Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Way to "Miss" or "Cancel" a Basic Economy Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to "Miss" or "Cancel" a Basic Economy Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:47 am

I have personally been called by DL as a courtesy when I was accidentally double booked. They asked me which flight I wanted to keep as I couldn’t keep both.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:26 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
[left]Your concern should be having 2 flights booked around the same time. If the other flight is non DL then you will be ok but if both flights are with DL they could cancel one or both of them.
this is theoretically possible but I don't think this has actually happened to anyone (flying DL at least). would not worry about this at all.

if you had two tickets for the same flight, that would be a different matter.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
I’ve been in a situation similar to this.

Had a schedule change at work which resulted in having to change my flight to later in the day. It was cheaper to no show then to pay the change fee on the flight.

no issues. Skipped the morning flight and took the later one
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
At some point if one habitually no-shows on returns, Delta might take action. But infrequent occurrences are very low risk. As was suggested upthread, once you've flown the outbound Basic flight, you could cancel the return online. If you don't, the GA will have no problem assigning a standby to your space on the plane. A certain amount of no-shows is part of the overbooking formula the airlines seek to optimize. Standby lists are often long when I look on the app around boarding time (though I gather much of that is really just other BE passengers waiting for seat assignments, others are true standbys).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RaflW
At some point if one habitually no-shows on returns, Delta might take action. But infrequent occurrences are very low risk. As was suggested upthread, once you've flown the outbound Basic flight, you could cancel the return online. If you don't, the GA will have no problem assigning a standby to your space on the plane. A certain amount of no-shows is part of the overbooking formula the airlines seek to optimize. Standby lists are often long when I look on the app around boarding time (though I gather much of that is really just other BE passengers waiting for seat assignments, others are true standbys).
If you just don't check in for the flight, by T-30, the GA will know you won't be on the flight and can give away your seat when he/she starts to clears standbys and assign seats to those without seat assignments.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
FYI change of air carrier from mainline to regional or vice versa or from one regional to another gives you a right to a refund.
Really? That's interesting. Does it give you the right to rebook to another flight that is mainline?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Welcome to Flyertalk. Best advice is just to no-show. If you call to cancel, you are then subject to repricing as a one way ticket which could be very expensive.

Side note - all that other stuff about business, a totally different flight, etc really has nothing to do with the question or any answers.
thanks, editor in chief.

Often OP’s lack sufficient detail to properly make an informed response. This was a good example where seemingly superfluous info did provide context to those who responded.

But hey no stress right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.