Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We can take any open seat we want to when commuting for work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We can take any open seat we want to when commuting for work

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:24 pm

Although it is great to have an open seat next to me, I have zero issue if they fill an open seat next to me with an airline employee. In fact, I much prefer it over a regular pax, and at times having someone to sit next to is quite enjoyable. Airline employees will be well behaved, interesting to talk to (and always seemingly willing to engage in conversation) and usually pass on some good opinions, information and tips. Often you also get much better service from FAs when you are seated next to an employee. As long as they don't take my upgrade, all is good.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Yes, that's a huge annoyance. The passing-through-10,000ft "ding" followed by the PA "We've been cleared to land at....".

Nope, we haven't been cleared to land from 10,000ft. The pilots aren't even talking to Tower at that point. They're still being handled by TRACON, and likely are just starting to set up for an approach.
At 10.000 feet, in a lot of places it will still be center.

And flying in Alaska, I've been cleared for the approach and landing hundreds of miles away from the final approach fix, without RADAR coverage. Single pilot night IMC all on your own makes you develop a lot of trust in machinery and technology (and sharpens situational awareness a great deal, too).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by telloh
The other night I checked in to my room at an Intercontinental and the front desk told me both rooms next to mine were empty. Well later that night I heard a noise next door, so of course I knocked on the door and commented I thought I'd lucked out and had an empty room next to me. Nothing rude and in a light hearted golly gee woe is me manner. The guy then made the comment that he can stay in whatever room he wants and sorry about my luck. I didn't engage further.

Best I can tell other people checked in to rooms not next to mine, but this guy was next to me.

Also he left his room about 8 minutes after check-out time the next morning. I was watching. Guess some rules don't apply.

I also want to point out that I'm not mad and an awesome IHG Spire member.

That is all.
Epic.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by steveholt
W27AB27A?
Someone help me out here. I’m bad with inside jokes when I’m not on the inside.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Someone help me out here. I’m bad with inside jokes when I’m not on the inside.
W27AB27A = want 27A, buy 27A. Probably offered in homage to bubba's favorite phrase WFBF = want first (FC), buy F (FC).
cmh flyer, strickerj and TheHorta like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
At 10.000 feet, in a lot of places it will still be center.

And flying in Alaska, I've been cleared for the approach and landing hundreds of miles away from the final approach fix, without RADAR coverage. Single pilot night IMC all on your own makes you develop a lot of trust in machinery and technology (and sharpens situational awareness a great deal, too).
True, but in CONUS flying into LGA, SFO, ATL, etc...landing clearance won't be handed out by Center or TRACON 50 miles out with 15 other aircraft in sequence. It'll happen when you're perhaps #3 or #4 to land.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by telloh
Well later that night I heard a noise next door, so of course I knocked on the door and commented I thought I'd lucked out and had an empty room next to me.
are you serious?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pvn
are you serious?
Of course he's serious, and don't call him Shirley.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
W27AB27A = want 27A, buy 27A. Probably offered in homage to bubba's favorite phrase WFBF = want first (FC), buy F (FC).
Not prohably, that IS the source code for every want XXX buy XXX phrase.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't believe I didn't pick up on that. Doh!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Dang, this thread was a troll magnet.

In my non-rev days, the only time I ever boarded without a seat assignment was when they were down to the last seat, and the people ahead of me on the list were a mother and child. Being only one seat left, they declined and I got it.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Originally Posted by estedman
I am sorry I wasted 5 min reading this nonsense.
I am most upset that the OP promised images, but we didn't get any to go with our popcorn.
"See below for full story. Not mad but a first from a non rev. FA in uniform just told me on a flight where the seat map and upgrade list didn’t show the seat taken (images to follow)."
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I kinda figured having a good looking man in a uniform sitting next to me was an unpublished benefit. But that's probably just me.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I will take a DL crew member in uniform sitting next me every time, and forego ever having an empty seat, over a 50/50 chance of an empty seat or a random standby passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.