FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   no more award ticket to china on delta one below 200K miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1949115-no-more-award-ticket-china-delta-one-below-200k-miles.html)

lfyang Jan 4, 2019 8:33 am

no more award ticket to china on delta one below 200K miles?

Hello fellow flyers, need some inputs/suggestions.
I fly to China every summer (July) with my kids and here's the history of award tickets I got in previous years:
2016: RDU-PEK on Delta One 140K miles
2017: RDU-PEK on Delta One 185K miles
2018: same route it asked for 200K+ miles on Delta, then I found Biz class on China Easten (via JFK) for 195K miles
2019: RDU-PEK on Delta One Suite 600K miles!!!! Yes, 600K!
I booked tickets in January in previous years to get the good deal for the summer, so I thought what I see now would be the best I can get for summer, or not?
Time to switch? I switched from Star Alliance 4 years ago :(
Thanks.

MSPeconomist Jan 4, 2019 8:39 am

If you're DM you can change award tickets for free up to T-72. I'd probably book D1 now as two OW award tickets if you have lots of miles, especially if your dates aren't flexible. Then keep looking. If you can find partner space, it will cost far fewer miles. In addition to MU, look for DE award space through ICN, although there might be black out dates for KE award tickets using DL miles that will preclude this option. It also might be cheaper for instance to book for example SEA-PEK either with connections on DL from RDU to SEA or as a separate ticket, either paid with miles or with money.

lfyang Jan 4, 2019 8:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30608996)
If you're DM you can change award tickets for free up to T-72. I'd probably book D1 now as two OW award tickets if you have lots of miles, especially if your dates aren't flexible. Then keep looking. If you can find partner space, it will cost far fewer miles. In addition to MU, look for DE award space through ICN, although there might be black out dates for KE award tickets using DL miles that will preclude this option. It also might be cheaper for instance to book for example SEA-PEK either with connections on DL from RDU to SEA or as a separate ticket, either paid with miles or with money.

Thank you for quick comments. Yes, I did change the award tickets multiple times before so I also kept that in mind when looking for the deal. 600K miles is way too high for me to afford :( I also checked SEA-PEK and they ask for 385K miles, ATL-PVG seems asking for similar range, so it's seems to be that they ask for crazy 600K with new 350, and 385K for 777/767/etc. Did not have luck to find DE flights in the availability, did find a few options with MU for RDU-PVG through JFK for 170K, but all only have 1 seat available that basically means not available. Perhaps I should just wait.

xliioper Jan 4, 2019 9:00 am

Seeing CSV1000 fares for 100K. These have a 90-day advance purchase requirement. Decent availability for DTW-PEK in late August and Fall. Good outbound availability in June/July, but somewhat limited return. Use flexible dates.

lfyang Jan 4, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 30609101)
Seeing CSV1000 fares for 100K. These have a 90-day advance purchase requirement. Decent availability for DTW-PEK in late August and Fall and a few limited dates in June/July.

Thanks. What is the lowest you saw for DTW-PEK?
How to get the CSV1000 fares?

SmartSky Jan 4, 2019 9:45 am

Not exactly what you're looking for, but please visit us in Tokyo too!

7/03 RDU-DTW-PEK
7/15 "HND"-MSP-DTW-"GSO"
190,000 miles per person, up to 3 people
MSP-DTW will be C+

MSPeconomist Jan 4, 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by lfyang (Post 30609054)
Thank you for quick comments. Yes, I did change the award tickets multiple times before so I also kept that in mind when looking for the deal. 600K miles is way too high for me to afford :( I also checked SEA-PEK and they ask for 385K miles, ATL-PVG seems asking for similar range, so it's seems to be that they ask for crazy 600K with new 350, and 385K for 777/767/etc. Did not have luck to find DE flights in the availability, did find a few options with MU for RDU-PVG through JFK for 170K, but all only have 1 seat available that basically means not available. Perhaps I should just wait.

Again since you're DM and can cancel for free, if you have enough miles in your account, GRAB the 170K miles ticket on MU through JFK NOW and then watch for a second award ticket to appear on the same flights, maybe even with a different RDU-JFK domestic connecting flight unless you're traveling with a small child.

xliioper Jan 4, 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by lfyang (Post 30609156)
Thanks. What is the lowest you saw for DTW-PEK?
How to get the CSV1000 fares?

The 100K CSV1000 fares are the lowest level. Again, use the flexible dates award search to find available dates. Some dates may only have availability routing via SEA.

JTE458 Jan 4, 2019 11:51 am

I've noticed Delta One to Europe has gone the same route. A couple years ago there were usually deals for tix for about 150k miles. Now the cheapest are 350k and it's for 2 stop flights. Nonstop or 1 stop are 500k or more. CRAZY!

JAeX Jan 4, 2019 11:57 am

Have you looked at CI via TPE? I recently booked SFO-TPE for 2 at 85K each in J and found availability was quite good across other dates. However searching for CI awards is a bit of a pain since you need to check each leg individually on Delta's site...

3Cforme Jan 4, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by JTE458 (Post 30609787)
I've noticed Delta One to Europe has gone the same route. A couple years ago there were usually deals for tix for about 150k miles. Now the cheapest are 350k and it's for 2 stop flights. Nonstop or 1 stop are 500k or more. CRAZY!

No, 350K isn't the cheapest for US48/Canada-Europe r/t flights in Delta One or partner business class. LBJ could post some award fare bases and restrictions. Alternately you might expand your searches.

JTE458 Jan 4, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30609933)
No, 350K isn't the cheapest for US48/Canada-Europe r/t flights in Delta One or partner business class. LBJ could post some award fare bases and restrictions. Alternately you might expand your searches.

I'm sure there are some out there, I'm just referring the usual routes/timeframes I have searched and traveled on for years. I don't ever recall flights being 500-600k miles until the past year.

ethernal Jan 4, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30609933)

Of course they exist, but there is difference between existing versus existing sufficiently that they exist for practical purposes.

I get the call of "flexibility", but for the most part, many locations are effectively blacklisted, and flexibility no longer means "look for a Tuesday" but rather "look for one Tuesday in a three month window".

xliioper Jan 4, 2019 12:47 pm

DL low-level TATL J awards are 86K one-way and have a 60-day advance purchase requirement. There are a number of levels that require a roundtrip purchase (so if you are only searching based on one-ways, you will never see them). For example, there are CLSR1400 140K each-way awards that require roundtrip with Sat. night stay (and 21 day advance). Been discussed here a number of times. Partners remain at 75K one-way. There's also a few one-off DL 80K one-way's around Easter with 7-day advance purchase requirement. DL also does reduced rate flash sales from time-to-time (these also require roundtrip purchase).

Xu Guan Jan 4, 2019 1:10 pm

Something to keep in mind is that there is more than one airport in the major cities. When I went to Tawain recently, going to TPE was 300k one way but going to TSA (Taipei Songshan) and KHH (Kaohsiung) we’re both 85k miles (I know KHH is in the south but the high speed train makes up for it). In TSA, I took the reverse flights; Shanghai Airlines to Shanghai before connecting to the Delta and for KHH, it took to me to ICN on China Airlines and the I connected in Mexico City flying the Dreamliner on Aeromexico.

When going to Asia from LAX it can be a crazy redemption for Delta One, but since China Airlines has a flight that goes from ONT to TPE, that flight almost always has redemptions. It can be used sometimes for some great connections through TPE. The 777 product China Airlines is pretty amazing also.

Getting creative with where skyteam partners fly can sometimes allow for some great low redemptions. Not always the fastest flight but you can also get on different airframes Delta doesn’t fly.