Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta plans to be down to 3 regional carriers (9E, YX and OO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta plans to be down to 3 regional carriers (9E, YX and OO)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
They can't force anything on the mostly union work force.
AFIK only the pilots ans FA's are unionized. There's a tremendous shortage of pilots and a strong union (ALPA). The FA's have AFA which gets very negative reviews from it's members. FA's are fairly easy to replace so they don't have much power.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
AFIK only the pilots ans FA's are unionized. There's a tremendous shortage of pilots and a strong union (ALPA). The FA's have AFA which gets very negative reviews from it's members. FA's are fairly easy to replace so they don't have much power.
really this is all the matters.

but lets say Delta goes to 9E only, then those 9E pilots know if Delta comes to them needing concession they have a huge leg up because Delta doesn't have any RJ operators that can easily replace 9E's flying. With 3-4 RJ carriers, Delta can still whipsaw costs as needed. Just one makes it challenging at best.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Last I checked, DL FAs are still not unionized. The AFA has made several attempts to unionize DL's FAs post-merger (the exNW ones were deunionized) but have not yet succeeded.

Last edited by ab2013; Jan 13, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has already dropped 75 destinations since 2009 even as it grew out of LAX and SEA. DL/AA/UA all have more than 300 destinations..
3C, going off topic would be very interested to know what these 75 destinations are. Curious minds..
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
really this is all the matters.

but lets say Delta goes to 9E only, then those 9E pilots know if Delta comes to them needing concession they have a huge leg up because Delta doesn't have any RJ operators that can easily replace 9E's flying. With 3-4 RJ carriers, Delta can still whipsaw costs as needed. Just one makes it challenging at best.
The pilots are in a great position because of the industry shortage.

I don't think that DL will go to single regional but they may do additional acquisitions and mergers as they did with Pinnacle, Mesaba and Colgan to create Endeavor.

Originally Posted by ab2013
Last I checked, DL FAs are still not unionized. The AFA has made several attempts to unionize DL's FAs post-merger (the exNW ones were deunionized) but have not yet succeeded.
Dl's FA'a are not, 9E's are. Endeavor Air AFA ? Stronger Together, Better Together!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:30 pm

I don't think that DL will go to single regional but they may do additional acquisitions and mergers as they did with Pinnacle, Mesaba and Colgan to create Endeavor.

Dl's FA'a are not, 9E's are. Endeavor Air AFA ? Stronger Together, Better Together!
today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but its a cyclical industry and they certainly wont keep this position forever.

Delta didn't do Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan, Delta sold Mesaba to Pinnacle who then merged with Mesaba and shut down Colgan. Delta only ended up with Pinnacle because they went into bankruptcy and needed DIP financing. aka Delta bought Endeavor for cents on the dollar.

more importantly, Republic is now owned by Delta, United and American so very little chance they end up owned by Delta. Skywest would cost to much and would likely start a bidding war with at least United because of how much flying OO does for them as well.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but its a cyclical industry and they certainly wont keep this position forever.

Delta didn't do Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan, Delta sold Mesaba to Pinnacle who then merged with Mesaba and shut down Colgan. Delta only ended up with Pinnacle because they went into bankruptcy and needed DIP financing. aka Delta bought Endeavor for cents on the dollar.

more importantly, Republic is now owned by Delta, United and American so very little chance they end up owned by Delta. Skywest would cost to much and would likely start a bidding war with at least United because of how much flying OO does for them as well.
DL's mainline FAs have traditionally been great (minus the occasional grumpy exNW FA when I still flew out of DTW post-merger) but the past year or so, DL FAs have been consistently a bit off. Not sure if it reflects a change in how management is treating them, which would make it easier for the AFA to win the next time around if the FAs are indeed becoming unhappy with management.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by navi_jen
3C, going off topic would be very interested to know what these 75 destinations are. Curious minds..
I got the number of 75 reductions from press release boilerplate of the form 'We serve 3xx destinations' in 2009, and a late-2018 article. I did not compare route maps and build a list of additions and deletions. That's too much eye strain for me!
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does GoJet still have a base at RDU and GSO? If so, how active are they (or are they next to be closed with all that is happening)?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that G7 no longer does any flying for DL.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does GoJet still have a base at RDU and GSO? If so, how active are they (or are they next to be closed with all that is happening)?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoJet_Airlines: Greensboro yes, RDU no.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that G7 no longer does any flying for DL.
That's too bad. I flew them last year from DTW to CVG and found the crew to be excellent for a regional.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:06 pm

Funny reading comments from earlier this year
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Funny reading comments from earlier this year
Not sure I would call it funny. Bunch of pilots out of work or soon to be out of work. Nothing funny about that.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
That's too bad. I flew them last year from DTW to CVG and found the crew to be excellent for a regional.
Their crews were great but their operation and maintenance of planes were pitiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.