Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)

Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)

Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by warakorn
Could it be that just some lazy KL agent gave you a BS story about that policy change from January 1
Nope. OP is correct - no more cash+miles DoD upgrades at AMS (on DL metal).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
Does this make KLM more likely to change passengers (if requested obviously) off of DL metal and onto KLM metal? (I'm assuming with a promise of the upgrade/spend for upgrade).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mbowden19
Does this make KLM more likely to change passengers (if requested obviously) off of DL metal and onto KLM metal? (I'm assuming with a promise of the upgrade/spend for upgrade).
Same day flight changes are not permitted without a change fee + fare difference unless there are IRROPS or schedule changes. I'm sure that KL can get away with doing free changes for some pax every now and then, but if this were a widespread practice I imagine it would be a big problem for DL. However, if there ends up being a delay or something, this could be a possibility.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
An important point, but not related to the issue at hand. This is about day of departure upgrades that are purchased that day, only at AMS, not about pax waitlisted for upgrade by DL using DL upgrade instruments.
Yes, understand what you are saying. But people complaining right here that they are waitlisted for mileage/GUC upgrades for months and not beeing cleared on DOD but instead KLM is selling these upgrades. and that is something they should complain about to Delta, not KLM. Delta could clear these upgrades at T-33 hours or so but choose not doing it. Then KLM takes over the flight and they handling it according to their rules.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Fair - the $2600 fares have D1 options for only 330K. The $3500 fares are 500K. But still, this is well under 1 cpm. Ex-ATL at least this seems to be the rule on any discounted D1 fares - your redemption rate is < 1 cpm if you try to book with SkyMiles.
Then why not use pay with miles and also earn MQMs for the trip, assuming that all segments are DL?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM
This change has been in discussion within DL for a LOOOOONG time. I am shocked it took this long to finally cut off.

KL will still offer on KL operated flights in AMS
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Still wonder if Delta knows what a mess it really was. Quit often the miles or GUC was never pulled, especially when pax did go to the gate and the upgrade process took place there.
Or after the introduction of C+ and W fares, KL agents selling upgrades to Delta One to their FB members for 10.000 miles;
El cheapo KLM 074 ticket with a V fare or so + EC seat on a Delta operated flight = W fare = Premium Economy, Fully Flexible ticket (AF-KLM)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:55 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
I've flown through AMS quite a bit but only last year as DM. There are threads with pages upon pages of what a hot mess ex-AMS seems to be.

Before I was a medallion, probably not even collecting miles, there was a period where every time I asked the gate agents for an upgrade I received one. That was before introduction of D1. I am 6'7", and look Dutch, so it could have had a part in it.

Last year I waitlisted AMS-SEA and had a hell of a time getting the upgrade to clear. The lounge was very unhelpful. Finally a gate agent upgraded me and without taking my GUC. Can't really complain there.

The possibility of getting a 200 EUR plus 35k D1 upgrade always enticed me but was never successful. I think I'd rather have Delta clean it up, to make it more consistent if possible. I'll buy D1 if reasonable, but last minute 10k USD prices are not and that's when GUC or USD upgrades are great.
By saying you look dutch, I assume you are good looking ;-)
pvn, AANYC1981, TheHorta and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:16 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Basically we have a situation that if you hold a Y, B or M ticket you can upgrade if space available until Check-in opens. After that it is not possible anymore, I really dont get it. If is a revenue issue, then they also should not allow it prior check-in.

Again, D1 cabins are typically sold out, or very close to selling out days before departure Ex-AMS ( you can check expertflyer). So in my opinion an argument of people not booking J because they can easily upgrade in AMS doesnt hold up. It is a gamble, only to be taken if you would not mind flying .

Everybody here says it is a mess at AMS, but is it not pure incompentence of DL that it is not working. AMS is probably the biggest DL hub in Europe with dozens of flights leaving and arriving every day. There are DL-employees in AMS, so structure it. give guidlines. I do not believe KL would mess up if it is clear how it works. KL-agents are generally experienced and good in what they do. Instruct, monitor and adjust. Thisis what they can do:

- up till now upgrading could take place at a Transer desk, the lounge, and check-in desk. Why not agreeing that it can only be done at a central Transfer desk. People who work there will be clearly instructed.

1.GUC clears
2. after all GUC clear and there are still seats open, mileage, or paid upgrades go according to a set schedule ( say 40-60K miles).

This way DL can optimalize both DM statisfaction and extra income or mileage burn.

Finally, what are Skymiles worth to a european customer? only buying full roundtrips with miles? Thanks but no. From now on I am actively avoiding DL metal. Probably you will say they wont miss me, thats fine. But I am probably not the only one.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hasnt this been announced once before, only to not actually be the case? I can totally see DL stopping this. Just curious if it's lazy/untrained agents. I had them at lounge tell me AF no longer did DoD upgrades late last year.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:06 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 21A

does this only open 3 hours before flight? I thought from the other threads it was anytime day of departure, but couldnt find a definitive answer.
I think in AMS its the whole day of departure. Any outpost is when check-in desk opens i think.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Hollandair
Basically we have a situation that if you hold a Y, B or M ticket you can upgrade if space available until Check-in opens. After that it is not possible anymore, I really dont get it. If is a revenue issue, then they also should not allow it prior check-in.

Again, D1 cabins are typically sold out, or very close to selling out days before departure Ex-AMS ( you can check expertflyer). So in my opinion an argument of people not booking J because they can easily upgrade in AMS doesnt hold up. It is a gamble, only to be taken if you would not mind flying .

Everybody here says it is a mess at AMS, but is it not pure incompentence of DL that it is not working. AMS is probably the biggest DL hub in Europe with dozens of flights leaving and arriving every day. There are DL-employees in AMS, so structure it. give guidlines. I do not believe KL would mess up if it is clear how it works. KL-agents are generally experienced and good in what they do. Instruct, monitor and adjust. Thisis what they can do:

- up till now upgrading could take place at a Transer desk, the lounge, and check-in desk. Why not agreeing that it can only be done at a central Transfer desk. People who work there will be clearly instructed.

1.GUC clears
2. after all GUC clear and there are still seats open, mileage, or paid upgrades go according to a set schedule ( say 40-60K miles).

This way DL can optimalize both DM statisfaction and extra income or mileage burn.

Finally, what are Skymiles worth to a european customer? only buying full roundtrips with miles? Thanks but no. From now on I am actively avoiding DL metal. Probably you will say they wont miss me, thats fine. But I am probably not the only one.

I presume that from DL's perspective, it does not make sense to have this one unique upgrade process that differs from every other station in the world. Also, DL does have a day of departure cash upgrade program that is selectively offered during online check in. Eliminating this outside process handled by another company allows DL to fully control upgrade inventory, and still, as you say "optimize both DM satisfaction and extra income or mileage burn." In fact, it probably helps them do a better job at this because they can fully manage the process, and account for things that a random agent at AMS won't.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:36 am

For flights departing from AMS you check in with KLM, even with a 006 issued ticket and a Delta marketed and operated flight. There is no day of departure cash upgrade program that is selectively offered during online check in, there is no waitlist and they don't fully manage the process as only KLM can clear that DM's GUC. A DL agent can't..

If Delta wants to optimalize both DM satisfaction and extra income or mileage burn they best cut KLM out of this process.

Last edited by Grouchy; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
For flights departing from AMS you check in with KLM, even with a 006 issued ticket and a Delta marketed and operated flight. There is no day of departure cash upgrade program that is selectively offered during online check in, there is no waitlist and they don't fully manage the process as only KLM can clear that DM's GUC. A DL agent can't..

If Delta wants to optimalize both DM satisfaction and extra income or mileage burn they best cut KLM out of this process.
You don't do online check-in with KL for DL flights, and DL has been known to offer selective cash upgrades during OLCI.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
You don't do online check-in with KL for DL flights, and DL has been known to offer selective cash upgrades during OLCI.
As soon as you press 'check-in' for DL flights from AMS you will be forwarded to KLM and OLCI over there and as such no OLCI with DL & selective cash upgrades during OLCI.
At least this was happening for the last couple of years. Did it change somewhere in the last 10 days?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.