Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unable to Delete Segment on a Basic Economy Ticket - Any options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to Delete Segment on a Basic Economy Ticket - Any options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Marylou
It’s sad but true; basic economy is just that. Basic.
There is NOTHING sad about it. You are warned and have to agree to the restrictions in SPECIFICITY before you purchase basic economy. It's part of the trade off for the cheap flight. If you even THINK you MIGHT need to change a ticket, don't buy basic economy. It's common sense, and Delta makes the restrictions ABUNDANTLY clear.
Often1, zeer0 and Weekend Away like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Are you sure you can't get back in time? There are a lot of flights LAX-SEA. @jrl767 posted an option that sounds pretty good, and cheap. You dismissed him, but you seem to have been confused (stating you don't care about SEA-LAX, when he was showing LAX-SEA).

It seems totally reasonable to finish a meeting in LA during normal work hours and get to SEA before midnight that night. Now, you might not get to go home, but that's not 100% necessary is it?
per a later post, appears OP’s issue is that the LA meetings are all day Tues, and the booked SEA-LAX flight leaves Tues at 1900, connecting to LAX-SJO redeye that departs just after midnight ... last possible LAX-SEA is at 1500 which doesn’t leave more than the first half of the day for work
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:18 am

FWIW, the fact that the ticket is Basic Economy is only part of the problem here. Even with a flexible ticket, you wouldn't be able to just drop the initial SEA-LAX segment and continue on your way with the rest of the itinerary. Instead, you'd have to reprice the whole thing with a start in LAX, and it sounds like those tickets are now extremely expensive so you'd still have to pay the difference between the original ticket and the new more expensive price. With most economy tickets, you'd also owe a change fee.

So at this point it makes sense to just look at the cheapest LAX->SJO->SEA ticket you can find and buy that. As others have pointed out, it's reasonable to ask for your employer to pay for this since the change is caused by work.
ijgordon, DiverDave and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by eternalX
I I spoke to a manager in CVG. I would have to buy a whole new ticket from SEA->SJO with the new details, which is currently pricing out at $2500.
Is that for one ticket or four? It doesn't seem possible for one ticket to be that high in February with all of the competition on the West coast.

Bottom line is unless there is a large schedule change or IROPS, you must buy a new ticket.

Separate question - can you buy basic economy fares one way? If the pricing is close, might be better off in the future to buy as one-ways.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that this is the price for the new SEA-LAX ticket, rather it is the price for a new ticket SEA-LAX stopping over to LAX-SJO-SEA. It sounds to me as though this has little to do with the change and everything to do with the fare difference. A non-BE ticket might have reduced this total price by a bit, but that is unclear given change fees on international tickets. Thus, the inflexibility of the BE ticket may either matter not at all or very little.

Calling a phone agent is a poor way to price a journey rather than the simplest transaction (which is all the phone agent is doing). There is no reason why you must fly DL or any particular carrier for any or all segments and there is no reason why you need to purchase the LA segment as a stopover if you can accomplish your business there in <24 hours (connection onwards to SJO).

Either pay a good TA to look at options or spend some time doing the leg work and you will likely do a lot better.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by eternalX
This crossed my mind except my meetings are all day Tuesday. The flight to Costa Rica is at 12:30am (wednesday). I couldn't go to the meetings and get back in time to make the flight back to LA.
Are you sure about that? If you can provide your flight time from SEA to LAX, someone here might have an idea.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bubbashow
There is NOTHING sad about it. You are warned and have to agree to the restrictions in SPECIFICITY before you purchase basic economy. It's part of the trade off for the cheap flight. If you even THINK you MIGHT need to change a ticket, don't buy basic economy. It's common sense, and Delta makes the restrictions ABUNDANTLY clear.
I think it is sad that you are paying more for what you you used to get for free. Plus, just because it is basic economy, doesn't mean the flight was cheap. But yes, the restrictions are clear when purchasing from Delta.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Maybe the family can find a homeless person to take your place on a free flight to sunny LA. Use a refundable ticket for him to clear security, then fly him on your ticket. The odds of an ID check at a domestic gate are near nil.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:18 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Skyteam
Try obtaining a Dimond status quickly before the trip and hope for 1 time exception favors. Kidding aside, your best bet is to pray for a weather waiver or forest fire waiver.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I think it is sad that you are paying more for what you you used to get for free. Plus, just because it is basic economy, doesn't mean the flight was cheap. But yes, the restrictions are clear when purchasing from Delta.
"Used to?" Maybe 35 years ago on what was then a standard fully changeable ticket. BE is not the problem here, On a fairly standard discounted penalty fare, OP would pay a change fee of $300 or more as well as the fare difference . Tossing this BE ticket is likely not the bulk of the new cost.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
"Used to?" Maybe 35 years ago on what was then a standard fully changeable ticket. BE is not the problem here, On a fairly standard discounted penalty fare, OP would pay a change fee of $300 or more as well as the fare difference . Tossing this BE ticket is likely not the bulk of the new cost.
I am sure it was less than 35 years ago when I was able to pick assigned seats. And sure, maybe in this particular instance BE might not make much of a difference, but there are plenty of times when paying the change fee would be beneficial to the customer.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no such thing as "delete a segment" on any air tickets, not even first class. OP is trying to change to a different origination point which is not allowed for any ticket. Basic Economy just means there is no residual credit which he can use to apply to new ticket. He needs to make original flights as booked or purchase a new ticket, simple as that.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Which is why I near have and never will buy BE.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Marylou

Which is why I near have and never will buy BE.
There's a time and a place for BE. Super cheap RT's on 2-2 RJs on short flights, it's not a bad idea.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
The only things I can imagine would likely not work.

You may be able to get the ticket scanned as though you boarded even though you weren't present, but that is extremely unlikely and that is not the way buying an extra seat works.

I would be afraid to try anything other than just making it to the flight. It really sounds like that is what you're stuck with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.