FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Does being a senior ever mean anything in ticket purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1951436-does-being-senior-ever-mean-anything-ticket-purchases.html)

bbbacres Jan 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Does being a senior ever mean anything in ticket purchases

I shop for tickets often. Many of the ticket sites on line ask how if the passengers are children or seniors. I always check seniors, which they often list as 62 plus. But I have never, ever, seen it change a fare or give a special bargain. Am I missing something? Does being a senior EVER help in any way when it comes to airline travel, esp when purchasing tickets? Why do they ask?

davie355 Jan 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Not sure about DL, but British Airways gives flat discounts to AARP members.

Eastbay1K Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by bbbacres (Post 30663729)
I shop for tickets often. Many of the ticket sites on line ask how if the passengers are children or seniors. I always check seniors, which they often list as 62 plus. But I have never, ever, seen it change a fare or give a special bargain. Am I missing something? Does being a senior EVER help in any way when it comes to airline travel, esp when purchasing tickets? Why do they ask?

I believe WN has a discount on the full Y fares (but most other fares will be lower).

koreanair720 Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Deleted

scubadu Jan 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30663731)

Whose membership is available to literally anyone, of any age...

Regards

spongenotbob Jan 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by bbbacres (Post 30663729)

In rare circumstances (relatively expensive tickets) Southwest senior fares can be useful. Outside of that, no...

tartempion Jan 16, 2019 8:04 pm

Notifying airline you are a Senior makes them aware of potential problems with a passenger....

HWGeeks Jan 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Only Wednesdays if flying to a supermarket

Mr. Tickets Jan 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Northwest and many legacy carriers used to offer senior discounts, those have long since disappeared. Northwest also used to offer senior discount books. You could
by them in 4 and 8 coupon books. I think they worked out to be about $82.00 a leg. Availability was always easy and if I remember correctly, there was no penalty to cancel or change.
I said at the time that those would eventually go away as the baby boomers would be a large segment of the traveling population.

CarmenOM Jan 16, 2019 8:29 pm

I’m 76 and have not encountered any senior price advantages in flying or any other advantages that don’t require a disability along with age. There are some great senior discounts on trains in various European countries and even on Amtrak.

I suppose it’s an advantage that sometimes people offer to put my carryon in the overhead bin. But I usually refuse the offer since I have decided that I will not sit in exit rows when I cannot lift my suitcase into the overhead bin; I have to keep lifting that weight.

WidgetTravels Jan 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Not sure if they still do, but Delta used to offer Senior fares if originating in a few Central American countries...can't remember which ones though.

But for all practical purposes, there aren't senior rates.

glob99 Jan 16, 2019 8:53 pm

It's so they can send you ads targeted to seniors!:p

ilcannone Jan 17, 2019 12:07 am

Why should it make a difference? Start giving them lower fares then every other demographic will start wanting the same.

UKtravelbear Jan 17, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30663731)

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 30664051)
Whose membership is available to literally anyone, of any age...

Regards

The BA AARP discount only applies to itineraries starting in the USA and for US residents only. There are cabin restrictions as well (only for conomy and business) plus no open jaws.

ASMan Jan 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by koreanair720 (Post 30663843)
Deleted

Troll much?

Southwest Airlines still offers senior fares, only bookable thru their website or by calling them. My grandmother fly's Southwest often and the Senior Fare can be cheaper than walk-up fares and sometimes discount fares.

I hope you find the information helpful and happy travels