Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on why Delta doesnt do International upgrades

Thoughts on why Delta doesnt do International upgrades

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
One of the many differences between international J and domestic F/J is that a very large percentage of those in paid international J easily meet the MQD threshold for DM. If you’re buying peak international J fares, often two R/Ts will get you to $15k in MQDs, and it would rarely be more than four. Given that many paid international J fares likely easily qualify for DM, it seems clear that Delta would be wary of offering complimentary medallion upgrades on these routes. If you have a bunch of people that do 2-4 R/Ts in paid J early in the year and then start taking their chances on upgrades, that could turn into a serious RM problem. This is not the case with paid domestic F, where it would often take at least 10 R/Ts to get to $15k MQD.

Moreover, Deta probably figures that if there are a few (or several) empty D1 seats on international routes, it adds to the exclusivity of the experience and hence makes it easier to continue charging high prices. That said, I’ve done a lot of international D1 and remember few if any empty seats.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Here’s another consideration: GUCs are a strong incentive for many to earn Diamond. If there were complementary upgrades, the incentive could be somewhat weakened (realizing of course that DMs would still have priority for complementary upgrades).
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acrophobia
Here’s another consideration: GUCs are a strong incentive for many to earn Diamond. If there were complementary upgrades, the incentive could be somewhat weakened (realizing of course that DMs would still have priority for complementary upgrades).
Also reduces incentive to upfare to a K+ fare for the possibility of mileage upgrades.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by highroller4321
Why doesn't Delta do upgrades on international flights. For instance a recent trip from MSP-AMS had literally every seat, except for 2, OPEN in Delta one. I can understand wanting to sell the seats but you would think they would do upgrades 1 hour from departure or something. With 20+ seats open it was a very very small chance or selling out at the last minute.

Thoughts?
Ain't gonna happen. As noted, DL doesn't just give complimentary upgrades away to D1 on international flights because it's protecting the revenue premium it gets for D1 seats - that premium is way more than premium over Main Cabin to FC on a domestic flight. DL is smart enough to know if it gives away open seats to Elites that otherwise sell for several thousand dollars, many people will instead pay only main cabin fares and hold out for a free upgrade.
Second factor that I may have missed but don't think I saw it in the thread yet is employee compensation. Many employees take advantage of non-rev travel in the premium cabin to travel internationally in their time off, which those, especially with seniority, often take frequent advantage of. This allows DL to give a benefit that is perceived as valuable to the employee with little extra material cost to DL as the product was going to spoil anyway. If DL starts giving away J seats to Medallions on int'l flights and employees are then unable to use this benefit, you can bet the employees will likely demand far more compensation and pay which would have a much higher cost to DL.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
Flying HND-LAX tomorrow with 18 seats left in D1.

The app offered us an UG to D1 for $693 even though our GUCs had already cleared. it disappeared once the screen “updated.”

That’s about as close as you’re going to get with an UG.
Those will almost all certainly go to non-revs.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
How about only DM get upgrades to D1 on Intl legs?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:21 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I would be all over that 693 if I wasn't using an upgrade. Seems like a VERY reasonable price for that leg.
I agree, especially for a night flight!

My GUCs expire today.....lol....so I had to use them!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:21 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by loratliff

App is still showing 18 seats available in D1. I will post once I get onboard!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Eddie98
It is not why Delta give GUC ? (AF/KLM, did not have this for the higher level, I did not know if other airline have something equivalent to the Delta GUC).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite Lifetime
I have had varying degrees of success with both KLM and AF for GUC. They are waitlisted at booking, sometimes months in advance. Had better success with GUCs on Delta metal from a confirmation perspective.

Seems like the partnership elements sometimes has different rules...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:58 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by loratliff

You’re right.

17 seats left. Flight leaves in an hour and there are 15 people on the Standby list. (Y has like 60 seats still showing)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree, especially for a night flight!

My GUCs expire today.....lol....so I had to use them!
It's always better to use them for something than to have them expire unused.

App is still showing 18 seats available in D1. I will post once I get onboard!
What was the outcome?

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
It is not why Delta give GUC ? (AF/KLM, did not have this for the higher level, I did not know if other airline have something equivalent to the Delta GUC).
UA and AA have upgrade instruments for their top tier elites that are more or less equivalent to GUCs. Certain foreign carriers have more limited instrument supported upgrade programs for their elites.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Eddie98
They do get them with GUC if they want to use them.
I am a Diamond, and WHOLEHEARTEDLY against Diamonds getting inventory in J for nothing, but status.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's not a better question, because it's an incredibly simple answer -- for the same reason they do complimentary upgrades on every other flight.
It's not at all the same.

And honestly, the answer to the question of "why they do them on every other flight" is "because of dumb decisions made decades ago that we can't undo without infuriating tons of people". Eventually that's going to be undone too, if not de jure the de facto via FCM.

One other thing to remember - a lot of people love to complain about the quality of cabin crews - if international D1 seats start going to elites for free and employees can't get them when non-revving, you're going to see a decrease in cabin crew quality.
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
As many have noted, it's to protect the stature/perceived value of the brand/protect .

Similar to a luxury brand rarely discounting their product, or selling them far below retail value, or finding them in the clearance aisle at Marshall's/TJ Maxx.

Giving upgrades away for a product they charge X times more than economy means they won't be able to keep it at the perceived value (even if one has Titanium Diamond status). Allowing upgrade instruments to be used gives frequent flyers a sense of value for their flying loyalty.

Do a search for this topic on any of the Big 3 carriers and you'll see this topic discussed plenty of times in the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.