Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MSY new term question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Delta MSY new term question

Will Delta move its gates or Sky Club to the New Terminal at MSY
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, everyone is supposed to move. They will also have a brand new skyclub over there. Note the opening was delayed to mid May currently.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I have read that they plan to move everything to the new terminal between the arrival of the last flight of the day into the old terminal and the first flight of the next day at the new terminal. Nothing can go wrong there, right? ��
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Marylou
I have read that they plan to move everything to the new terminal between the arrival of the last flight of the day into the old terminal and the first flight of the next day at the new terminal. Nothing can go wrong there, right? ��
quite honestly I would not expect problems. they're moving across the alley. when DEN and HKG opened their new airports they moved to a completely new location and managed just fine
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by gitismatt
quite honestly I would not expect problems. they're moving across the alley. when DEN and HKG opened their new airports they moved to a completely new location and managed just fine
As the date has moved (again), it gives more time to plan, and more time for something to not work quite right.

I would agree, that the move should go okay... but with a few issues here and there. But, it is a short move across the runways.

I surely would not want to be flying out of there the first day or two.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Actually, it usually works and has been done time and again at airports around the country.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
My concern about the overnight move was its schedule right before Mardi Gras, when airport traffic will be quite high. Now that the opening has been pushed back, that is moot.

As an aside, what I'm looking forward to in the new SkyClub (as well as the other airline club spaces) is floor-to-ceiling windows and much better views.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Move date is now after both Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest----5/15.
silverthief2 and SuperG1955 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:33 pm

pretty much how it is done at every airport world wide.

not really sure what issues you would expect?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
pretty much how it is done at every airport world wide.

not really sure what issues you would expect?
Yet this is New Orleans. Having lived here through many admintrations, I admit to being somewhat jaded.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:02 am

Yet this is New Orleans. Having lived here through many admintrations, I admit to being somewhat jaded.
Not sure what it being NOLA or not NOLA will have to do with it. When it comes time to move 99.9% of it is on the airline.

When a new terminal/concourse/gate goes live it has had everything tested to death on it. When the move happens it pretty much just getting all the GSE/RON aircraft across the ramp and going.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Everyone thinks their particular hometown is uniquely incompetent and corrupt.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Everyone thinks their particular hometown is uniquely incompetent and corrupt.
Sure, but those from New Orleans (and Louisiana generally) happen to be right.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
The airlines certainly have incentive to get it right, so their ops do not get mucked up. It's the Director of Aviation and the construction manager that will determine whether the move goes right or not. Having met both and received a hard hat tour of the site from the latter last year, I would not be too concerned. @:-)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
My biggest concern is clearing security. Right now TSA is at Concourses B, C, and D (A is unused but would use the B checkpoint).

The new terminal is going to a single central checkpoint which probably means a single PreCheck like JFK T4. Hopefully the CLEAR pricing will hold down the congestion. The other thing is that DL is not the largest carrier at MSY, WN is. That means lots of inexperienced travelers, especially at event times and there are also many large conventions throughout the year.

I'm not familiar with the security layout of other airports with similar passenger volumes (BNA, HOU, AUS, OAK, RDU, MCI, SJC, SNA, SMF) but those that are hubs have a higher % of transfer traffic which don't require security. MSY has a very high % of O/D traffic which means lots of folks clearing security.

I searched for TSA stats for passengers at each airport but came up empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.