Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on why Delta doesnt do International upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Why doesn't Delta do upgrades on international flights. For instance a recent trip from MSP-AMS had literally every seat, except for 2, OPEN in Delta one. I can understand wanting to sell the seats but you would think they would do upgrades 1 hour from departure or something. With 20+ seats open it was a very very small chance or selling out at the last minute.

Thoughts?
Icydubloon likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by highroller4321
Why doesn't Delta do upgrades on international flights. For instance a recent trip from MSP-AMS had literally every seat, except for 2, OPEN in Delta one. I can understand wanting to sell the seats but you would think they would do upgrades 1 hour from departure or something. With 20+ seats open it was a very very small chance or selling out at the last minute.

Thoughts?
DL does give complimentary upgrades on some international flights. Generally on single aisle aircrafts.

They also allow upgrades for some elites using upgrade instruments. I’d guess that the main reason not to allow free upgrades is to encourage customers to actually purchase business class seats.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They are also happy to let one use miles to upgrade on qualifying fares.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:01 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Why doesn't Delta do upgrades on international flights.
better question: why should they do these upgrades?
HDQDD, RFNJ, boss315 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
DL will adjust their fares and paid/mileage upgrade offers accordingly to maximize profit on that route. Your flight was just one data point in their system, and it was most likely the exception rather than the rule. They will make adjustments to ensure it happens less often in the future.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Why didn't you buy a business class seat?
BearX220, M2578Z, manacit and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
DL wants flyers to pay for a business class seat, with GUCs and mileage awards being the exception to the rule. Traditionally, airlines don't earn that much selling economy seats. It makes business sense that DL wants to monetize a premium product.

Theoretically, DL could improve their post-purchase upgrade offers (most retail customers won't pay $10K for a business class ticket and most companies either won't pay for business-class travel or have deeply discounted negotiated rates) or have some sort of bidding process like some of their partners, but I guess DL thinks that doing so would devalue their premium product because then people would start gaming the system.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:38 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Don't put too much attention on open D1 seats. Delta might start online bidding.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS does offer online bidding for cash upgrades. There is no guarantee they will accept any bid so they retain full control and that prevents people trying to game the system because they control who gets offered it.

BA also has a limit on how many airport cash upgrades you can get (I think it’s 3 per year) so again they can control who gets the chance to buy an upgrade. And it isn’t always the Golds.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Is there any easy way for me to tell what international flights will be eligible for upgrades on. I am diamond but up until now almost all of my travel has been state side or paid Delta 1.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Why doesn't best buy upgrade me to a 50 inch TV when I buy a 32 inch one?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I'm sure they will if you pay the price difference.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:33 pm

Are you talking about paid or complimentary upgrades? They do sell upgrades (miles or cash), although are much less aggressive with upgrade offers than other airlines.

The answer as to why they don’t provide complimentary upgrades is simple: revenue management. Which is to say, Delta think they can make more money maintaining high fares even if that means leaving seats empty. If travelers thought they had a reasonably good chance of being upgraded for free, many may not buy the much higher business class fares.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
There's nothing like that complimentary upgrade to a 50 inch 8K TV from a 32 inch one.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Is there any easy way for me to tell what international flights will be eligible for upgrades on. I am diamond but up until now almost all of my travel has been state side or paid Delta 1.
It's on their website, but just to give you a hint... Anything International without Delta One Service (except the newer routes with Premium Select). So Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.