Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK 2/4 - can I choose where I want to clear security, or do I have to go with bpass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK 2/4 - can I choose where I want to clear security, or do I have to go with bpass?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Question JFK 2/4 - can I choose where I want to clear security, or do I have to go with bpass?

I've got a flight from JFK T4 tomorrow (could change, but that's what it's showing now.)

Every time I go through security in T2, it's a pleasant breeze. Every time in T4, it's a sucky and frustrating hour where status doesn't seem to buy me anything and I'm passed by dozens of people that security lets by because they didn't plan and are late. Current shotdown can't help.

I'd love to just go through T2 and take the jitney - heck, I'm an avgeek, I'll be happy to take the tour! But can I? Or is whatever it says on my boarding pass for terminal destiny? Don't want to get to front of line in T2 and get sent back. Many thanks for your no doubt well-informed replies.

FTF
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've never had an issue at either JFK terminal, even when my flight was from the other one.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
No problems, you'll be fine, have a nice jitney ride!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Since gates change often - not sure if TSA even knows what gate you would be using.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Since gates change often - not sure if TSA even knows what gate you would be using.
Absolutely -- I have gone through the right terminal and then have the flight change on me
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA policy is that all you require is a valid document (BP in this case) for the airport for the day. You may enter any checkpoint you wish. Even those which do not lead to or permit airside transfer to your departure gate.

On occasion, you may find a line minder or TSA Officer pointing out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint. Don't worry about that as for most people, they probably have made a mistake.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, if you print out your boarding pass the day before, it won't have a gate assignment and I don't think it will have a terminal number either. So even if they did care, they'd have to look it up, and, well, I'm fairly certain TSA generally doesn't do that.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:49 am

Thinking of doing this next month too, possible with checked bags if I am doing a DL flight?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Thinking of doing this next month too, possible with checked bags if I am doing a DL flight?
I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure others have done it no problem. I probably wouldn't arrive right before the baggage check-in cutoff though (unless the alternative was missing the baggage cutoff because of the extra 5 minutes to get to T4 on the Airtrain...lol)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL doesn't care which terminal you check in or depart from. As someone mentioned, gate changes between T2 and T4 isn't unusual and you can check at any DL counter. Just be sure to allow extra 15 minutes for terminal transfer.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
TSA policy is that all you require is a valid document (BP in this case) for the airport for the day. You may enter any checkpoint you wish. Even those which do not lead to or permit airside transfer to your departure gate.

On occasion, you may find a line minder or TSA Officer pointing out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint. Don't worry about that as for most people, they probably have made a mistake.
Are you sure this is the rule at JFK? My impression is that you can't use a domestic DL boarding pass to enter T1 and use the AF or KE lounge.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure this is the rule at JFK? My impression is that you can't use a domestic DL boarding pass to enter T1 and use the AF or KE lounge.
You can access airside T1 with a DL BP. The line minder may give grief. However TSA will let you through. Lounge may give pushback, but technically you're allowed in if flying DL international.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses. Went though T2, jitney'd over to T4 and all was well.
FTF
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:52 am

I've successfully entered T2 and flown out of T4. They don't care, but like others have said they might try and just "help you out" by letting you know your "error."

I can't remember the airport... but I've also passed a TSA checkpoint successfully then come to realize I'm looking at a bunch of Southwest gates and had to go back out and enter through a different checkpoint. Oops.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Yes, not a problem. Done this before. Just leave a few extra minutes for the bags to transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.