Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

5 J seats available LAX-ATL, only 4 showing open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

So... should I pay the $700 upgrade and assume I'll sit next to someone famous? 😂

Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
As famous as Federal Air Marshal =)

Last edited by olegator; Jan 10, 2019 at 3:26 am Reason: Usual mental disorders
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not sure what the question is. Are you assuming 1st has mostly famous people?
Or are you asking about why it shows 5 tickets available, but only 4 seats showing open? (that could be because of a blocked seat, or DL getting very aggressive with overselling)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
While I realize the famous person part of the post is tounge-in-cheek, chances are what is happening here is what I've heard from the agents before as a "hung" seat. Meaning, somewhere along the way someone had purchased, been upgraded, seat-change, etc and the computer still sees it as being occupied even though it isn't. So it got "hung" up on the seat map side, but not the reservation side. Happens quite frequently in just my personal experience.

That being said, is around 3 hours and 50 minutes roughly of travel worth $1700 to find that famous person?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
...That being said, is around 3 hours and 50 minutes roughly of travel worth $1700 to find that famous person?
Apparently there are a fair number of folks that will pay it, with or without the chance of meeting somebody that is "famous". LOL!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Since it's refundable, I would book it and demand my money back if I don't sit next to someone famous. Well, maybe on a sliding scale:

I want half back if it's not even a B-lister, and three quarters if they are famous only in their field, like the glue king of Sacramento or a starting athlete in a sport I don't follow, like badminton. Hmm, and if they were nominated without winning a Golden Globe last week, I want 25% back.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Chances are what is happening here is what I've heard from the agents before as a "hung" seat. Meaning, somewhere along the way someone had purchased, been upgraded, seat-change, etc and the computer still sees it as being occupied even though it isn't.
Agreed, for example I recently had a J return ticket MEL-ATL-MEL, DL flight was a VA codeshare. I changed my return date on my VA issued ticket. My DL reservation then showed my new return and my old return. My new return was earlier, but even after I got home, I was ghosting on that second ATL-LAX flight right up until check-in. I could still change my seat, etc. Just for fun I tried to check-in (because the app prompted me to), but it said my reservation had no e-ticket associated with it.

So sometimes reservations and seat assignments are in the system but not valid.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
That being said, is around 3 hours and 50 minutes roughly of travel worth $1700 to find that famous person?
At those busy airports, you should probably figure 4.5-5 hours total time on the airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.