Open-Jaw

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of the above
Open-Jaw

I am able to book open-jaw BOS-OPO/FAO-BOS with money, but when I substitute miles ,I get an error stating Delta or Partners do not fly those routes. I can do 2 one ways, but 305,000 miles seems a bit steep. Any advice?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is probably a connection through AMS or CDG. Check who really operates the flights AMS-OPO/CDG-OPO and FAO-AMS/FAO-CDG. My guess it that they're not mainline KLM/AF service but some affiliate carrier that is a codeshare partner but not a DL partner and not a SkyTeam member. Hence, you can't book them with DL miles.

My guess is that you'll want a rental car for Portugal (outside of Lisbon), so I would suggest just flying in and out of LIS. The expressways north and south to Porto and Faro respectively are very good and not particularly crowded as they're toll roads. [Rental cars have transponders and you're automatically charged months later, so you don't have to worry about cash/credit cards or waiting at toll booths.] Much of the way is a very pretty drive. However, when I did this (late June) there were extremely long (hours long for some people) lines at the LIS airport rental car counters. Try to use Hertz Gold service or something similar if at all possible.

Note however that the DL TATL JFK-LIS is operated by a 757 with D1 (IIRC 16 seats) and is seasonal, so you might prefer to do a connection through AMS or CDG to LIS, which IIRC was an AF Joon route last summer but Joon is gone now.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
RT
Originally Posted by flylinda
I am able to book open-jaw BOS-OPO/FAO-BOS with money, but when I substitute miles ,I get an error stating Delta or Partners do not fly those routes. I can do 2 one ways, but 305,000 miles seems a bit steep. Any advice?
Depending on when you wish to travel to Portugal, you may be interested in knowing that Delta will offer seasonal daily nonstop service between BOS and LIS beginning on May 23, 2019, and ending on September 3, 2019.

For the random dates I checked in June, RT award seats are available for 48,000 miles + $54.13.

Last edited by JPG3392; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:33 am Reason: Added clarification.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.