Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta ATL concourse connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I agree that the groundside D to I transport is a problem. Perhaps the one thing they really missed in the '70s design was that ATL would have serious international traffic. Back then, it was just a few short haul international flights that operated out of T (the international concourse back prior to E).

Once E was built the complaint was the baggage re-check for us locals coming home. F and the new international terminal fixed that, but with the problem you mentioned.

Still, all in all the design has worked very well. I hate airports that force me to reclear security because of poor layouts.
ATL international F connecting to domestic using the shuttle to take MARTA can add 30 minutes if your timing is not right, especially on MARTA weekend 20 minutes train schedule, not to mention when the weather is not ideal and the shuttle ride quality.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
People like to complain about Atlanta, but it really is well run considering how many people and planes it moves every day. Of course, I live in NYC so with LGA and JFK (occasional Newark, which I actually don’t mind as Delta’s terminal is sort of by itself) anything looks positively wonderful.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
$36 a night for hourly covered parking steps away from the exit of F, when you also get to enjoy no security line and the F SkyClub on the way in, seems like a bargain to me for a weekend trip with carry-on's only. Also, if you live east of the airport down I-20 or along the 285 eastern perimeter, your trip to and from the airport in the car is a good 15 minutes shorter each way.

Of course, I only do that when flying internationally . Domestic passengers are not allowed to enter security at F ... so the airport management says.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Nothing open to the public at least. There used to be a separate tunnel from B to C that I used in my very first ATL connection back in 2001, but that's been closed for many years.
I thought the Porsche ride is the replacement to the tunnel now? Gate to gate service
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I agree that the groundside D to I transport is a problem. Perhaps the one thing they really missed in the '70s design was that ATL would have serious international traffic. Back then, it was just a few short haul international flights that operated out of T (the international concourse back prior to E).

Once E was built the complaint was the baggage re-check for us locals coming home. F and the new international terminal fixed that, but with the problem you mentioned.

Still, all in all the design has worked very well. I hate airports that force me to reclear security because of poor layouts.
I REALLY wish they had spent the money on an air side international to domestic train instead of these awful canopys that right now are royally screwing up traffic at ATL. All so people dont have to be in the rain for 8 seconds crossing the street (ironically when its raining nobody ever goes downstairs to get picked up/dropped off
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:32 pm

[/QUOTE] Domestic passengers are not allowed to enter security at F ... so the airport management says.[/QUOTE]

This is 1000% incorrect. Since F opened I have used it for domestic travel more than 100 times and never once been turned away. The disadvantage for anyone flying SW with checked luggage is that SW doesn’t have any check-in facilities in F.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 12, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This is 1000% incorrect. Since F opened I have used it for domestic travel more than 100 times and never once been turned away. The disadvantage for anyone flying SW with checked luggage is that SW doesn’t have any check-in facilities in F.
He was joking. He obviously is using F for domestic flights.

It is true though that when F and the International terminal opened ATL pushed a lot of info (at least to us locals) about how pax "must" use D or I based on flights.

Don't you always read the Atlanta Journal Constitution ???
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:12 pm

I much prefer the International terminal, but I seem to always find myself arriving in the gap in pre-check times (0930a-1230P or after 530p). Just unlucky I guess..
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
He was joking. He obviously is using F for domestic flights.

It is true though that when F and the International terminal opened ATL pushed a lot of info (at least to us locals) about how pax "must" use D or I based on flights.

Don't you always read the Atlanta Journal Constitution ???
Don't want to overtax the thinly-staffed security checkpoint at F which is based on expected international traffic only, so they warned us. Yet years later, the passenger traffic at F security remains thinner than the TSA staffing most of the time. Yeah, F Precheck is only open from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m typically.

Last time I parked on the 4th floor of the hourly deck and was sitting down to enjoy a beverage and a snack in the F SkyClub exactly 8 minutes later after clearing a completely empty pre-check lane. Might be the shortest "parking spot to SkyClub" experience anywhere. And to make matters even better, my flight to PDX took off from E and the return red-eye landed at F.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Those stupid canopies over the arrival/departure roads are a giant boondoggle. All that plastic/glass is going to turn smoky, stained, scratched, and generally unsightly in no time. And just so people don't get rained on? That whole project reeks of graft. The companies involved are all probably connected with people in the city government and airport administration. It's all just so that some rich people can get richer.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Those stupid canopies over the arrival/departure roads are a giant boondoggle. All that plastic/glass is going to turn smoky, stained, scratched, and generally unsightly in no time. And just so people don't get rained on? That whole project reeks of graft. The companies involved are all probably connected with people in the city government and airport administration. It's all just so that some rich people can get richer.
Graft? At ATL,,get out of here!!
My favorite one was the pay phone kickback scandal a few decades ago. I think at least one city councilman went to prison over that one. And don't get me started about Mayor Jackson's wife getting a piece of TGI Fridays at ATL using minority status.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:49 pm

Forgive the dumb question, but I can't find a clear answer. Can I get from C to F and back to C on a domestic ticket without passing through security twice?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by m907
Forgive the dumb question, but I can't find a clear answer. Can I get from C to F and back to C on a domestic ticket without passing through security twice?
Yes. All the terminals are connected post-security.
Duke787 and m907 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m907
You can walk or take the plane train. The F to E walk is pretty long but after that it’s not that bad and there are moving sidewalks most of the way
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.