Delta AmEx MQM Whoops

Old Jan 4, 19, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Delta AmEx MQM Whoops

I ended up being just a tiny bit short of the spending requirement for the bonus MQM from my Delta AmEx Reserve card this year because I didn't know about the fine print that defines total spending as not including fees, etc. Whoops. To make matters worse, I would have reached Diamond with those 15,000 MQM, but, unfortunately, I've now fallen short of the 125,000 MQM too. I've been Diamond for about five years now. Anyone have any advice/experience with asking someone for an exception and succeeding since I was so close?
-Hank
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
What is a "tiny bit"?
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

I think I was about $600 short because of the annual fee plus some other random fee charges.
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Tiny bit in this case is the spending requirement with Amex which doesn't matter now.
If you were few hundred MQMs short of making the DM then contact skymiles guys and they might consider. Anything higher - I'd say not much chance of them being considerate
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:18 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Has your statement closed yet? The MQM Boost doesn't become available until it does (it gets backdated to 2018 even if posted in 2019). Are you sure you didn't make it? What is your year end summary spend amount and your adjustments and fees line on the website?
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:17 pm

You can buy 1,000 MQMs from Delta for $999 these days. Check your Offers/Promotions tab in your SM account. Itís a targeted promotion for many members who are up to 12,500 MQMs short of the next tier.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hhonors Diamond, Intercontinental Plat, Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star, National Exec
Elevate your status Delta is still selling MQM and MQD until February. Your offer prices will vary.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you've satisfied the DL MQD requirements or waiver, then you should still be able to buy some MQMs from DL, but it will be expensive, in fact very expensive for DM. Would you be better taking the rollover and trying to requalify for DM early this year? You'd lose a year of DM choice benefits but otherwise the difference could be minor depending on your travel patterns.

BTW whenever people have recently been asking about getting the AmEx MQMs, I always stress QUALIFYING spend posting by NYE in my response and your situation indicates that it's an important distinction that some people might not notice or be aware of. What did your AmEx spend show on the DL app as NYE approached? AFAIK those estimates include qualified spend only, although they're not updated according to any pattern these days.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 6, 19 at 6:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 6, 19, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to take the rollover and requalify, which isn't the end of the world, really -- I'm just frustrated that I made such an obvious mistake with regard to the AmEx spending since I had planned everything else out so exactly. Yes, my AmEx spending on as shown on the DL app was correct -- it's just that I assumed it was out-of-date. Now, I understand that it wasn't out-of-date, but it just didn't include my fees. Oh well. I've learned my lesson.
Old Jan 6, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW I too missed that too but had planned for a return and resulting credit. With one or the other I was fine, but not both. We called the company hoping to head off the credit and asked for an in-store credit instead. I found the bonus MQM in my account a couple of days ago. I am sure merchant has not yet processed the return. So it remains to be seen if the bonus MQM stick.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If/when the merchant processes the return, your MQMs (and status) could be clawed back.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I had this happen once in our household in 7-8 years (had some returns that credited at the just the wrong time) but ultimately AMEX made an exception, given our yearly and lifetime spend. Not gonna lie, it took some escalations, some hrs wasted on the phone, but it did work out.

FWIW, when the dust settled, the wife was $600-700 short after the credits had posted. The annoying part was that we called before we went on vacay a few days short of NYE to ensure that we hit the "qualified spend" number and only found out that we didn't after she didn't get her boost (which she needed to make DM). Amex was tough, but we didn't budge.
Old Jan 6, 19, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Hankle View Post
I ended up being just a tiny bit short of the spending requirement for the bonus MQM from my Delta AmEx Reserve card this year because I didn't know about the fine print that defines total spending as not including fees, etc. Whoops. To make matters worse, I would have reached Diamond with those 15,000 MQM, but, unfortunately, I've now fallen short of the 125,000 MQM too. I've been Diamond for about five years now. Anyone have any advice/experience with asking someone for an exception and succeeding since I was so close?
-Hank
While I feel for you... data points on this have been know for years.

However, looking at comments it seems, like Delta 250k anyone who wants it waver and grips, you can get this done if you call and ask hard enough! Amazing!
Old Jan 6, 19, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Renes Points View Post
While I feel for you... data points on this have been know for years.

However, looking at comments it seems, like Delta 250k anyone who wants it waver and grips, you can get this done if you call and ask hard enough! Amazing!
While I'm not sure exactly what point you're making, I don't want to give off the notion that if you spend enough and are annoying enough but simply miscalculated your spend with returns or whatever, you're gonna get Amex to relent. In the end, we were able to track back calls, show amex that their calculations were incorrect at various dates along the way, and basically laid out a case that there were issues on their end (and with ours). When it was finally resolved, the sup did note our annual and lifetime spend as a factor for the exception, but not before they admitted to overall calculation issues on their end.
Old Jan 7, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Hankle View Post
Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to take the rollover and requalify, which isn't the end of the world, really -- I'm just frustrated that I made such an obvious mistake with regard to the AmEx spending since I had planned everything else out so exactly.
Bummer Hankle, it sucks when you make a mistake that in retrospect seems obvious, but we've all done it. I try to hit the bonus and then overshoot it by nearly a grand each year, just because I'm worried about my count, about whether there will be any returns, about whether end of year purchases post in December, all that. On the other hand, this means with the rollover you are well on your way to requal for 2020!

Originally Posted by wilsonnyc View Post
While I'm not sure exactly what point you're making, I don't want to give off the notion that if you spend enough and are annoying enough but simply miscalculated your spend with returns or whatever, you're gonna get Amex to relent.
It's not aimed at you, wilsonnyc, what I believe Rene is griping about is that Delta looked to be cleaning up the Diamond ranks by imposing the $250K Amex spend for an MQD waiver, but now Delta is giving out a one-time exception to the $250K spend like candy, woohoo! In fact, I just asked for an exception today...

Last edited by daloosh; Jan 7, 19 at 12:11 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: