Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL South Pre Check 1/14/19 Heads Up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm confused--TSA says Pre folks waited an average of less than 10 minutes but the graph says 88?
National average vs the wait times at ATL.

Does anyone know how today was? I looked at the info on the airport's website and it looked like all the waits were 15 minutes, or so.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by emma dog

Does anyone know how today was? I looked at the info on the airport's website and it looked like all the waits were 15 minutes, or so.
CNN was showing a mile long line at ATL
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Actually, a 3-5% capacity reduction can completely break the system. In any standard queueing model, wait times do not increase linearly in utilization. In a very basic queueing model with a single server, waiting time is proportional to 1/(1-utilization), where utilization is arrival rate divided by service rate. A small reduction in service rate can therefore lead to a huge increase in waiting time. A system that goes from 90% to 92% utilized will therefore see waiting times increase roughly 25%. Not bad, but going to 94% would result in waiting times increasing roughly 66%. Going to 96% would result in the waiting time increasing by 150%.

Obviously TSA screening is a lot more complicated than an M/M/1 queue, but the same principles apply. Slightly reducing capacity drives up utilization; increasing utilization increases waiting time only slightly at first, but eventually it hits the fan, so to speak.
Whatever you do that gives you this kind of insight sounds really cool. How do I do that too?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by emma dog

I went through domestic south today around 10:30AM and it was super smooth, like any other tuesday mid morning.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Not to support Reddit's editorial quality.. but this video is the best (if not a little too sped up):

https://v.redd.it/wt3nv4rdwfa21
There was a thread in the Atlanta subreddit on reddit that had more on-the-ground reporting than this thread, actually.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:39 pm

Also, Atlanta sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on Precheck times. Then again, it can get to 30 minutes on a regular Monday. Seeing how the waits compare to a normal Monday would be interesting. But this is my home airport and even with Precheck I spend a lot of time in security lines.

On the plus side, I should be good going through Precheck at DCA tomorrow. Or today. Damn, I need to stop working.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Not only is private airport screening and security proven, time and again, the be vastly superior and more competent than TSA.GOV, but it also helps immunize air travel from .GOV bureaucracy.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Do we know if the flu is bad in ATL?
Anecdotally I haven't seen much of the flu this year. There's a non-flu cold going around, just ordinary cold, and a stomach flu that went around over the holidays, but this is just anecdotal around where I live and work. Nothing really in the news I've heard about anything significant.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: A few
Small data point, went through this morning around 05:45, TSA Pre North was about half way down the glass wall, TSA Pre South was a single line out to the entrance and beginning to snake, Regular lanes in the center were about 3/4 full (didn't get a chance to see how many lanes were open); Clear was starting to back up outside the glass wall and Priority lane at South was backed up past the Clear entrance.

Last edited by Loadmaster; Jan 16, 2019 at 6:02 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
around 645a today it took me 40 minutes to go thru clear/precheck in the south terminal. can't wait for this to be over or better yet privatize tsa. Most of us travel all over the country. Atlanta is always worse than the other airports I use.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Whatever you do that gives you this kind of insight sounds really cool. How do I do that too?
That comment made me want to go to Georgia Tech and get a Masters or PhD in Industrial Systems Engineering.
Maybe the OP has a shortcut to his/her understanding of lines.
But after that comment, we really shouldn't call lines "lines" because the math behind them is anything but linear.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
But after that comment, we really shouldn't call lines "lines" because the math behind them is anything but linear.
But is there any scientific proof that queues move faster than lines?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
But is there any scientific proof that queues move faster than lines?
Queue in French means "tail"
And if you follow the tail of an animal, it leads to the anus.
Is that why they insist on calling the ATL security lines "queues"?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Queue in French means "tail"
And if you follow the tail of an animal, it leads to the anus.
Is that why they insist on calling the ATL security lines "queues"?
It's like the old saying about dog and horse teams.

"If you're not the lead animal, the scenery never changes."
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
CNN was showing a mile long line at ATL
CNN International is reporting (as of an hour or so ago) that 20 TSA employees were flown to ATL to help with the long lines. It sounds like a drop in the bucket to me in that given the numbers who always appear to be just standing around, 20 might be enough to cover one or two additional screening stations 24/7.

I guess the good news for ATL is that unlike some other airports where they have closed a terminal for the duration, in ATL there's no option of shutting down the international F terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.