Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Way to "Miss" or "Cancel" a Basic Economy Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

HI all, my apologies if this is not the best place to post this. I had booked a Basic Economy fare for a quick weekend trip for personal reasons. I just learned that I will need to fly across the country on the same day I had planned my return flight. Since my return flight is in the late afternoon, there is not enough time to fly across the country that same day. My question relates to what to do about my return leg of my Basic Economy fare. I know changing or cancelling is not an option, so should I just not show up for the flight? Is there a better option? I don't want to leave the gate crew hanging, but I also don't want to incur any additional fees. Appreciate any help you can provide!

Last edited by cvscml; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:26 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM etc
Just don't check in. No gate agent is losing sleep over no-shows.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
The best way to get that money back is to hope for a schedule change (1 hour or greater change in departure / arrival time) or a delay on the day of that would allow you to get a refund.

If you booked the flight long enough ago, it is plausible that a schedule change had already occurred - check your initial booking email itinerary against what the Delta site currently lists for your flight.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Or hope Delta issues a Weather Waiver for your arrival or departure city. I had a BE ticket booked for last fall that I couldn't fly because of Hurricane Florence. DL had posted a Weather Waiver for it. They allowed me to keep the credit and apply it to a new ticket later on for any city.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Welcome to Flyertalk. Best advice is just to no-show. If you call to cancel, you are then subject to repricing as a one way ticket which could be very expensive.

Side note - all that other stuff about business, a totally different flight, etc really has nothing to do with the question or any answers.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:21 am

Your concern should be having 2 flights booked around the same time. If the other flight is non DL then you will be ok but if both flights are with DL they could cancel one or both of them. In that case I would call DL now and drop/cancel your BE ticket if there has been no schedule change or change of air carrier to date. Or ask work to book the new flight with a non DL carrier.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I had thought about the flight change but unfortunately it was less than an hour change. Will keep an eye out for weather advisory, but unlikely. I appreciate your help!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice on the no-show. My intent was not to offend you with the details I provided, but rather to provide context so it was easily understood by everyone. Based on some of the other comments, those details were helpful to others.
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Just cancel your trip through Delta.com.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Your concern should be having 2 flights booked around the same time. If the other flight is non DL then you will be ok but if both flights are with DL they could cancel one or both of them.
I don't think there's any evidence that Delta actually does this, even though other airlines do. I've had overlapping reservations on Delta with no problems.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:45 am

FYI change of air carrier from mainline to regional or vice versa or from one regional to another gives you a right to a refund.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Welcome to Flyertalk. Best advice is just to no-show. If you call to cancel, you are then subject to repricing as a one way ticket which could be very expensive.
I have never heard of this happening to anyone. I've cancelled tons of return legs with zero problems even when in theory the one-way fare would have been more. Besides, Delta doesn't allow Basic Economy fares to be changed, so how would they argue that you're responsible for paying for one? Most domestic round-trips are really just two one-ways anyway.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Your concern should be having 2 flights booked around the same time. If the other flight is non DL then you will be ok but if both flights are with DL they could cancel one or both of them. In that case I would call DL now and drop/cancel your BE ticket if there has been no schedule change or change of air carrier to date. Or ask work to book the new flight with a non DL carrier.
Reading the DL Contract of Carriage:

"Delta prohibits duplicate, impossible, or fictitious bookings, including but not limited to multiple conflicting itineraries for the same passenger on the same day or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight. Delta reserves the right to cancel any such booking which has not been ticketed, and to cancel and refund any such booking which is ticketed at a refundable fare."

I assume that per usual practice for domestic flights both of OPs flights are "ticketed". Reading the above Delta has reserved the right to 1) cancel bookings which have not been ticketed or 2) cancel and refund ticketed bookings at a refundable fare. Unless I'm reading it wrong, I do not read here that Delta reserves the right to cancel ticketed nonrefundable fare bookings (which would include the BE fare and also likely OPs other booking).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would interpret this as saying that DL will cancel conflicting ticketed itineraries and refund ONLY those which were refundable fares. [If a ticket is changeable for a fee, it's not clear that the customer would get the credit for fare minus change fee, but I would expect that calling would work for this.]
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by jordyn
I don't think there's any evidence that Delta actually does this, even though other airlines do. I've had overlapping reservations on Delta with no problems.
Same with B6. In fact I called them one time to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.