Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Good Deal? VS Economy Delight (MQM/MQD)

Old Jan 14, 19, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Executive Elite

This will be my first mileage run and churning, so let me know if I am doing this right!

Last December, I snagged a Virgin Atlantic deal for LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX departing early February. Total $1029 round trip for Economy Delight (V Fare) class. I made sure the fare condition was "V"-class, and remembered to put my DL skymiles number when I booked. According to the DL/VS Airlines Partner chart, I can expect 125% MQM and 25% MQD for V-Class. According to the Skymiles Calculator, the total miles flown are 22,100 mi

After conversion, I should expect roughly 27,625 MQM / $5,525 MQD / 3.7CPM Does that make sense? Seems like a great deal especially for ~5.5 x MQD

I also have DL Platinum status. Can I expect to be upgraded at all?
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:59 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
There's no comp upgrades on long-haul international except in very rare instances where they are oversold in a cabin and need to make room (op-ups). They will not upgrade you just because they have empty seats. You can find the Delta routes that are comp upgrade eligible here --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
rubey419 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Executive Elite
Thanks for the reply! But as far as my assumptions, do they appear correct? I want to maximize my MQM/MQD as much as possible, does this seem like a good bargain?
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:19 pm

It's a good deal.

Note that VS offers cash upgrades in the airport to PE and J. Every time I wanted to get such upgrade it was available at check-in for anything from $600 to $1100 PE to J.

I have heard other people got $300 Y to PE.

Not sure about Y to J rates.
rubey419 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rubey419 View Post
Thanks for the reply! But as far as my assumptions, do they appear correct? I want to maximize my MQM/MQD as much as possible, does this seem like a good bargain?
Your RDM/MQM/MQD calc looks correct. As for a good bargain, that's all relative. Depends on if this MR will put you into the next status level, how much you value said status, and your appetite for slugging it in Y for ~40hrs.

I did a very similar MR over Thanksgiving 2016 in PE (W) on VS SFO-LHR-JNB-LHR-SFO for ~1200 which got me to DM. As PM you'll have access to the clubhouse at LHR in both directions (assuming you're on same day connections) but not JNB so plan accordingly. I got to JNB early to check out the clubhouse but was denied entry by the lounge attendant claiming the PM/DM clubhouse benefit only extends to LHR and US locations when traveling on a same day TATL.
rubey419 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:36 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by JAeX View Post
Your RDM/MQM/MQD calc looks correct. As for a good bargain, that's all relative. Depends on if this MR will put you into the next status level, how much you value said status, and your appetite for slugging it in Y for ~40hrs.

I did a very similar MR over Thanksgiving 2016 in PE (W) on VS SFO-LHR-JNB-LHR-SFO for ~1200 which got me to DM. As PM you'll have access to the clubhouse at LHR in both directions (assuming you're on same day connections) but not JNB so plan accordingly. I got to JNB early to check out the clubhouse but was denied entry by the lounge attendant claiming the PM/DM clubhouse benefit only extends to LHR and US locations when traveling on a same day TATL.
VS has raised the PE fares since Economy Delight was introduced and you won't find nearly as attractive fares any more in PE. OP's numbers are correct (I flew this route last year). The VS lounge agents are correct in that PM/DM's don't get lounge access in JNB (just LHR). There are a couple of PP lounges at JNB and I used one of those. I have a $95/year Hilton Amex Ascend card which comes in handy in these cases as it includes 10 free PP visits.
rubey419 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:13 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
SHHH! Don't make it too obvious to Delta about this and get it all changed!?!?!?!!
rubey419 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Unless you have a huge stash of rollover miles, your MQD would outpace MQM as far as elite status is concerned after this run (MQM would be Silver level; while MQD would be closer to Gold). Time form some MQM runs
rubey419 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/2MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sliding in to say, good CPM, but man this just makes me hurt to think about.
Old Jan 16, 19, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the comments. Glad to hear my calculations and assumptions are sound. Especially since it's my first mileage run on a $1k impulse buy, so would've been so disspointed if the payoff wasn't what I expected

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
SHHH! Don't make it too obvious to Delta about this and get it all changed!?!?!?!!
Exactly my thoughts! Seems like a better deal than the past Aeromexico first class deals I've read about, in terms of most MQD/MQM for the buck. I'll keep a lookout for VS Econ Delight routes more!

Originally Posted by AntonS View Post
It's a good deal.

Note that VS offers cash upgrades in the airport to PE and J. Every time I wanted to get such upgrade it was available at check-in for anything from $600 to $1100 PE to J.

I have heard other people got $300 Y to PE.

Not sure about Y to J rates.
Good to know I'll keep on a lookout!
Old Jan 16, 19, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Unless you have a huge stash of rollover miles, your MQD would outpace MQM as far as elite status is concerned after this run (MQM would be Silver level; while MQD would be closer to Gold). Time form some MQM runs
Agreed I booked this flight mostly to have a comfortable MQD margin early in the year, so that any future runs later would just need to be on cheap MQM segments. I'm hoping my job will carry me through to at least requalify for Platinum in 2020, as I did late last year for 2019, flying mostly short distance domestic about half the year for work.

But really want to gun for Diamond in 2020 if meant 1-2 more mileage runs. I'll have the rest of the year to plan it out.

Originally Posted by webmarks View Post
Sliding in to say, good CPM, but man this just makes me hurt to think about.
Im taking an extra day off work to make sure I can readjust when I get back. I definitely won't want to do this often. Plunging into the deep end for my first run
olegator likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/2MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rubey419 View Post
Im taking an extra day off work to make sure I can readjust when I get back. I definitely won't want to do this often. Plunging into the deep end for my first run
Hat's off to you. Drink plenty of water, pop some low-dose aspirin, and stretch your legs often. Safe travels!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: