Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta plans to be down to 3 regional carriers (9E, YX and OO)

Old Jan 8, 19, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

In the next 12-24 months, GoJet and Compass will disappear from doing Delta flying, Ed Bastian said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8x65QfE0c&feature=youtu.be

He points out there used to be 10 Delta Connection carriers, and now it will be just three. He also confirmed what I hadn't seen widely reported, but DL now owns a piece of YX, from the bankruptcy. So, wholly owned 9E, partially owned YX and OO.

I wonder where those CP E-175s will go.
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, AC; Avis PP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
In the next 12-24 months, GoJet and Compass will disappear from doing Delta flying, Ed Bastian said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8x...ature=youtu.be

He points out there used to be 10 Delta Connection carriers, and now it will be just three. He also confirmed what I hadn't seen widely reported, but DL now owns a piece of YX, from the bankruptcy. So, wholly owned 9E, partially owned YX and OO.

I wonder where those CP E-175s will go.
Good riddance to GoJet, but surprised to hear Compass is on the way out too. I wonder how much of the LAX/SEA E175 routes are getting replaced by A220s in the coming months...
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I really doubt that DL will be dropping (net) any 2-class RJs, be they E70/E75/CR7/CR9. They'll get shifted to the retained operators. 220s may replace CR9s, but CR7/CR9s are going to replace CR2s.
Old Jan 8, 19, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I really doubt that DL will be dropping (net) any 2-class RJs, be they E70/E75/CR7/CR9. They'll get shifted to the retained operators. 220s may replace CR9s, but CR7/CR9s are going to replace CR2s.
Agree completely. Delta already owns the E175s/E170s CP flies for it. They'll just move. There's a rumor among CP pilots that CP will be sold to RP. Maybe that's why Ed didn't mention CP by name in the video.
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by captaink View Post
Good riddance to GoJet, but surprised to hear Compass is on the way out too. I wonder how much of the LAX/SEA E175 routes are getting replaced by A220s in the coming months...
Took a look at DLís domestic schedule at SEA this upcoming summer. Quite an increase in overall capacity with upgauging to mainline, especially on SEA-PDX/DEN/SFO/SAN/PHX/SJC.
manacit likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:51 am

Wouldn't be surprised to see OO take on the E170/E175 and transfer CR7/9 that they may use for Delta to 9E. That way Delta can standardize E170/E175 out of SLC/MSP, CR7/CR9 out of DTW, NYC, ATL, CVG, BOS with some overlap so E170/E175 can be used on more business heavy routes that do not justify mainline and some airports out west only CR7 is certified to fly into. Excess E170/E175 that OO does not need can go to YX.
Old Jan 8, 19, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'm assuming the E175's Compass operates and the CRJ-700's/900's GoJet operates are owned by Delta?
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:45 pm

If anyone is wondering 9E=Endeavor, YX=Republic, and OO=SkyWest.
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wish DL would keep Compass and drop SkyWest. Those OO aircraft seem to be so beat up, worn, and dirty IME, including one that had its FC lavatory apparently closed due to a malfunction as the sign on the door looked so permanent.

Whenever I hear the name Republic, I'm reminded of UA's Dr. Dao incident.
BenA likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I wish DL would keep Compass and drop SkyWest. Those OO aircraft seem to be so beat up, worn, and dirty IME, including one that had its FC lavatory apparently closed due to a malfunction as the sign on the door looked so permanent.
Theoretically, SkyWest has a bunch of new MRJs coming next year.

Also, I think they still operate differently than the others in that some of their flights are shared revenue and shared risk flights which puts some of the responsibility on SkyWest to make them work which I assume Delta likes.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Wonder what that'll mean for RDU -- it's a GoJet crew base though I've noticed a decent amount of regional flying has shifted to 9E and YX as routes have upgauged to CR9 and E170/175
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
75 A220s in and ~75 CR2s out was always going to mean some disruption for Delta Connection carriers.
Old Jan 8, 19, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
I'm assuming the E175's Compass operates and the CRJ-700's/900's GoJet operates are owned by Delta?
yes but expect the CR7s to be replaced with either E75s (hopefully) or CR9s with 70 seats.
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Theoretically, SkyWest has a bunch of new MRJs coming next year.

Also, I think they still operate differently than the others in that some of their flights are shared revenue and shared risk flights which puts some of the responsibility on SkyWest to make them work which I assume Delta likes.
can't operate for Delta, MTOW is going to be too high on them. Same issue as the EMB-175E2
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Wonder what that'll mean for RDU -- it's a GoJet crew base though I've noticed a decent amount of regional flying has shifted to 9E and YX as routes have upgauged to CR9 and E170/175
nothing. That flying will just be replaced by 9E/RP/OO

Originally Posted by nystateofmind View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see OO take on the E170/E175 and transfer CR7/9 that they may use for Delta to 9E. That way Delta can standardize E170/E175 out of SLC/MSP, CR7/CR9 out of DTW, NYC, ATL, CVG, BOS with some overlap so E170/E175 can be used on more business heavy routes that do not justify mainline and some airports out west only CR7 is certified to fly into. Excess E170/E175 that OO does not need can go to YX.
I'd bet 9E gets the 7 CR9s but IIRC the CR7s are quite old and I'd be willing to be end up replaced by more E75SCs.
Old Jan 8, 19, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Whenever I hear the name Republic, I'm reminded of UA's Dr. Dao incident.
OO has a sizeable fleet of brand-spankin' new 175s that have perfectly cromulent cabins. I think they make up close to half of their 2-cabin jets flying for DL. Flew on one delivered in late October just last week from JFK-BOS in fact. CP's 175 fleet otoh, has seemed awfully long in the tooth IMO when I have flown them recently.

OO is also taking delivery of new CR9s for DL through 2020.
Old Jan 8, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I'm surprised to not see CP. They seem to do almost all the regional flying out of my home airport (SJC) to LAX, SEA, LAS, and some SLC. Everything else is mainline.

OTOH, CP's E175s are in pretty rough shape despite not being that old. It's not fun to have a tray table balanced on your crotch.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: