Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's with Delta's inventory management on leisure routes?

Old Jan 14, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

A bit of a rant, but just wanted to complain as this is the third time I've gotten dinged by Delta's inventory management on leisure routes. Delta seems very good about managing capacity such that there are always seats available last minute - except at leisure destinations.

I tried to change plans while on vacation while staying in PDL, CUN, and SJD. Every single time I've had to fly someone other than Delta because the logical Delta routes are completely sold out a week in advance.

Next Monday (yes, I realize it is MLK day which is contributing), CUN->ATL is sold out in Y for every flight except the 8 AM. You can still get an F ticket at 12 PM or 1:35 PM (which is a pain if you're doing a corporate booking even though it's only $50 more than a full fare Y... why not just sell the Y ticket if there is the space?), but the 3 PM and 5 PM are both completely sold out.

I get that they are trying not to strand passengers in a foreign country with overbooking, but it is just frustrating because I see fare sales where the segment basis for ATL<->CUN is like $40. They're willing to fill the plane up with $40 tickets while not saving some space for a $1000 single segment one way ticket - 25 seats worth of $40 passengers.

I'm sure they've done analytics that say it's not worth it from a RM perspective, but one of the reasons to fly the legacies is that they always seem to have one more seat available and that gives you flexibility (admittedly at a cost). The fact that this has happened to me 3 times tells me it is a systemic issue with how they manage inventory at leisure tourist destinations and not simply a one-off.
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
I tried to change plans while on vacation while staying in PDL, CUN, and SJD. Every single time I've had to fly someone other than Delta because the logical Delta routes are completely sold out a week in advance.
I guess you're arguing that Delta should charge more so it sells fewer seats in advance and has them available for last-minute purchases.
Old Jan 14, 19, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's wrong with flying someone other than Delta?
DiverDave and fotographer like this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:33 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yea... I guess they could raise rates a bit to increase the CHANCES of having a seat open.

As to the situation where only first is open... maybe a way around that... maybe... buy a fully refundable Y ticket for the next day via the company process. Then after you have a receipt, call and change it to the F seat on the day you want. Just a WAG.
Old Jan 14, 19, 10:59 am

Isn't it still true that you are guaranteed availability on a full fare ticket as skyteam elite+? I.e. you could call up DL and they could force inventory to book you on the flight.
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Isn't it still true that you are guaranteed availability on a full fare ticket as skyteam elite+? I.e. you could call up DL and they could force inventory to book you on the flight.
From https://www.skyteam.com/en/about/faq/elite-elite-plus:

Guaranteed full-fare Y-class reservation on sold-out long-haul flights, at least 24 hours prior to departure.
I'm not sure SJD or CUN -> ATL would be considered long-haul though PDL seems likely.
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Good question.. I will try this. I believe the benefit only applies to "long haul" so not sure what the official definition of that is. Will call in and ask (or maybe just tell and see if they say no ).
Old Jan 14, 19, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Good question.. I will try this. I believe the benefit only applies to "long haul" so not sure what the official definition of that is. Will call in and ask (or maybe just tell and see if they say no ).
I'd be very interested to hear who's redeemed this benefit.
Old Jan 14, 19, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I guess you're arguing that Delta should charge more so it sells fewer seats in advance and has them available for last-minute purchases.
OP is arguing that of the 180 million+ passengers DL flies annually, DL should manage its inventory and sales so as to best benefit OP's preferences.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I think it's more about the competition on any given route vs leisure/business type destination. I've long been highly annoyed that MSM<>MSP used to never be below $469, even for what are obviously weekend trips. I seriously hate driving and it drove me nuts. I even wrote a letter to Richard Anderson on it. MKE<>MSP and ORD <>MSP were both often < $200 and are longer routes, but have competition. So I'm not so much sure it's the destination as it is the competition on the directs. (You can now get Basic Economy for $261 on MSN<>MSP -- I'm sure my letter was instrumental in that! (Irony)).
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1 View Post
I'd be very interested to hear who's redeemed this benefit.
I called.. they said that they only force inventory if it is within 24 hours of departure which is the opposite of what the Elite+ rule says. She agreed that it ran contrary to what the Elite+ rules said (although we didn't discuss "long" vs "short") - but she basically said revenue management was refusing to do it and there was nothing she could do. In other words, no dice.. I could try day of but that would be a risky proposition.
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once when I tried to do it, I was told no because DL was still selling FC seats on the flight, so my only option would have been to purchase the full F ticket, not get a "guaranteed" coach seat for a full Y fare.
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Once when I tried to do it, I was told no because DL was still selling FC seats on the flight, so my only option would have been to purchase the full F ticket, not get a "guaranteed" coach seat for a full Y fare.
In my case F was sold out too so... seems to me like Delta just doesn't have a consistent policy for this.
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
HUCA?
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dEagleS View Post
HUCA?
I don't believe it will work in this case. Reality is that revenue management has to open up inventory - the reservation agent can't do it. If revenue management said no, then that's a hard no. Revenue management is considered above God himself at Delta, so their answer is final.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: