Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD Delta One or Virgin Australia “The Business”?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SYD Delta One or Virgin Australia “The Business”?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
I just did a trip to Sydney, flew DL there and VA back. I will pick VA in the future on this route. The only downside that I found was VA’s movie/TV show selection was not the best.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
VA. Literally the only reason I can think of to take DL instead is Pre-√, and frankly that's not worth it.

Originally Posted by BenA
The one catch with VA to keep in mind is that the inflight bar is incredibly obnoxious - invariably, a couple drunk bozos take up residence there and have loud conversations with each other all flight.
I've never had this problem on either VA or VS, though I don't doubt it could happen.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
OP, what’s the verdict? Did you decide on VA or DL for tonight?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Have taken VA and DL but for this route prefer 787 of UA
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OP, what’s the verdict? Did you decide on VA or DL for tonight?
Decided on VA. I am looking forward to the flight tonight - especially the in-flight bar. I really appreciate everyone’s input and advice on this! DL wont have the new D1 suites for this route until April so I figure it is the older 777-200.

At the Emirates Lounge now which is a huge plus with VA. Not sure if the SkyTeam Lounge is this nice (Don’t think there is a D1 lounge at LAX as of yet). I will post another update on my flight experience when I am in Sydney.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amesco

Decided on VA. I am looking forward to the flight tonight - especially the in-flight bar. I really appreciate everyone’s input and advice on this! DL wont have the new D1 suites for this route until April so I figure it is the older 777-200.

At the Emirates Lounge now which is a huge plus with VA. Not sure if the SkyTeam Lounge is this nice (Don’t think there is a D1 lounge at LAX as of yet). I will post another update on my flight experience when I am in Sydney.
Not sure if this is always the case but the D1 price for tonight was higher than VA.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd go VA. My experiences with D1 crews have skewed that their seniority is a detriment to the quality of their service. DL has much better service domestically. This admittedly is based on 5 D1 flights the last 2 years but they've all been disappointing, miscatered, short on things (champagne!) and the service is full of flaws. My 3 VS PE flights had way better service than my 5 D1 flights. Way better. I know that VS <> VA, but a similar attitude.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Amesco

Good choice ^ You'd use the good old SkyClub if flying DL, as the flight departs from T2. So that's is a huge drop from the Emirates lounge. I have heard sometimes DL41 departs from TBIT but I have not experienced it.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Good choice ^ You'd use the good old SkyClub if flying DL, as the flight departs from T2. So that's is a huge drop from the Emirates lounge. I have heard sometimes DL41 departs from TBIT but I have not experienced it.
The SkyTeam lounge situation in TBIT is even worse - the KE lounge is an okay enough physical space but the amenities are a disgrace. It’s kind of mind boggling there hasn’t been an effort to procure space to build a more appropriate SkyTeam lounge there yet; even when DL builds the new SkyPalace between T2/T3, it won’t serve the other ST international carriers like MU or CI...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by BenA

The SkyTeam lounge situation in TBIT is even worse - the KE lounge is an okay enough physical space but the amenities are a disgrace. It’s kind of mind boggling there hasn’t been an effort to procure space to build a more appropriate SkyTeam lounge there yet; even when DL builds the new SkyPalace between T2/T3, it won’t serve the other ST international carriers like MU or CI...
SkyPalace? Sounds a lot better than the Sky Dump that's in T2 @ LAX.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I literally had to make this exact choice yesterday. Chose VA based on my research. I even made my return flight through BNE so I can avoid the ancient 777 D1, as my flight is in a month and the retrofits won’t be ready yet.

ETA: Based on my calculations, I’ll earn fewer miles with the VA flights (I booked through Delta but the transpac flights are VA) than if I was flying on DL metal BUT the MQM are the same and I care more about that tbh.

Last edited by film_girl; Jan 6, 2019 at 5:33 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:13 pm

I will likely be making this decision for late April or late June. Delta should have the 777 refresh / suites. The thread seemed to favor virgin australia over Delta. Would the refreshed 777 change anyone from Virgin to Delta?

Does Delta dates usually hold. I would hate to book the new plane for late April and get the old plane. i don’t really care as much about atentive smiling service as I would quiet and comfortable.

Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Jon_R
I will likely be making this decision for late April or late June. Delta should have the 777 refresh / suites. The thread seemed to favor virgin australia over Delta. Would the refreshed 777 change anyone from Virgin to Delta?

I've not flown the suites on the 77, just the 350, but I'd still go for VA. Or you could book one each way and write us a comparison.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jon_R

Does Delta dates usually hold. I would hate to book the new plane for late April and get the old plane. i don’t really care as much about atentive smiling service as I would quiet and comfortable.

Thanks.
I'm in a similar predicament flying SYD-LAX in May. Have 2 seats on UA and 2 on DL. I want to cancel the UA seats but only if I can confirm the D1 are suites.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ab2013
SkyPalace? Sounds a lot better than the Sky Dump that's in T2 @ LAX.
It’ll take a few years, but a brand new flagship SkyClub is definitely coming to T2/3 - should at least be as nice as the SEA club, which some FT friends originally coined the SkyPalace moniker for.

The existing T2 lounge is just the decaying old AC lounge hurriedly converted so they’d have a stopgap, and it is for sure a dump (although T3 is worse by far). But DL knows and is working as quickly as permitting and construction allows to fix the situation LAWA dumped in their laps with the terminal move. When all the dust settles on the new T2/3, DL should be set for a decade or more to come.

KE has none of these excuses to fall back on for how lousy their TBIT lounge is - it’s simply them being cheap. I hope someone steps up to the plate and opens a better shared lounge for SkyTeam in the international terminal that can compete better with the wonderful experiences offered by the other alliances in LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.