Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQMs Earned On a Delta-Ticketed Flight with DL and Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN

I'm new to Delta flying and MQMs and will be booking a RT PDX-LHR this spring. My connection choices are either all DL (MSP, JFK0 or DL on the first leg and then a partner either KLM or Virgin Atlantic e.g. DL PDX-SEA + VA SEA-LHR. I'm trying to figure out if I will earn the same MQMs if I book the flight with a DL partner connection or not?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Going to Europe, both KL and VS and AF are all tier 1 partners so you’ll earn the same MQM as the miles you fly. You may want to optimize routing to fly the most miles to get the most MQM as a result
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Welcome

Originally Posted by photogflyer98
I'm new to Delta flying and MQMs and will be booking a RT PDX-LHR this spring. My connection choices are either all DL (MSP, JFK0 or DL on the first leg and then a partner either KLM or Virgin Atlantic e.g. DL PDX-SEA + VA SEA-LHR. I'm trying to figure out if I will earn the same MQMs if I book the flight with a DL partner connection or not?
And welcome to FT
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN
Thank you!

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Going to Europe, both KL and VS and AF are all tier 1 partners so you’ll earn the same MQM as the miles you fly. You may want to optimize routing to fly the most miles to get the most MQM as a result
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
MQD is what will really vary based on who the flight is marketed as. Ticketing airline doesn't matter, only the marketing code of the flight booked. A VS coded DL flight earns as a VS flight. This means MQD are a percent of distance flown based on fare class. Thus can earns hundreds or thousands more MQD on partner coded than what actually pay.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by photogflyer98
Isn't PDX-CDG-LHR also an option using DL/AF?

IIRC there can be minor differences due to some partner flight segments not getting a minimum of 500 MQMs as all DL flights do, so check the rules carefully if any of your potential itineraries include some very short segments.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
MQD from SkyTeam Partners

I have tried doing some reading here and online but am still confused.

How does MQD work for flying on Air France/KLM/Virgin Atlantic/etc.? For example if I buy a business seat on Air France for $2,500 how does that convert to MQD? I have read conflicting stuff where its a calculation of your miles and some that say its just the purchase price.

Help please?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See post #5 for MQD remarks.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris

How does MQD work for flying on Air France/KLM/Virgin Atlantic/etc.? For example if I buy a business seat on Air France for $2,500 how does that convert to MQD? I have read conflicting stuff where its a calculation of your miles and some that say its just the purchase price.

Help please?
DL has no idea how much you paid a different airline for your ticket. As such, the only objective way to award you MQDs is based on distance flown as opposed to dollars spent.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*

Help please?
Even within business class the percentage varies depending on fare class booked. Details for each partner airline can be found at:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Even within business class the percentage varies depending on fare class booked. Details for each partner airline can be found at:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
thats the answer I needed, thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended

So if let’s say the round trip flight was 10,000 miles on AF how much MQD would I get? (Flying business)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So if let’s say the round trip flight was 10,000 miles on AF how much MQD would I get? (Flying business)
It depends on the fare class.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on the fare class.
So is my math correct here?

Let's say I purchase a Business seat on AF (C,D,I,Z, or J fare class) which says 40% MQD.

Assuming an ATL-CDG-ATL is 8,758 base miles (no bonus miles for medallion or fare class) that means the MQD would convert to $3,503? (or do you get credit towards MQD for the bonus miles booking in business?)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
So is my math correct here?

Let's say I purchase a Business seat on AF (C,D,I,Z, or J fare class) which says 40% MQD.

Assuming an ATL-CDG-ATL is 8,758 base miles (no bonus miles for medallion or fare class) that means the MQD would convert to $3,503?
Yep, you've got it! And as you said, the bonuses do not apply for distance-based MQD calculation, only the RDM calculation.
vincentharris and Duke787 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.