Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta plans to be down to 3 regional carriers (9E, YX and OO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta plans to be down to 3 regional carriers (9E, YX and OO)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
yes.

but kept the planes. They also sold Mesaba that ended up merging with 9E
I was on a Mesaba aircraft which was then operated by Cityjet (an AVRO 85) on a CDG-DUB route.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:29 pm

Compass stinks.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Does anyone remember Rio Airways? They flew propeller airplanes as the Delta Connection from DFW to nearby smaller markets (such as Wichita Falls). I guess they are not coming back to service the new DL hub at AUS.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
FWIW Skywest has the option to move and or cancel both the MRJ and EMBE2s if scope relief isn't given at the mainline level.

No way Delta ends up just down to 9E. Cant whipsaw with just one operator.

Are you guys sure you are on OO's E75s not CP's?

CP's are trashed and in bad need of a cabin overhaul. OO's are brand new and great.
They own 100% of 9E. If they end up with just one regional, not likely from support and base requirements, they make whatever decisions they want to.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Honestly, I don't see a lot of difference in them any longer as they all do a good job IMO.

My interest is in seeing the 50 seaters leave, so how does this affect that?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

My interest is in seeing the 50 seaters leave, so how does this affect that?
The annual report due out in about five weeks will detail Delta Connection operators by type and count as of 12/31/18. The CR2 goal is about 50 in 2023. Let's see who is operating CR2s today and how they (operators and CRs) might be excised from the fleet.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K//DL Plat//Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by William1865
If anyone is wondering 9E=Endeavor, YX=Republic, and OO=SkyWest.
Thank you so much. I come from a military background and I've never seen so many damn acronyms in my life - that's saying something! Half of some posts---I have no idea what someone is saying. I find it easier and much more readable to just type it all out. And I'm used to acronym soup.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The annual report due out in about five weeks will detail Delta Connection operators by type and count as of 12/31/18. The CR2 goal is about 50 in 2023. Let's see who is operating CR2s today and how they (operators and CRs) might be excised from the fleet.
According to a combination of my own tracking and Wikipedia, 9E has 42 active CR2s and OO has 87 active CR2s for DL. OO also has 12 CR2s painted in their own livery they can use for DL or any other carrier when necessary. YX, CP, and G7 operate no CR2s, whether for DL or anyone else. So the total should be 129 CR2s.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
They own 100% of 9E. If they end up with just one regional, not likely from support and base requirements, they make whatever decisions they want to.
They also owned 100% of Comair and they went on strike which crippled the CVG hub for a while. The lesson that DL learned from that was to not have a single connection carrier at any hub.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
In the next 12-24 months, GoJet and Compass will disappear from doing Delta flying, Ed Bastian said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8x...ature=youtu.be

He points out there used to be 10 Delta Connection carriers, and now it will be just three. He also confirmed what I hadn't seen widely reported, but DL now owns a piece of YX, from the bankruptcy. So, wholly owned 9E, partially owned YX and OO.

I wonder where those CP E-175s will go.
Video link is broken fyi.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Video link is broken fyi.
I suspect Delta must have gotten it yanked. Or whoever posted it got cold feet from all the attention. I know the video generated lots of attention at Trans states, (Compass/GoJet parent company) and even sparked a question on a recent call the company leaders had.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

I suspect Delta must have gotten it yanked. Or whoever posted it got cold feet from all the attention. I know the video generated lots of attention at Trans states, (Compass/GoJet parent company) and even sparked a question on a recent call the company leaders had.
Interesting! Thanks for the post as well as follow-up.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ND76
I was on a Mesaba aircraft which was then operated by Cityjet (an AVRO 85) on a CDG-DUB route.
Those were all long gone by the time of the merger. When NW and DL merged, Mesaba was operating CRJ 900/200 and Saab props.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by davelikestofly
Thank you so much. I come from a military background and I've never seen so many damn acronyms in my life - that's saying something! Half of some posts---I have no idea what someone is saying. I find it easier and much more readable to just type it all out. And I'm used to acronym soup.
FWIW the two letter codes at IATA airline codes and three letter codes (ie DAL, UAL, AAL etc) are ICAO codes.

That is why airlines like jetBlue at B6 not JB. AirTran was FL not AT, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
They can't force anything on the mostly union work force.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by james318
I love you.

In unrelated news to my declaration of love, I am sad to see Compass go. That is one of the last vestiges of NW that remained.

Compass also has an even more interesting pedigree than the NW connection: to save money starting them up, Northwest bought the operating certificate of the freshly-defunct Independence Airlines... which was originally Atlantic Coast Airlines, which provided regional service for Delta beginning in 1999. (Of course, modern-day CP shares no operational DNA with FlyI/ACA - it was just a paperwork move.)

I, for one, have always enjoyed flying CP - my perception was that they were better than other regionals because they were purpose-built by Northwest/Delta to actually offer reliable operations and good customer service. It's a cruel twist of fate that they ended up sold off because they actually had value, and then the dumpster fire that was Pinnacle is now under the Delta corporate umbrella as Endeavor because it would otherwise have collapsed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.