Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AF paid upgrades: do you get the MQD/MQM of the paid upgraded seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF paid upgrades: do you get the MQD/MQM of the paid upgraded seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question AF paid upgrades: do you get the MQD/MQM of the paid upgraded seat?

So I took advantage of offers for upgrades at mobile check-in from pain W (Premium Economy) to business, for the TATL portions of both AF ticketed/marketed/operated segments. I only got my original booking class MQM/MQDs. Shouldn't I have gotten the business fare earnings? I sent in the receipts/reservations/BPs and the agent said no go. Paid partner upgrades are contractually only given credit for the originally booked fare.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: DL PM
i can't speak to MQDs as i live outside the US, but when i upgrade at check-in on KLM i only receive MQMs for my original booking class
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:25 am

happened to me twice. i read somewhere that if you did the upgrade a day prior you would get the new MQMs. however, it is not the case. i called delta twice and they both said unless you call AF/KL/DL to change your class of service (meaning paying the fare difference), upgrading that online would only earn you the original booking class. i have learned from that and will never not pay for upgrade for that one hour intra-europe flight.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
I have only received MQD and MQMs on the original ticket purchase.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:31 pm

This is explicitly discussed on delta.com, probably on the partner airline skymiles page? You do not get the bonuses for day-of-departure upgrades on other airlines, although I think you do if they offer you a buy-up earlier.

lightnig edit: hmm, actually it may only refer explicitly to the MQD for those sales.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
This is the norm for DOD upgrade offers on Delta as well as partners.

Most of the AF Business fares earn 150% MQM, which is the same as PE anyway.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jan 15, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Per the partner charts, the MQM earning rate for both W fares (W,S,A) and discounted business (C,D,I,Z) is 150%, so there should be no difference in MQM earning. There is a difference in redeemable miles class bonus 50% for W and 100% for Discounted Business, and a difference in MQD percentage calculation, 30% for W vs 40% for (C,D,I,Z). One caveat, on the premium fare deals page there was recently an O fare LHR-Asia on Air France, a business class fare that isn't included on the Partner charts and earns no MQM and MQD on Delta. I don't know if there is ever a situation where a buy-up would be into O, but that would be a situation where you'd want to retain earnings at the originally booked fare.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by roberta_h
i can't speak to MQDs as i live outside the US, but when i upgrade at check-in on KLM i only receive MQMs for my original booking class
i just wanted to update related to this post that last week i upgraded a few segments at check-in for some intra-europe KLM return flights and happened to receive 150% MQMs for them -- not sure if they'll stick and/or if this is the new norm but wanted to relay the info...
Old May 6, 2019, 8:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I've never received additional MQMs.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:40 am

Just went through this debacle with Delta. Short story is, if its marketed by Delta with a DL flight number, all paid upgrades should get a MQM bonus based on class flow, not paid. However, MQDs are only provided for upgrades if purchased through a Delta channel (Delta.com, Delta App, etc).

I flew from BCN to SEA, with a connecting flight in CDG. My flight was both ticketed (006) and marketed by Delta (DL), but I used the Air France website to check-in and purchase a business class upgrade from CDG to SEA, putting me in a J class. Per Delta's guidelines for Delta marketed flights: Purchased upgrades are eligible for bonus MQMs based on the class of service flown. After the Skymiles credits were processed, they only issued me a 100% MQM accrual, based on my paid class (Q), which was not correct per their program guidelines.

I called and talked to a Skymiles rep, who confirmed that it showed my class flown was J and issued me the 200% MQM accrual as it should have been. However, I did have to send in my Air France purchase confirmation to show that I actually paid for the upgrade vs getting a complimentary upgrade. I was only 4,000 MQMs away from qualifying for diamond, so I might have pushed a bit more than usual to make this happen.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Veejster
Just went through this debacle with Delta. Short story is, if its marketed by Delta with a DL flight number, all paid upgrades should get a MQM bonus based on class flow, not paid. However, MQDs are only provided for upgrades if purchased through a Delta channel (Delta.com, Delta App, etc).

I flew from BCN to SEA, with a connecting flight in CDG. My flight was both ticketed (006) and marketed by Delta (DL), but I used the Air France website to check-in and purchase a business class upgrade from CDG to SEA, putting me in a J class. Per Delta's guidelines for Delta marketed flights: Purchased upgrades are eligible for bonus MQMs based on the class of service flown. After the Skymiles credits were processed, they only issued me a 100% MQM accrual, based on my paid class (Q), which was not correct per their program guidelines.

I called and talked to a Skymiles rep, who confirmed that it showed my class flown was J and issued me the 200% MQM accrual as it should have been. However, I did have to send in my Air France purchase confirmation to show that I actually paid for the upgrade vs getting a complimentary upgrade. I was only 4,000 MQMs away from qualifying for diamond, so I might have pushed a bit more than usual to make this happen.
Did your paid upgrade book into (FULL) J or some discounted business class inventory bucket? If it was the latter (which I would expect for all but an extraordinarily expensive upgrade), IIRC you should have earned only 150% MQMs (as you would for a DL Z or I fare).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.