Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sun Country Adds MSP Routes to Compete with DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

"Sun County Airlines unveiled a major expansion of its route and service system Tuesday, including new flights out of the Twin Cities to four East Coast cities as well as to Chicago, Sacramento, Calif., St. Louis and San Antonio.

The total expansion will add 19 new seasonal routes, including eight new nonstops from the Twin Cities, Sun Country CEO Jude Bricker said.

That includes service from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to Chicago O'Hare International Airport with one-way fares starting as low as $49, and flights into Newark Liberty International Airport, outside of New York City, with a one-way flight as low as $99."

​​​
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
So, everybody's going to wait for Delta to match prices, nobody flies Sun Country, and these new routes and price competition go away?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So, everybody's going to wait for Delta to match prices, nobody flies Sun Country, and these new routes and price competition go away?
You nailed it.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hasn't Sun Country re-branded as an ULCC like Spirit?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Sun Country is no longer really considered competition for Delta. Two completely different airline styles. Two different types of clientele.
mnflyer58 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
SY has removed (or is removing) the small F cabin, and going to a la carte pricing. I assume further densification, too.
Even so, I'd have considered them to get to SMF in May, but they start service the week after my meeting in Reno.
DL to Reno is in the $550-700 range for my dates (incl Sat night stay), with zero nonstops from MSP. Yes I would drive from SMF to save money and skip connecting. The drive up (nearlly) past lake Tahoe is lovely.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

I used to fly SunCountry almost exclusively. Now, I would not choose them even if they were free. Horrible service. They should be known as "Spirit-Less Country." And, they lose baggage like it's going out of style. And, you get to leave and arrive at MSP at decidedly inconvenient hours. Never again. If I were Delta, I would not worry about them in the least. Besides, when you start throwing in everything they charge you for (and the amount), they really are not "cheaper" than Delta anyway most of the time.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:12 pm

this was the sentiment when Allegiant arrived at CVG. These airlines target a different market segment and have shown to produce new passenger growth and yes, force the incumbents to offer product parity as to avoid the siphoning of customers. Allegiant has grown by double digits as its focus is in customers who otherwise wouldn’t fly. Very similar thinking that was the basis of Southwest when it was started.

I would imagine that few commercial / corporate customers use these flights. I confess to using them occasionally when a particular nonstop flight to a off the path destination best suits my schedule.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I just hope Delta matches MSP-PVD service.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Wouldn’t have tried doing this to Northwest....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.