Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Much Do You Drink While Flying? What do you have? Delta Flights only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Do You Drink While Flying? What do you have? Delta Flights only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Rarely drink while flying- The only exception is very seldom on D1, I take a Macallan neat with a splash of water.

I can’t drink and not be jet lagged/dehydrated.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a lightweight (not for lack of effort), so I usually have a Gin & Club Soda as a PDB and another in the air and that's my limit, unless the flight is at least 2 hours and then maybe a third. I always Uber from/to home and rarely drive at my destinations. I'm a fan of good sparkling wines so I really look forward to that on my D1 segments and pivot to that. I gave up drinking in the SkyClubs, unless it's a glass of the Veuve du Vernay, when they switched to the Damrak gin which I don't like.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Side question: is there a SC in Toronto that will serve a Caesar? I find them so much better than bloody Marys, though I'll have a couple in the morning if the right bartender is in ATL.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boeingATL
Last summer on a regional flight ATL/YUL I was in first and cut off after 2 bloody marys. FA said that was my limit. Had one pre-flight, one with lunch and then kaboom. I didn't feel like even discussing this as the FA felt very empowered.
Yeah I wouldn't have argued in the air either but I would have requested a redcoat upon landing and had a discussion. Unless someone is displaying signs of intoxication the flight attendant shouldn't be imposing their sense of morality on passengers.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
It depends; usually, I stick either to light beer or to Woodford and ginger ale; depends what I feel like. I used to drink bloody marys on morning flights, but they just don't taste good to me anymore.

If I am in Delta1, I will have a PDB sparkling wine and then go with the wine service, with a port after dinner.

If I get a PDB, often I will sleep to my destination and I won't be a bother to the FAs en route.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: DL DM
If I am visiting a Sky Club, I usually have 1 or 2 Jack and Cokes. It is always complimentary and I have never ventured out to purchase a more exotic beverage in the Club. Though maybe I will make a point to try one on an upcoming trip?

If in Domestic Y usually I will purchase one drink or use a Medallion Coupon if the flight is over 3 hours. Probably a G&T or Jack and Coke.

If in Domestic F it is usually 2 Bloody Mary's if during breakfast hours, or 2 G&T's or Jack and Cokes during the afternoon, or 2 Red Wines during dinner service at night. I might have an occasional PDB with alcohol, but usually get something non-alcoholic for my PDB as I don't like to be rushed to consume booze.

If in Domestic C+ I strangely seem to find myself ordering a Double Bailey's on the rocks. Not sure why it relates to that class of service, but have noticed that trend

On an International Trip in C+ this past fall, ICN-SEA, I found the crew to be very generous with the booze. Probably too generous. I ordered a Jack and coke and was given 2 minis without asking. Then, when dinner came around, the FA suggested some red wine with dinner. I obliged and was shocked to be poured 2 glasses! Needless to say I passed out pretty quickly and woke up feeling a bit dehydrated somewhere over the Pacific.

Of course the above is subject to change depending on factors like business vs personal travel, transportation arrangements etc. Also I sometimes indulge at my favorite airport bars instead of the Club or on the plane.

In ANC I always enjoy a few glasses of wine at Humpy's before boarding.
In MSP I have found Ike's to have great Cosmos.
One Flew South in ATL has served up some great cocktails too.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Usually board with Ms Future TFD

Two Woodfords upon takeoff...

Then exactly five minutes later - Two more Woodfords...

Then exactly five minutes after that - Two more Woodfords...

And again and again until one of us passes the f*** out...

Just kidding of course - Name the movie!

TFD
Psyduck1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
If I have to work or drive when I land I usually sleep. If not I never have an empty drink. FAs never have a problem with refills, I'm usually listening to some tunes and reading a book. Just smile and say another one? My record(an excessive one I don't plan to repeat) was two double woodfords and two sweet waters on a 300 mile flight. My seatmate matched me on that one, we had a fun flight. As long as you're not bothering anyone who cares?

On foreign carriers they seem to want to pour booze down my throat. Here is my yield on SA after asking for a beer.

Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Task Force DL

TFD
Mississippi Grind! Two Woodfords!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
If I have to work or drive when I land I usually sleep. If not I never have an empty drink. FAs never have a problem with refills, I'm usually listening to some tunes and reading a book. Just smile and say another one? My record(an excessive one I don't plan to repeat) was two double woodfords and two sweet waters on a 300 mile flight. My seatmate matched me on that one, we had a fun flight. As long as you're not bothering anyone who cares?

On foreign carriers they seem to want to pour booze down my throat. Here is my yield on SA after asking for a beer.

Nice koozie!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Wimsta
[Moderators: If copying from the [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1950164-how-much-alcohol-do-you-drink-business-first.html]BA thread counts as cross posting (I'm still not sure I get that?) please close, or move, this thread as necessary.]

Drinking while on Delta

I'm sure there are many variables, but I find this very curious.

I've had a couple of anomalies: once a flight attendant cut me off "you've had like 13" (I'd had 2). Another the 60 something nurse next to me lectured me on the negatives of drinking while flying...

My standard ATL-LAX flight experience:

2 drinks and snack in lounge for each hour I'm early pre flight

(Usually I'm C+) 2 doubles of Bourbon and Ginger Ale (Woodford) (a third can be possible, but you have to go ask for it, only two drink services per flight).

With a friend flying GEG-ATL back from a conference a couple years ago we tried to push it, still only managed 3 doubles in C+.

My experience is that you're never going to get more than 2 drinks on anything shorter.

I rarely deviate from Woodford and Ginger unless they are out. That is what I have at home most of the time now too.
On UA a multi million miler introduced me to Jack and Coke Zero a few years ago on the ATL-SFO flight, but that was in FC and we were both flying home for the holidays... that was a fun flight...

Anyway, my experience is that it is pretty much clockwork, especially in DL, but I'm curious what good times everyone else is having.

Business drunk. It's like rich drunk. Either way it's legal to drive.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads

Business drunk. It's like rich drunk. Either way it's legal to drive.
Today I'm doing what I call "sport drinking," and I really don't care if people judge me. I'm celebrating my birthday (41).

SC: Mimosa while they waited for liquor cabinet keys. Followed by spicy bloody mary and 2 double jack and gingers.
I've cleared to D1: PBD will be a margarita, and I'll sample the Macallan all flight.

I'll shower in LAX and wait for my bus to Bakersfield. (Yes, I choose DL and bus over UA into my old hometown).

I've never had the double casked, I'm looking forward to assembling some tasting notes.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I second this so much. I used to think that you had to drink as much as possible to "get your money's worth", but (particularly on redeye flights) I've curbed way back or stopped drinking entirely in order to promote better sleep, ward off jet lag, etc.

Also, technically a lot of what's been posted here qualifies as "binge drinking" as defined by the CDC. I would, however, refrain from categorically deciding that everyone who binge drinks is an alcoholic.
i agree that someone binge drinking is not a alcoholic however if some are drinking the amounts of alcohol they state and can still function well enough to get on and off the aircraft without appearing intoxicated they have built up a large tolerance to alcohol that comes from long term sustained drinking.
stormlover likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Grey Goose is a marketing exercise. Everything about it was contrived to make it a “premium” product. Though, to be fair, all the premium vodkas are similarly guilty of style over substance. But what do you expect from a product that, by law, must be odorless, colorless, and tasteless?
Right. If I recall correctly it was the brainchild of some investors...they did market research and determined that French products command the highest premium. So they located it in France, a country with no vodka-distilling tradition...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Task Force DL

TFD
Back to School

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.