainly be true, but, I have had several Bad Times® in the past with the mileage credit posting to the wrong program despite what is showing on the boarding pass (most notably with Flying Blue) - so do be vigilant.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: